Soccer (Football) ~ Everything About The Beautiful Game

Sabres Fan in NS

Champions League groups set:

DIAmv8dUIAAjpn6.jpg

Groups B, C, and H look to be tough sledding - especially H. Spurs got a rough draw there.

As a Liverpool fan, I think I have to be pleased that the Reds got matched with probably the weakest draws from both Pots 1 and 4. Sevilla is a good club, though.

Freaking Kopites walking to the elimination rounds.

So, is anyone else in full on panic mode considering the latest WC2018 qualifier results?

It's almost as if Klinsmann wasn't personally responsible for our garbage players playing like garbage.  Funny, that.

That having been said, there's no chance at all the US won't qualify.*  There's equally no chance they'll do anything in Russia. 

*I reserve the right to retract this statement if they somehow lose to Honduras. 

So, is anyone else in full on panic mode considering the latest WC2018 qualifier results?

Yes.

It's almost as if Klinsmann wasn't personally responsible for our garbage players playing like garbage.  Funny, that.

That having been said, there's no chance at all the US won't qualify.*  There's equally no chance they'll do anything in Russia. 

*I reserve the right to retract this statement if they somehow lose to Honduras. 

Klinsmann?

Yeah; he's been gone for a while now, no?

He has, but if he indeed needed to be fired, then US Soccer should probably have had a better idea about replacing him than an old one that didn't work all that well the last time they tried it. 

Truth is, our players aren't all that good (with one obvious crazygonuts exception) and I'm not sure it matters who coaches this team. 

Actually, I'll amend that.  Arena took the US to its best ever results.  In 2002.  Jobbed out of a spot in the WC Semifinals.  Still, not sure he's up to making this bunch better than the sum of thier parts either. 

He has, but if he indeed needed to be fired, then US Soccer should probably have had a better idea about replacing him than an old one that didn't work all that well the last time they tried it. 

Truth is, our players aren't all that good (with one obvious crazygonuts exception) and I'm not sure it matters who coaches this team. 

Actually, I'll amend that.  Arena took the US to its best ever results.  In 2002.  Jobbed out of a spot in the WC Semifinals.  Still, not sure he's up to making this bunch better than the sum of thier parts either. 

Second best ever result (we were semifinalists once), but I get your point better now.  They definitely could have been more creative with the search for a new coach.

Still, I think the problem really is the roster, as you say.

Spain is taking Italy to the woodshed.  1-0 after 13 minutes, I don't think Italy has actually touched the ball yet...

Well, technically they HAD to touch the ball after giving up the goal. ;)

Though, could definitely believe they haven't had it much else.

Actually, I'll amend that. Arena took the US to its best ever results. In 2002. Jobbed out of a spot in the WC Semifinals. Still, not sure he's up to making this bunch better than the sum of thier parts either.

Good post. I am discouraged with the current state of our roster. The idea of squandering Pulisic with a lackluster squad is infuriating.

Big picture: I keep hearing USA Soccer needs to change the development structure (pay to play). Is that feasible?

I cannot recall seeing an American team play as poor as this one is. Wow. There are no words...

From what I heard and read, that seems to be the case. Yuck.

This team isn't going to the World Cup.

They still might eke it out. But, really - what might they expect to accomplish if they do qualify?

Also - is 2022 the first WC where the field is being greatly expanded? (I despise that decision, btw.)