The other sports thread

Eleven

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

The thought of the Phillies winning the WS makes me

🤮🤮🤮.

Absolutely hate all things Philthadelphia. 

Jump on the Rangers bandwagon.  We have Jonah Heim.  🙂

The Rangers are kind of the Buffalo Bills of the MLB:  been to the finals, still haven't won it.  Root for them and the Bills and the Sabres to all win their first title this season.

Edited by Doohickie

On 10/16/2023 at 9:31 PM, LabattBlue said:

The thought of the Phillies winning the WS makes me

🤮🤮🤮.

Absolutely hate all things Philthadelphia. 

Funny thing...as a Buffalo fan, its almost required to hate Philadelphia and Boston Sports teams.  For the most part I do.  When I watch those teams, I also tend to hate them even more because I cannot stand their fanbases.

But, lf all the places I have traveled across this country....Boston is my favorite region to visit.  We visited Philly last year for the first time in over 20 years, and we had a great time there also (might be my 2nd favorite city to visit behind Boston). So, hate their sports teams, hate the fanbases, but for me love the cities/regions.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Doohickie said:

84i6zk.thumb.jpg.32193fead49af85c936ad562ec7f6c94.jpg

Turned it on and it was already 5-0 in the second. The worst. Nothing against the Rangers just a neutral observer who loves baseball 

Thought we might be in line for a classic series after what we saw in the league championships.. looks like we might be getting something more along the lines of what we saw in every postseason series this year before that round 

• Agree 1

Just now, Doohickie said:

Interesting factoid:  The 5 runs in the 2nd and the 5 in the 3rd all came with 2 outs.  Never in the history of MLB postseason has a team scored 10 runs with 2 outs.

Like in a single game? 

I also read online they were the first team in a World Series to score 5 in back to back innings 

• Like (+1) 1

Go Rangers. Melancholy shout out to Frank Howard who died this past week. He was an idol of mine as a kid when he played for the Washington Senators.. a 6-7 260 giant who could hit HR's a mile out of the park. Hit the last HR for Washington and the 1st for Texas when they moved there.  Met him 30 years back and it's well known how nice of a man he was to all.  Win it for Frank. 

Edited by Night Train
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

The only thing I'm interested in is a Rangers WS championship.  I'm not concerned with ratings or winning at home.  They were within one strike of winning it all in 2011 and couldn't close the deal.  My only concern is closing the deal.

As a Cleveland fan, I understand that. Hell, the last team to blow a 3-1 World Series lead was Cleveland in 2016.  Hopefully you won't have to endure the same fate.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JujuFish said:

As a Cleveland fan, I understand that. Hell, the last team to blow a 3-1 World Series lead was Cleveland in 2016.  Hopefully you won't have to endure the same fate.

I remember the 95 Indians; I was living in Detroit at the time and we saw them in the old Tiger Stadium on Labor Day.  One of the finest days of my life for several reasons, among them the fact that that was the only game out of the 4-game series with Cleveland that the Tigers won.

59 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

The only thing I'm interested in is a Rangers WS championship.  I'm not concerned with ratings or winning at home.  They were within one strike of winning it all in 2011 and couldn't close the deal.  My only concern is closing the deal.

harry potter book GIF

As a neutral, I’ll root for 7 games 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

@GASabresIUFAN, saddened for your loss.  

Bobby Knight passed away today.

Had a couple of fun run ins with him when I was student.  Once my friends and I were out for dinner at a local Italian joint.  Coach sat down next to us.  I ordered Manicotti with a side a meatballs.  Coach said to me that that sounded good and ordered the same thing. We had a good time talking to Coach that night.

He was a complicated man who did many things well and some things terribly. However, my experiences with him were always positive.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1