Soccer (Football) ~ Everything About The Beautiful Game

Sabres Fan in NS

This is the biggest problem, as Sabres79 also pointed out.  They can only develop so far in MLS, which I would put somewhere between the English Championship and League One in terms of quality.  Our players need to be up against top-flight competition  all year round.  

As for the immigration issues, European teams have no trouble signing players from outside the EU (plenty of Africans, Asians, and South Americans), and the EU isn't going to be an issue for one particular country soon, anyway.

US Soccer needs to get away from the idea of preferring MLS players if this ever is going to work.

The terrifying thing is that Klinsmann's attempts to do just this is more or less what got him run out of the job on a rail the second the federation had the slightest excuse.  Landon Donovan's boo-boo face will not be un-avenged, after all. 

The terrifying thing is that Klinsmann's attempts to do just this is more or less what got him run out of the job on a rail the second the federation had the slightest excuse.  Landon Donovan's boo-boo face will not be un-avenged, after all. 

Removing the nostalgia of Donovan was the first step, but the US Soccer leaders didn't let Klinsmann follow through and clean out all the old veterans, since he was removed at the first sign of trouble.

The ironic thing is they made the switch as a measure to prevent the USMNT from missing the World Cup, which is exactly what happened anyways with Arena.

You guys have wonderfully proven my point about NA football player development.

And, Boyes, of the 4 players playing in Europe the only one that I see as having a great career on a top European club is the wonder kid.

Placing guys on top European clubs is certainly the holy grail in USA soccer development. Pulisic is already there and is recognized in Europe as a world class player (nominated for the "Golden Boy" award this year). But, we have a number of young players in Europe or on the way who have a shot at playing time on top teams in the future:

Weston McKennie & Haji Wright & Nick Taitague (all at Schalke), Tyler Adams (at NY Red Bulls, being scouted by English clubs), Josh Sargent (signed with Werder Bremen), Tim Weah (at PSG), Cameron Carter-Vickers (Tottenham on loan at Sheffield), Josh Perez (Fiorentina on loan at Livorno), Erik Palmer-Brown (at KC, just signed with Manchester City), Gedion Zelalem (Arsenal - currently hurt)... I'm sure I'm missing some. Alll of these guys are 20 and under.

Donovan might have helped this crappy team.  And that says something.

Seriously, we need the men's team to get more drunk and more kicked out of Disney parks.

Awesome.

But seriously, the best international soccer teams (men's) deal with this pretty frequently.

We happened to have a completely psycho keeper and a couple of women who, well, maybe had a bit or two too much.

(Glad Solo is gone.)

Donovan might have helped this crappy team.  And that says something.

Meh. There's a really good "Concept of Landon Donovan" argument to be had. Not now, obviously. But the dude had all the talent in the world and absolutely non existent of the desire necessary to do anything with it. Flashes here and there, but take him more than fifteen feet outside of SoCal, and the results were generally never good.

Meh. There's a really good "Concept of Landon Donovan" argument to be had. Not now, obviously. But the dude had all the talent in the world and absolutely non existent of the desire necessary to do anything with it. Flashes here and there, but take him more than fifteen feet outside of SoCal, and the results were generally never good.

Thus my second sentence.

U-17 World Cup knockout stages going on right now. USA is playing Paraguay. Strong USA team with many good attacking players (Weah, Sargent, Carlton, Akinola). You'll see several of these guys on the men's national team in 5-6 years.

Dominating 5-0 win for the USA over previously undefeated Paraguay. Hat trick by Tim Weah (PSG; son of former World Footballer of the Year George Weah), one from Josh Sargent (Werder Bremen), one from Andrew Carlton (Atlanta for now, he has the talent to be signed by a top club). As crappy as our men's national team is, this is arguably the most talented U17 side we've ever fielded.

On to the Quarterfinals against England or Japan on Saturday.

Dominating 5-0 win for the USA over previously undefeated Paraguay. Hat trick by Tim Weah (PSG; son of former World Footballer of the Year George Weah), one from Josh Sargent (Werder Bremen), one from Andrew Carlton (Atlanta for now, he has the talent to be signed by a top club). As crappy as our men's national team is, this is arguably the most talented U17 side we've ever fielded.

On to the Quarterfinals against England or Japan on Saturday.

Google George Weah and you'll learn some interesting things.  

Google George Weah and you'll learn some interesting things.  

He may be the next president of corrupt Liberia it seems.

BTW - my former University of Rochester classmate ran, but then dropped out at some point: https://www.voanews.com/a/liberia-former-foreign-minister-enters-presidential-race/3335198.html

Edited by Potato

That a key USMNT prospect has bomb-ass pedigree?

Or were you alluding to some other fact(s)?

George Weah is running for president of Liberia.  Which would be awesome, except it appears that he is supported by Charles Taylor (whose wife is his running mate).  Taylor, of course, was sentenced to 50 years' imprisonment for war crimes.

I don't know what that candlestick means but I did think it was common knowledge that Charles Taylor was quite the evil warlord.

I'm apparently under-read and/or under-informed.

Wiki'd it, and I can see why this was a gap for me: The guy appears to have done his misdeeds during a period of time when we had several kids under the age of 4 in the home.

I'm apparently under-read and/or under-informed.

Wiki'd it, and I can see why this was a gap for me: The guy appears to have done his misdeeds during a period of time when we had several kids under the age of 4 in the home.

That could do it.

Thank you!

You're welcome.

I decided to start watching soccer about a month ago. I'm very disappointed that Gareth Bale is hurt. I dig his pure speed.

Real has all the talent in the world but Harry Kane is on fire right now. Who takes it?

Boom, Harry Kane. Spurs 1, Real 0

Edited by ubkev