Soccer (Football) ~ Everything About The Beautiful Game

Sabres Fan in NS

the best soccer goal that I ever have seen live

They were completely less fit than Madrid.  

Agreed x2.

That goal was RIDONK.

And it really looked as though it would be a heavyweight slugfest, but then -- it seemed as though Madrid just ran them out of the stadium.

You were talking about nice contracts somewhere on here..how about Ronaldo and his $40 million per year contract and of course he also takes in another 40mil or so from endorsements. his net worth is estimated at 400 million! not bad...  

You were talking about nice contracts somewhere on here..how about Ronaldo and his $40 million per year contract and of course he also takes in another 40mil or so from endorsements. his net worth is estimated at 400 million! not bad...  

If that was directed at me you have the wrong guy. 

######, somehow I was thinking yesterday was only a friendly so I didn't tune in!

Also, on that second goal, that pass by Jozi was fire.

Going to the FC Buffalo game Sunday afternoon, maybe right to Mes Que afterwards for the late game is the right play. Thats a big time gap, but I'm sure I'll find something to fill it with (beer).

Edited by sabills

• 1 month later...

No hockey fan can possibly settle for futbol as a sport. Same GD sport. Goalie Defense and offense accept Hockey is much faster and way more physical.

That is all

I'm glad that is all.

If you don't want to participate in a productive way in any thread you shouldn't.

Breaking News ...

The head of Spanish Football and FIFA VP Angel Maria Villar has been arrested in a corruption sting.

FIFA is a joke.

FIFA is indeed a joke, however I'm willing to overlook more of their nonsense than I am with the IOC or the NCAA. FIFA, at least, lacks the pretense that the other two positively ooze; that they're in fact some sort of beneficent charity organization. If you're gonna do it, do it right.

Should have posted here before, but I ended up going to the USMNT Gold Cup game in Cleveland on Saturday. A group of friends was going and invited me but I had begged off (I had in my head that it was the same weekend as my wife's birthday), but then when last week came around and I was free that day I bought a ticket and met them down there: 

eoaDUaz.jpg

It was very cool; my first time at an international match. Granted, the US lineup was a little disappointing since A) its a WCQ year and B) we were already guaranteed to make it to the next round, so it was kind of the B-team of the B-team, but still it was cool to see the team, and I got to see Bruce Arena from pretty close up, plus we won (despite missing two penalties). Next time they're close I'll be making an effort to go again. 

No hockey fan can possibly settle for futbol as a sport. Same GD sport. Goalie Defense and offense accept Hockey is much faster and way more physical.

That is all

*worlds largest eyeroll*

Also: FIFA may well have planted the bomb that destroys itself with the Quatar World Cup decision. There is absolutely no sense in any of it, other than "I was payed well to vote for them". From the human rights abuses, to the fact that there is no way you can have soccer games in the summer there (it was always the plan to swing it to winter, IMO), to what is sure to be the negative experience of most of the world's fans, it's a non starter.

Look for one of the following two things to happen: Either it gets moved or the big clubs finally break off and form a non FIFA sanctioned super league and the best players don't go. Kinda hoping the second thing happens, frankly.

Also: FIFA may well have planted the bomb that destroys itself with the Quatar World Cup decision. There is absolutely no sense in any of it, other than "I was payed well to vote for them". From the human rights abuses, to the fact that there is no way you can have soccer games in the summer there (it was always the plan to swing it to winter, IMO), to what is sure to be the negative experience of most of the world's fans, it's a non starter.

Look for one of the following two things to happen: Either it gets moved or the big clubs finally break off and form a non FIFA sanctioned super league and the best players don't go. Kinda hoping the second thing happens, frankly.

We may add to that bomb the fact that the World Cup format is going to change in 2026 to a 48-team format, moving on from the 32-team format. Such a horsesh1t decision for the sake of a greasy buck (or several billion greasy bucks).

We may add to that bomb the fact that the World Cup format is going to change in 2026 to a 48-team format, moving on from the 32-team format. Such a horsesh1t decision for the sake of a greasy buck (or several billion greasy bucks).

I actually argued on twitter with Raphael Honigstein (if you're into soccer, you know who this is) about that. It's a bald-faced throwaway to "lesser" nations that has a net negative impact on both qualifying (which is a soul-destroying bore at the best of times) and the tournament itself. It's unworkable and stupid.

Still, better than the IOC and NCAA if we're keeping score.

I actually argued on twitter with Raphael Honigstein (if you're into soccer, you know who this is) about that. It's a bald-faced throwaway to "lesser" nations that has a net negative impact on both qualifying (which is a soul-destroying bore at the best of times) and the tournament itself. It's unworkable and ###### stupid.

Still, better than the IOC and NCAA if we're keeping score.

I am, but don't.

Perhaps I'm insufficiently into soccer.

I am, but don't.

Perhaps I'm insufficiently into soccer.

German soccer journo (I was born in Germany and follow that league closely, although my hometown Stuttgart is terrible and in the Second division). He does a lot of English language stuff as well. Perhaps I'm unfairly attributing anyone following the sport with my own obsession.

• 1 month later...

First he gets a yellow for outlandish goal celebration.

Then a yellow ... red for diving in the box.

Then a 4 match suspension (on top of the automatic 1 for the red card) for shoving the ref who dared to yellow ... yellow ... red him ...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/cristiano-rinaldo-suspension-pushed-referee-1.4246226

That CR7 is in a league of his own and good on the ref and the Spanish Football Federation for showing the balls to stand up to his antics.

This kid is going to be great.  Just 18.

He is of Croatian heritage.  So, he was bound to be a great footballer.

I disagree. I think Pulisic is already great now. Kid is a regular starter for a Champions League club. Goal and an assist today against Wolfsburg. Christian is arguably the best American player on the planet right now (as a teenager).