What are your thoughts about Darcy?

dudacek

77 members have voted

1. 1. Which best describes your thoughts about Darcy?

• He's a solid GM who can bring us the cup
    • He deserves another season under Pegula, but it's his last chance
    • The sooner he's gone the better

Before you vote, consider these numbers I crunched about what other GMs with five or more seasons have done in the 14 seasons Darcy has been running the Sabres:

CUPS WON

Holland 3, Lamoriello 2

Gainey, Shero, Feaster, Rutherford, Burke, Chiarelli 1

Regier and 19 others 0

(Lacroix and Tallon didn't manage enough to qualify)

PLAYOFF ROUNDS WON

Holland 22 (14 years)

Gainey 14 (11)

Lamoriello 13 (14)

Regier 10 (14)

Wilson 9 (8)

Rutherford 9 (14)

Shero 8 (6)

Burke 7 (14)

Chiarelli 6 (6)

Holmgren 6 (6)

Feaster 5 (6)

Clarke 5 (8)

Pleau 5 (12)

McPhee 5 (14)

Patrick 4 (8)

Sutter 3 (6)

Lowe 3 (7)

Bryan Murray 3 (10)

Risebrough 2 (8)

Lombardi 2 (12)

Sather 2 (14)

Bob Murray 1 (6)

Armstrong 1 (6)

Poile 1 (13)

Maloney 0 (5)

McLean 0 (6)

Milbury 0 (7)

Snow 0 (7)

PLAYOFF APPEARANCE PERCENTAGE

Holland 100 (14 years)

Wilson 100 (8)

Clarke 100 (8)

Shero 100 (6)

Lamoriello 93 (14)

Holmgren 83 (6)

Sutter 83 (6)

Chiarelli 83 (6)

Armstrong 83 (6)

Gainey 82 (11)

Pleau 67 (12)

Lombardi 67 (12)

Feaster 67 (6)

McPhee 64 (14)

Maloney 60 (5)

Regier 57 (14)

Sather 57 (14)

Poile 54 (13)

Burke 50 (14)

Bryan Murray 50 (10)

Patrick 50 (8)

Lowe 43 (7)

Milbury 43 (7)

Risebrough 38 (8)

Rutherford 36 (14)

Bob Murray 33 (6)

Snow 14 (7)

McLean 0 (7)

PRESIDENTS TROPHIES

Holland 4, Gainey 2,

McPhee, Wilson, Regier, Pleau 1

(Lacroix, Muckler, Gillis don't qualify)

DIVISION TITLES

Holland 10

Lamoriello 8

McPhee 6

Wilson 5

Gainey 5

Clarke 3

Rutherford 3

Armstrong 3

Feaster 2

Regier 2

Burke 2

Chiarelli 2

Lombardi 2

Risebrough 1

Maloney 1

Shero 1

Patrick 1

Sather 1

Holmgren 1

Sutter 1

Pleau 1

Poile, McLean, Snow, Milbury, Lowe, Bryan Murray, Bob Murray 0

AVERAGE POINTS PER SEASON

Wilson 106.1

Armstrong 103.8

Shero 103.5

Lamoriello 102

Holland 100.9

Clarke 99.9

Chiarelli 97

Sutter 95.7

Gainey 95.7

Maloney 93

Regier 92.2

Feaster 91.5

Holmgren 91.2

Pleau 90.8

McPhee 89.7

Lowe 88.6

Poile 88.1

Burke 87.4

Risebrough 86.75

Lombardi 85.3

Bryan Murray 84.7

Bob Murray 83.7

Rutherford 81.9

Sather 80.9

Patrick 77.8

Snow 77.3

Milbury 72.6

McLean 67.7

I think he deserves another year. I don't think it's fair to look at his past when he spent years with a shoestring budget. This is his first full year to do what he wants, and besides Leino he's made some pretty damn good moves since Pegula got here.

I need to see continued progress, this offseason should provide the final indication for me. I've backed his moves since Pegula took over but this offseason he has a lot of options and what he does will be telling.

I need to see continued progress, this offseason should provide the final indication for me. I've backed his moves since Pegula took over but this offseason he has a lot of options and what he does will be telling.

I would not mind if he stayed in the organization and handled the scouting/drafting responsibilites for the organization but I would like him to be out of the overall team management e.g. (coach choice, trades, player negotiation. )

I don't think it's fair to look at his past when he spent years with a shoestring budget. This is his first full year to do what he wants, and besides

Quite overstated. He never had to operate on a shoestring budget under Golisano, and it's not like he's finally operating under some "normal" NHL budget, now; he's operating under the largest budget in the NHL. GM's have done more with less than he had under the previous ownership, much less this one.

I put the middle one, simply because I know he will not leave this summer. I hope this is his last chance in the coming year, although he will probably be here even if the sabres lose every game next year, to quote PH. I wouldn't lose sleep knowing he is here based on the trade deadline, but would be happy with the change if it were to happen. I don't think he's bad, but whenever I think of the sabres, regier, ruff, and the core, the memories are a dull brownish-yellow shade, and reek of average-ness. I want pristine, glowing memories that smell like excellence and Stanley cups. And cinnamon rolls.

I voted gone even though I think he did o.k. this deadline. I've wanted change at the top for some time now and I still think this team needs fresh ideas and an overall culture change. He gets one more year to prove he isn't chump change from what people are saying so after 15 years of what imo is failure I'll accept that but would rather a new approach.

I've generally been supportive of Darcy, but the numbers and this season's disappointment led me to vote last chance.

Holland and Lamoriello set the bar, with Wilson close behind.

Darcy is in large group with Pleau, McPhee, Bryan Murray, Sather, Rutherford, Burke, Poile and Lombardi who have had burps of success - the veteran journeymen of the fraternity.

But when you see what the newer guys like Chiarelli and Holmgren and Armstrong and Shero have done, why not let someone fresh push the team over the top?

What did Regier do at the last offseason and at the deadline that was so "Amazing" or great that he has shown he can be the guy to build a winner and the past was only cause he was "Shackled"? He took a team that made the playoffs last year with its salaries under a budget, spent as much as he possibly could, and had a team that then missed the playoffs. Leino has been a bust so far, Reghr has been mediocre at best and not what most expected him to be. Ehrhoff was missed late in the year when he was injured for the last few games, but he wasn't outstanding. He traded away a prospect we drafted to try and get more physical for a centre who is anything but physical and is being hyped cause of his potential to be a great centre, and the best player in that deal seemed to be the throw in defencemen Sulzer who was a surprise when he was thrown into games and was better then we expected. Most will say he made a great move by getting a 1st rounder for one of the leagues better faceoff centres in gaustad, but if what Burke said in the Leafs press conference yesterday is true, it seems that teams might not value 1st round picks as much when they are playoff teams drafting in the bottom half of the round because they were offering him 1sts for some of his players too and he turned them down. Right now that 1st is looking like it could be somewhere in the low 20's

Most of you must have seen Bucky's column where he suggested there is a huge crowd around the league anonymously laughing at the Sabres for hanging on to Darcy.

I don't buy it.

While he's clearly not among the league's elite, he's also clearly not among the dregs either.

Bryan Murray, Brian Burke, Glen Sather, Garth Snow, George McPhee, Jim Rutherford, Steve Yzerman, Don Maloney, Joe Nieuwendyk, Dean Lombardi, Bob Murray, Kevin Chevaldayoff, David Poile, Stan Bowman, Scott Howson, Jay Feaster, Steve Tambellini, Chuck Fletcher, and whoever the hell is running the Avalanche these days - objectively, how many of these guys is clearly a better GM than Darcy?

It's pretty easy to find second-guessers when they can hide in the shadows. You could write the same column for any of the above.

I don't doubt Bucky has his sources.

I also don't doubt he looked for them and led them to match his agenda.

Most of you must have seen Bucky's column where he suggested there is a huge crowd around the league anonymously laughing at the Sabres for hanging on to Darcy.

I don't buy it.

While he's clearly not among the league's elite, he's also clearly not among the dregs either.

He didn't really give us the demographics of the laughter, did he?

I just assumed he was talking fellow pool reporters. Which.....well........who knows what that means.

While I've largely liked what Regier has done since Pegula took over, I still would rather see somebody else in charge. I've liked individual moves, but I'm still not convinced he's aggressive enough (Ehrhoff was a Pegula thing, and not sure about how Regehr originated, but without Pegula it's unlikely he waives his NTC), or that he has a grand vision for what he wants the identity of the team to be. This offseason will be telling on both points to me. Post-Pegula Regier is quite clearly different and better than pre-Pegula Regier, but I'm far from "all in" on the guy.

Oh, and Bucky Gleason is an idiot. I don't know if it was last year, or a couple years ago...but he suggested Pierre McGuire to replace Regier. 'Nuff said. This being just one of many examples of him being bad at his job.

Edit: I feel compelled to add that Bucky also said he'd take Jordan Staal on his team over Malkin at their current contracts. So whatever, I don't take anything he says seriously.

While I've largely liked what Regier has done since Pegula took over, I still would rather see somebody else in charge. I've liked individual moves, but I'm still not convinced he's aggressive enough (Ehrhoff was a Pegula thing, and not sure about how Regehr originated, but without Pegula it's unlikely he waives his NTC), or that he has a grand vision for what he wants the identity of the team to be. This offseason will be telling on both points to me. Post-Pegula Regier is quite clearly different and better than pre-Pegula Regier, but I'm far from "all in" on the guy.

Oh, and Bucky Gleason is an idiot. I don't know if it was last year, or a couple years ago...but he suggested Pierre McGuire to replace Regier. 'Nuff said. This being just one of many examples of him being bad at his job.

Wow...I hadn't heard of that (or maybe I let it slip out of my mind for obvious reasons), but DAMMMNNN! that's just dumb.

Quite overstated. He never had to operate on a shoestring budget under Golisano, and it's not like he's finally operating under some "normal" NHL budget, now; he's operating under the largest budget in the NHL. GM's have done more with less than he had under the previous ownership, much less this one.

He didn't? So DR wanted to let Briere and Drury go? DR had his hands tied the entire time Golisano was here. He's had one year to work under Pegula, how would you rate his moves in that time frame? It's obvious by the win/loss record that Regehr and Ehrhoff play huge roles on this team. We've all heard nothing but good things about Hodgson (and seen them), not to mention Sulzer and somehow he managed to get a 1st round pick for Gaustad. Leino is the only negative so far. I'm sorry, but GM's can't leave their mark in a year in the NHL..... this isn't Major League Baseball and we aren't the Yankees.

Edit: I feel compelled to add that Bucky also said he'd take Jordan Staal on his team over Malkin at their current contracts. So whatever, I don't take anything he says seriously.

Too true of a few local media. Jerry Sullivan will admit he didn't watch a game or that he doesn't follow hockey and will than make some absurd statement about the game or a team.. I actually like Howard Simon, but over the next two months he'll tell us how he went to bed and didn't watch last night's game. Than he'll offer us his analysis and opinion.about something that happened. It has happened many times over the years once sthe Sabres are out of the playoffs.

While I would love to have my favorite team in the playoffs, I still get to watch my favorite sport for two more months. Nothing is better than when we get down to 4 teams and you can see every game if you want to. Sure the lack of caling the rules as written will frustrate the hell out of me, but it's still a great game. It is also unfortunate, that by the time we get down to those final four, we see how far the Sabres are away from a cup.

You have give a guy like Bill Hoppe credit. Some posters here think he's an ass, but his stories generally have much better content than any of the other local media types. I think it was always his goal to differentiate himself from the others.

Archived