The other sports thread

Eleven

If 3's were shot less back when Bird played, and Curry has already made more 3's, than how does that make his performance more impressive?

The total was just an impressive stat. But regardless of how many were shot in their careers... Doing something in two years that it took an NBA Hall of Famer 13 years to do is astonishing. Especially because a huge part of the reason Bird was considered so great was his ability to hit the three ball.

Also carrying over from the "Around the NHL" thread:

The NFL has become the worst major sport to watch.  I'd rather watch NHL, MLB, NCAA FB, NCAA BB, and even the NBA.  I think if not for fantasy sports and nostalgia, the NFL would be in big trouble, but since the money keeps rolling in, nothing will change for the better anytime soon.

They never fell apart. They finished as the one seed and lost in the conference finals to LeBron.

After the all star game they got squwinky.

Started rw a single their press clippings lost their team first mentality. Became individuals. When they didn't read the press or watch espn they were better but the discovered ego and they're it went. They pulled a typical ATL franchise gag job. Braves Falcons Hawks all do it. Braves got lucky with solo home run by David Justice. Am I boo hooing not at all just factual

After the all star game they got squwinky.

Started rw a single their press clippings lost their team first mentality. Became individuals. When they didn't read the press or watch espn they were better but the discovered ego and they're it went. They pulled a typical ATL franchise gag job. Braves Falcons Hawks all do it. Braves got lucky with solo home run by David Justice. Am I boo hooing not at all just factual

Maybe the Hawks just weren't as good as that stretch would have you believe.

They were quite good ...Coach Bud was coach of the year. As I stated when they played as a 6-8 pass before the shot TEAM they were $. Then press accolades all star games and TEAM play was like a Margaret Mitchell novel. Was fun while it lasted

It's also possible teams started clamping down on that style, no? They were a very good team, and getting to the ECF is a very good result. I just don't think they were 19 wins in a row good, overall, even though they managed it for a stretch.

So far Grienke and Price have been decided as 2/5 great FA's of pitching this year. Smardzija just signed a 5 year deal with the Giants, and Lacky goes to the Cubs on a 2 year deal. The Cardinals reportedly offered much more money to Price, which is odd because they don't offer huge contracts, especially to older players, and they lose Lacky, so the team with the best record in the MLB has lost out twice. With Carpenter/Wainright (can't remember) going out every other year with significant injuries, this could be big for them

Meanwhile, no news on Zobrist, Cespedes, or Murphy. The Yankees lost Chris Young, and have been rumored to be in on Heyward. They desperately need Zobrist and another power bat because they simply can't rely on a 8000 year old A-Rod and Tex to carry them like they did last yera

I think Syracuse football made a good up-and-coming hire as their new football coach.  He's bringing the Baylor offensive philosophy so at least they'll likely be more entertaining.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25401915/reports-syracuse-to-hire-bowling-greens-dino-babers-as-coach

Name is Dino Babers though :w00t:

2 good years at Bowling Green and 2 good years at Eastern Illinois before this.  I don't think their program can get much worse, so I'm glad they took a shot at a new guy instead of a retread.

I think Syracuse football made a good up-and-coming hire as their new football coach. He's bringing the Baylor offensive philosophy so at least they'll likely be more entertaining.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25401915/reports-syracuse-to-hire-bowling-greens-dino-babers-as-coach

Name is Dino Babers though :w00t:

2 good years at Bowling Green and 2 good years at Eastern Illinois before this. I don't think their program can get much worse, so I'm glad they took a shot at a new guy instead of a retread.

I actually watched the MAC title game and said "wow, I guess Bowling Green can score."

We'll see how it goes.

He better teach Syracuse some defense. They will need it.

From what I gather he's definitely an offensive guy, so maybe they'll try to win games 59-55?  :P

Also, Syracuse got screwed when they joined the ACC.  They were placed in the same division as both FSU and Clemson.  Have to play both of the perennially strongest teams in the league every year.  Pitt somehow got the much more manageable division.  Much more of an uphill climb for Syracuse to return to any respectability imo.

From what I gather he's definitely an offensive guy, so maybe they'll try to win games 59-55?  :P

Also, Syracuse got screwed when they joined the ACC.  They were placed in the same division as both FSU and Clemson.  Have to play both of the perennially strongest teams in the league every year.  Pitt somehow got the much more manageable division.  Much more of an uphill climb for Syracuse to return to any respectability imo.

They would still have to beat one of those 2 teams every year regardless as long as they remain good.  ACC champion requires you to go through them.  It is like the SEC almost where there are always several good teams fighting it out.

Syracuse is probably 2-3 years away from anything. They really need to work on recruitment and idk how they can compete against some of the other schools. We shall see.

Well the Cubs landed the big FA in my book, nabbing Zobrist at a 4 year deal. That's a great, great move for them. The Yankees get Starlin Castro from them, who I'm really not big on but we needed a 2b badly; I was hoping Zobrist will fill that void but I guess not. Plus, the Cubs got Warren (reliever) from us, which is another big plus for them. If the Cubs rookies can produce like they did last year, don't be surprised to see a Cubs WS appearance. I'll be rooting for them

The Nats want Chapman to fill their terrible closer spot, and Heyward to replace the bat Werth has forgot to use. I would love to see a Nats-Cubs NLCS, no loser there for me 

Well the Cubs landed the big FA in my book, nabbing Zobrist at a 4 year deal. That's a great, great move for them. The Yankees get Starlin Castro from them, who I'm really not big on but we needed a 2b badly; I was hoping Zobrist will fill that void but I guess not. Plus, the Cubs got Warren (reliever) from us, which is another big plus for them. If the Cubs rookies can produce like they did last year, don't be surprised to see a Cubs WS appearance. I'll be rooting for them

The Nats want Chapman to fill their terrible closer spot, and Heyward to replace the bat Werth has forgot to use. I would love to see a Nats-Cubs NLCS, no loser there for me

Cashman seems intent on trading the entire Yankees bullpen. The Castro for Warren swap was good for both teams though. And the Yankees may still move Brett Gardner and Andrew Miller.

Chapman would be the prefect fit for the closer spot in Washington. He's just as familiar with choking people and slamming them into a wall as Jonathan Papelbon is. Bryce Harper is shivering in a corner somewhere.

Cashman seems intent on trading the entire Yankees bullpen. The Castro for Warren swap was good for both teams though. And the Yankees may still move Brett Gardner and Andrew Miller.

Chapman would be the prefect fit for the closer spot in Washington. He's just as familiar with choking people and slamming them into a wall as Jonathan Papelbon is. Bryce Harper is shivering in a corner somewhere.

Which is absurd. Our bullpen was our only strength. I'll be pretty pissed if we trade Miller. Leaves Betances as the closer now and no 8th inning man.

Gardner I'm okay with moving, having Jacoby and some really solid outfield prospects coming up. Then again, with Young gone I really don't want Beltran playing the field in right

Heyward goes to the Cubs, another big grab by them

Which is absurd. Our bullpen was our only strength. I'll be pretty pissed if we trade Miller. Leaves Betances as the closer now and no 8th inning man.

Gardner I'm okay with moving, having Jacoby and some really solid outfield prospects coming up. Then again, with Young gone I really don't want Beltran playing the field in right

Heyward goes to the Cubs, another big grab by them

Young will be replaced by Aaron Hicks. They fill the exact same need. 4th outfielder who absolutely mash lefties. I'm not ok with trading Miller either for the reasons you stated, but closers have been fetching a lot in trades this month.

Heyward to the Cubs.....damn!

Both fighters made weight... No backing out of the title fight now. Let's do this.

Conor looked oddly famished tonight. It's always amazing to see the difference in these guys from weigh-ins to the actual fight. They blow up the second they're done with weigh-ins.