The other sports thread

Eleven

My level of hatred for all things Yankees has no match but Jeter's handling of ass has me at a whole new level of respect. He did it right. He pounded every piece from NY to LA during his career and as it comes to an end he goes all in on this magnificence. Too many athletes marry young, cheat, divorce and have to give away the farm but Jeter did it right, sell high. Boom!

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/10/03/report-derek-jeters-hush-hush-bash-could-be-a-wedding/

Matt Williams might be the dumbest manager in the history of baseball. And I know that says a lot.

EDIT: For the record, I wrote that before the Giants scored in the 18th. It was so stupid to pull Zimmermann.

Edited by Eleven

Matt Williams might be the dumbest manager in the history of baseball. And I know that says a lot.

EDIT: For the record, I wrote that before the Giants scored in the 18th. It was so stupid to pull Zimmermann.

It's his first year, so I'll give him a slight pass.

However, Mike Rizzo is the most overrated exec in baseball. People give him credit for "good drafting," but there were no other choices than Harper and Strasburg. Rendon was an obvious pick despite his injuries. Outside of that there isn't anything to get excited about. His moves for Gonzalez and Fister are nice, but he's made a lot of questionable moves: shutting down Strasburg when the team was a true contender, moving Morse who was tearing it up in favor of fielding and never replacing the bat, acquiring an inconsistent Rafael Soriano (who was HORRIBLE in the second half this year) when he already had a fantastic back end and a few others that slip my mind.

He keeps making "meh" moves but keeps gets promotions in the organization.

(If you can't tell, I'm a Nationals "fan").

It's his first year, so I'll give him a slight pass.

However, Mike Rizzo is the most overrated exec in baseball. People give him credit for "good drafting," but there were no other choices than Harper and Strasburg. Rendon was an obvious pick despite his injuries. Outside of that there isn't anything to get excited about. His moves for Gonzalez and Fister are nice, but he's made a lot of questionable moves: shutting down Strasburg when the team was a true contender, moving Morse who was tearing it up in favor of fielding and never replacing the bat, acquiring an inconsistent Rafael Soriano (who was HORRIBLE in the second half this year) when he already had a fantastic back end and a few others that slip my mind.

He keeps making "meh" moves but keeps gets promotions in the organization.

(If you can't tell, I'm a Nationals "fan").

I haven't been a rabid fan since before the team left Montreal, but I still follow them. Yanking Zim was the ultimate act of idiocy, cost the Nats the game, and cost me about three hours. So f Matt Williams.

I haven't been a rabid fan since before the team left Montreal, but I still follow them. Yanking Zim was the ultimate act of idiocy, cost the Nats the game, and cost me about three hours. So f Matt Williams.

Yea, pitching mismanagement seems to be an epidemic in Washington. Ridiculous.

Definitely. Still think it's too high for them both to be at number 3. But so many teams got upset this week that somebody had to move up. Why not them?

Man, if the SEC East team gets the upset in the SEC championship game, College football might implode. The SEC West alone would probably be the best conference in college football.

Definitely. Still think it's too high for them both to be at number 3. But so many teams got upset this week that somebody had to move up. Why not them?

Nah. They both have earned their ranking with their games played so far, especially Miss St. with the wins over LSU and Texas A&M back to back, LSU on the road (one of the hardest places to play in College Football). Ole Miss's D is just a wrecking ball.

We'll see if they can maintain it this week. Miss St has the harder test, although Texas A&M is hosting Ole Miss. Either way, they'll be good games for sure.

French F1 driver Jules Bianchi was in a brutal wreck Sunday at the Japanese Gran Prix (Suzuka). Going into one of the more challenging turns in the course, his car slid off the rainy, slippery track (likely aqua-planing) into a construction vehicle that was clearing a car that had over run the turn just one lap previous. He suffered severe head trauma and is fighting for his life.

Crash footage in gif form.

Same footage, slow motion.

Detroit... Starting 3 of Verlander, Scherzer & Price, out they go in 3.

Anaheim... Star studded lineup, out they go in 3.

Nationals...Very good starting pitching and a solid lineup, they may also go out in 3.

Cardinals and Dodgers...Your aces both get shelled in game #1, can't wait to see how this series plays out.

I have found a renewed interest in baseball, after many years of disgust over the big spenders dominating for years on end.

French F1 driver Jules Bianchi was in a brutal wreck Sunday at the Japanese Gran Prix (Suzuka). Going into one of the more challenging turns in the course, his car slid off the rainy, slippery track (likely aqua-planing) into a construction vehicle that was clearing a car that had over run the turn just one lap previous. He suffered severe head trauma and is fighting for his life.

Crash footage in gif form.

Same footage, slow motion.

How about this one?