[OT] Who should you vote for this November?

Weave

You might want to take a look at Answers in Genesis. They're quite comprehensive. After all, you seem to be receptive to checking things out from all angles.

Not to insult those who obviously do not have a Gospel-centered worldview, but I wonder if they have a firm foundation in anything. To me, it seems like randomness is being tossed in the waves of a raging sea.

Gotta love the "I'm not trying to insult anyone but here's an insult" line. No firm foundation in anything? Are you kidding me? What kind of firm foundation is choosing to believe an invisible man in the sky did it when there's absolutely no proof of his existence? Sounds like a cop out to avoid actual learning to me.

XC, you could rephrase to, "The Gospel Centered world view allows me to have a firm foundation in scripture to explain the world around me. I don't see that same foundation in a science-only based view of the world. To me, it seems, the randomness required for the scientific explanations it too much to accept, allowing little room for a firm grasp on how the world works.

Drunkard, you could rephrase, "The Gospel centered world view ignores too much of what we can explain. Science may not have a firm grasp on all things, but the understanding that we do have is firm enough on some things, and my understanding of the Gospel Teachings would force a believer to ignore many of the things that we do understand to a near certainty. This selective acceptance of the observed world is too much to accept."

And then we can get back to an excellent, albeit sensitive, conversation without hurling insults.

Carry on.

I always hate the "Either/Or"ness of these discussions. I don't go to church,.. at all, but why are the two things mutually exclusive? Couldn't science be just a way to quantify or explain what "God" did. I at least leave that possibility open.

And as far as the election, to think that one party's set of values would work for the entire country is pretty ridiculous. That's why there are elections every 2-4-6 years, to create that ebb and flow. It's the alarmism that drive's me nuts when the flow goes away from someone's "side".

If I believe money literally grows on trees, does the existence of money prove my thesis? There are probably better arguments--- but that's a straw man.

Actually, money does grow on trees - sort of. Think about it. Trees have to be cut down and turned into paper, which is then used to print fiat currency (with no gold backing BTW).

As for the straw man, I disagree with you. There's nothing straw man about it.

In that case, NO OFFENSE, but anyone who takes the Bible literally is a moron. I fail to see how the little disclaimer makes up the insult but if you can do it, then so can I. The fact of the matter is that modern science didn't exist back when the Bible was written by those ancient humans therefore you can't expect the Bible to contain anything of scientific value.

Both you and I being here is not proof of God's existence no matter how much you want to claim it does. Maybe if creationists and intelligent design advocates actually applied the scientific method to their theory they could see that, but I doubt it'll ever happen.

Great website though. I guess we can consider Hannah Barbera a great scientific duo as well because they had the whole humans riding dinosaurs thing nailed when they made the Flintstones.

Answer me this: what is the beginning of knowledge?

Actually, money does grow on trees - sort of. Think about it. Trees have to be cut down and turned into paper, which is then used to print fiat currency (with no gold backing BTW).

one final clarification, money is made from Cotton, which grows on a shrub, not a tree. :)

one final clarification, money is made from Cotton, which grows on a shrub, not a tree. :)

ok, you got me there, but it's still fiat currency at the end of the day.

EDIT: While we're on the subject of cotton, if enough of it is grown and made into "money", then it sure should help the South rise again. :)

Answer me this: what is the beginning of knowledge?

Money is fully cut, printed, serialized and ready to spend. If I believed that grew on trees I would be wrong--- it wouldn't be true because believe it.

The Bible is true because the Bible tells me so is not a sound argument--- you can do better.

Archived