2012 Development Camp

Eleven

not sure what you are trying to do here other than be a dick but I think I said earlier that Armia needs some more seasoning. Forwards are far easier to judge than gt. Armia showed a lot of skills because he had the opportunity to show off his skills. A goaltender and this goes for all of them can only show their skills when the other team is shooting on them. Ullmark looked fine but Knapp and Lieuwen looked better. Armia looked like he had a good shot, good hands, and seems to be able to skate. Ullmark can butterfly goaltend and made a couple of saves...

so feel free to replay in what ever condescending "I'm smarter and better than you" way you so choose. goodnight

Didn't you say that you've already determined that Armia is going to be better than Kane?

When I saw Zemgus on Tuesday I saw him try to stickandle through a defenseman a couple of times without success & he had a couple of weak shot right at the goalie where I questioned his hands. On Thursday during the scrimmage, his goal was amazing where his hands looked great. I guess we will have to wait & see how he develops.

Leduc is a smooth skater, good with the puck, hard accurate shot. Not very physical.

My impressions (left out some that I didn't watch close enough) in alphabetical order (feel free to disagree) of the forwards:

Adam: sees the ice well, you can tell he's been around a while in comparison to others. Might have a hard time making the club (NHL). He left the ice before they all raised their sticks to the crowd at the end. Lukie!

Arnia: Hard to believe he's only 187lbs. He seems a bit lazy. Leino'esque in the corners but more skill. Makes the club once he's done in Finland.

Catenacci: speed man, speed. Plus a wicked wrist shot, you know, one of those you don't see when he shoots it. Still needs work in other areas.

Foligno: nuff said. Just what the Sabres need. He better be playing up here.

Girgensons: good hands, positioning needs work. Amerks could use him.

Grigorenko: good hands, great shot, takes the body, average speed. Seemed tired at the game. NHL ready.

Hodgson: another nuff said. Seemed faster this year but that's against prospects.

Isackson, Jacobs, Kea Lagace, Nelson, Parker: Nothing stood out to me.

Jokinen: had some talent, seemed to have more hockey sense. He's done with college so we'll see if he gets a contract or not.

Navin: played well but he's not much of a scorer

Peterson: now here's someone who can shoot and handle the puck. Just graduated from high school!

Freddie Roy: gives 100% all the time, starts ###### with everyone, not afraid at all for his size (I heard he gained 40 lbs over the last year but still only 160lbs) He's Ennis with an attitude.

Sundher: good hands, speed, playmaker. I think he gets a contract and plays with the Amerks this year.

Tropp: A Michael Peca who can't score. Even money on making the team.

Wise: great hockey sense, always moving to get open for a pass, accurate shot

My impressions (left out some that I didn't watch close enough) in alphabetical order (feel free to disagree) of the forwards:

Girgensons: good hands, positioning needs work. Amerks could use him.

Grigorenko: good hands, great shot, takes the body, average speed. Seemed tired at the game. NHL ready.

Freddie Roy: gives 100% all the time, starts ###### with everyone, not afraid at all for his size (I heard he gained 40 lbs over the last year but still only 160lbs) He's Ennis with an attitude.

It's hard to post with all the hormones flying around here! I agree with most of your assessments. I'd like to comment on the above.

Girgs - I didn't notice poor positioning, but what I did notice was a solid backcheck performance. Not something you always find in a European player.

Grigs - Not sure if he was tired, or that's his level of play. I also question whether he's NHL ready. Last night Girgs performed better than Grigs IMO - and I'm not counting Girgs' neat goal.

Roy - for a small guy he sure got noticed. Several times I had to look up his number because he impressed me in some way. But Ennis with an attitude? I'll give you the attitude part but he's no Ennis.

Of course like Freeman said, this is only one game. It's hard to get a handle on these guys from just three periods of play. I would have gone to the open practices but I don't do mornings. Otherwise I'd be able to provide a more complete assessment.

Roy - for a small guy he sure got noticed. Several times I had to look up his number because he impressed me in some way. But Ennis with an attitude? I'll give you the attitude part but he's no Ennis.

Maybe it was mentioned on the morning GR show - do you see Roy as a young Briere (Coyotes time period)?

Maybe it was mentioned on the morning GR show - do you see Roy as a young Briere (Coyotes time period)?

I never saw Briere when he was in Phoenix. When he came up he showed some flashes of brilliance - you knew that there was more ability waiting to show itself. But I'd have to see Roy more often to give you a better read on him. One game probably isn't fair to the player.

It's hard to post with all the hormones flying around here! I agree with most of your assessments. I'd like to comment on the above.

Girgs - I didn't notice poor positioning, but what I did notice was a solid backcheck performance. Not something you always find in a European player.

Grigs - Not sure if he was tired, or that's his level of play. I also question whether he's NHL ready. Last night Girgs performed better than Grigs IMO - and I'm not counting Girgs' neat goal.

Of course like Freeman said, this is only one game. It's hard to get a handle on these guys from just three periods of play. I would have gone to the open practices but I don't do mornings. Otherwise I'd be able to provide a more complete assessment.

Grigorenko OREO I'm comparing him from Tues vs last night. He was much faster Tuesday.

That's right. My bad. They had to sign him before this years draft right?

Yes, but if I remember correctly, they gave him a contract during the middle of the season, way before he even came close to the deadline.

Uh...Danny Briere averaged 56 goals a year in juniors, Frederic Roy averaged 12.

There's a reason that Ennis and Briere were first round picks while Roy went undrafted 3 times. We need to stop comparing these longshot players to already established players.

By the way, your average for Roy is very heavily weighed down by a season where he only played 4 games.

Just watched Girgs' goal. Grigs was just waiting, waiting, waiting for a pass to get the easy tap in. It was practically a 2-on-0 once the defenseman slid past.

Yeah it was an extraordinary selfish play. If he didn't bury it, he would have looked foolish. Not sure if I love or hate that play.

Archived