[OT] Who should you vote for this November?

Weave

Let's see if we can do this without it devolving into a political pissing match.....

Stumbled upon this interesting web poll. http://www.isidewith...l-election-quiz

If you select "Choose another stance" for each question it will give you more, and more detailed responses. Also, most of the sections have a choice at the bottom of the section to show more questions. Use those features to get a more detailed result.

I don't know how accurate it is but it gave me some interesting results. I've known for some time that neither D's nor R's appeal to me anymore. Until this poll I had no idea my differences with the two mainstream parties! I disagreed with both in the majority of questions. And I must be the definition of an NY independent because my responses agreed with only 18% of NY voters and 26% of American voters overall. With opposition like that it's no wonder I am cynical about my chances of getting represented. :unsure:

I posted this because I thought more than a few of you would be surprised by which candidate may best represent their views.

I like the fact there are actual choices to the questions. Too many issues are not black and white.

It's the old...."who is electable?" problem. I came up 93% Johnson 83% Paul 75% Romney......sad thing is, until further notice, stuck voting for Romney even if he makes my skin crawl.

Dwight. I know it will go off the rails but a good convo that could come out of this is the "vote who would best rep you" vs "electable and close enough".

For me personally, voting for someone who is close enough but not really who I want is no longer an option. And IMO that sort of thinking has led to the morass of the current two party system.

Your mileage may vary

I'll say a prayer for you. :P

As long as it's not to the Porcelain God I'm OK with it.

I like the fact there are actual choices to the questions. Too many issues are not black and white.

It's the old...."who is electable?" problem. I came up 93% Johnson 83% Paul 75% Romney......sad thing is, until further notice, stuck voting for Romney even if he makes my skin crawl.

I'll be voting for Obama even though I feel he has not lived up to the billing of when he was first elected. I would never consider Romney because he represents, IMO, the biggest evil in the world, big business.

Dwight. I know it will go off the rails but a good convo that could come out of this is the "vote who would best rep you" vs "electable and close enough".

For me personally, voting for someone who is close enough but not really who I want is no longer an option. And IMO that sort of thinking has led to the morass of the current two party system.

Your mileage may vary

until people have their pension funds seized and bread is $12 a loaf......we are stuck. The Tea Party got a little rah-rah going and couldn't sustain. I am convinced we need to hit rock bottom now. If we stopped this in 2007-08...there was a chance at normalcy down the road.

So registered as a Republican, but vote all over the spectrum. I last voted for BO. So color me surprised that I'm 89% Green. I don't even know what the Green party is....

I consider myself a true independent voter. I am registered as Republican only to be able to vote in the primaries. I have gone from leaning R to D to R to I in my life. I have voted for both R and D and I for President.

I'll vote for BO again because I think the Republicans continue to frustrate me with their stances on many issues. Their failure to compromise on ANYTHING is maddening to me. And for the love of all that is holy, can we please stop nominating candidates from Massachussetts?

I probably would have voted for Ron Paul had he survived.

I posted this because I thought more than a few of you would be surprised by which candidate may best represent their views.

The only thing that surprised me is that by putting in my own answer to about 1/4 of the questions, (yeah, there were a lot of 'nuanced' answers available, but many of them weren't nuanced enough for me - who'd've guessed ;))I ended up 'agreeing' at over 50% w/ a LOT of the candidates. And one of them at 88%.

Each of the %ages I ended up w/ would likely be reduced by 25-50% if I'd've chosen nuanced responses that were 'close.'

All I can say is, if you're not satisfied with the candidates, then don't vote. It's not as if your'e going to affect the outcome.

Better to vote for someone outside the two-party system. If enough people do that, it should cause a shift in the policies of the big two.

Not voting will definitely not affect the outcome.

Better to vote for someone outside the two-party system. If enough people do that, it should cause a shift in the policies of the big two.

Yes.

I've voted for a major candidate for president exactly once. The fact that some of these smaller parties (Tea, Green) are starting to get more attention seems good to me even if I don't necessarily agree with their platforms/agendas/etc.

The exercise weave linked to revealed no surprises for me. But it is nice to see that the creators didn't see everything as black/white.

The parties have been co-opting ideas from various 3rd parties for 200 years. If voting for a 3rd party makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, fine. But unless you plan on organizing a massive voter mobilization effort for 3rd parties, don't pretend just voting for them will amount to anything that doesn't already happen.

Yes.

I've voted for a major candidate for president exactly once. The fact that some of these smaller parties (Tea, Green) are starting to get more attention seems good to me even if I don't necessarily agree with their platforms/agendas/etc.

The exercise weave linked to revealed no surprises for me. But it is nice to see that the creators didn't see everything as black/white.

One 'nice' thing about living in NYS is that a 3rd party vote can be made w/ clear conscience that it won't end up costing a voters' 2nd (or 3rd or whatever rank the D or R falls to) choice the election because if a single vote ends up costing either the President or Mr. Romney the election in NYS then the President is in a world of hurting in the rest of the country. (And yes for the slower among our bretheren/sisteren (I know that's not a real word. What the heck is the female equivalent of the word bretheren?) 'nice' was put in quotes for a reason.)

NYS is a lock for the D's and if somehow it isn't, welcome back to 1984 w/ either Illinois or California playing the role of Minnesota.

The parties have been co-opting ideas from various 3rd parties for 200 years. If voting for a 3rd party makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, fine. But unless you plan on organizing a massive voter mobilization effort for 3rd parties, don't pretend just voting for them will amount to anything that doesn't already happen.

True. Third parties rise to power in House elections at best, not Executive, however a third party will only become viable when they're viable at the local and state level. Otherwise, the platforms and sentiments are typically absorbed by the major parties in an effort to pool votes.

Archived