GDT: Toronto @ Buffalo 4-3-2012 7:00PM

Claude Balls

This spark of hope ain't gonna grow unless Miller gets back in the zone pronto.

I see Stafford continuing to fatten up his stats tonight.

It would be nice if some of the Sabres' alleged depth on D stepped up in the absence of the 2 mainstays. I'm talkin' to you, Reggie.

What will happen: Sabres blow out the leafs and score 5 goals in the 1st period and go on to win 6-1 just to get us all back on the bandwagon, and then WIN in Philly on thursday as Washington loses in regulation to the Panthers in their next game. This would all set up a pivotal game 7-like atmosphere on saturday in Boston, as the game is nationally televised on NBC. The Sabres win and they're in and they face off against the Bruins who have nothing to play for as they hold the 2 seed. The Sabres suck us all in this week and even get a 3-1 lead in the 3rd period against the Bruins, only to lose their lead in regulation and send us all home crying.

This is precisely what i thought after I saw that washington lost yesterday. tTe sad thing is that I'm busy all day Saturday and probably won't have the chance to catch the game on tv. Thankfully, the tunein app on my phone pulls down WRG really well and buffers it only by a few seconds (depending on the QoS i'm getting from cellular).

I even have family coming in to town. Ironically enough, it's my step-dad, who lives in Buffalo. I tried talking him and my mom into coming up for the game. No dice. Oh well.

Sabres win 4-1 on the strength of Miller and Roy. Yes, Roy. I'm calling 2 goals for him tonight. He's due.

This spark of hope ain't gonna grow unless Miller gets back in the zone pronto.

I see Stafford continuing to fatten up his stats tonight.

It would be nice if some of the Sabres' alleged depth on D stepped up in the absence of the 2 mainstays. I'm talkin' to you, Reggie.

If the Leafs score early like they did in Toronto, I wonder how the crowd will react.

2 things.....

IF (and I will say this to please TSC, its a BIG IF) the Sabres make the playoffs, anyone want pitch in to send Stamkos a lovely gift basket as a thank you for saving this season for the Sabres?

In situations like this, wouldn't it be cool to see the NHL have the ability for flex scheduling and IF the Sabres win tonight and tie Washington, the league could change teh schedule to have washington and Buffalo play each other the next 2 games in a home and home series to see who gets in? Washington can only tie Ottawa right now if they win out and Ottawa loses their remaining games, so 8th is between Buffalo and Washington. Let the 2 of them decide against each other who makes it in

Are there going to be two GTD threads tonight? Which one is this? Should I be critical or spend the entire night blaming the officials. Let me know, thanks. :thumbsup:

Well seeing how I may have already jinxed the team by starting the GDT 5 minutes early, I'm thinking this is the negative thread. As important as this game is for the Sabres, the officials shouldn't matter in the outcome. Buffalo should blow out the Maple Loops no matter how many calls might go against them. But feel free to bash the officials in this thread....why not.

In situations like this, wouldn't it be cool to see the NHL have the ability for flex scheduling and IF the Sabres win tonight and tie Washington, the league could change teh schedule to have washington and Buffalo play each other the next 2 games in a home and home series to see who gets in? Washington can only tie Ottawa right now if they win out and Ottawa loses their remaining games, so 8th is between Buffalo and Washington. Let the 2 of them decide against each other who makes it in

That would be fun. Also fun would be an 8/9 play-in game. One game, winner is in. Playoff overtime rules. Of course I'd be pissed if it was one of those years that there was a 6-point gap between 8 and 9, maybe only if 8 and 9 were tied in points.

What will happen: Sabres blow out the leafs and score 5 goals in the 1st period and go on to win 6-1 just to get us all back on the bandwagon, and then WIN in Philly on thursday as Washington loses in regulation to the Panthers in their next game. This would all set up a pivotal game 7-like atmosphere on saturday in Boston, as the game is nationally televised on NBC. The Sabres win and they're in and they face off against the Bruins who have nothing to play for as they hold the 2 seed. The Sabres suck us all in this week and even get a 3-1 lead in the 3rd period against the Bruins, only to lose their lead in regulation and send us all home crying.

Repeated for truth ^

Well seeing how I may have already jinxed the team by starting the GDT 5 minutes early, I'm thinking this is the negative thread. As important as this game is for the Sabres, the officials shouldn't matter in the outcome. Buffalo should blow out the Maple Loops no matter how many calls might go against them. But feel free to bash the officials in this thread....why not.

Here's a negative thought.

The Sabres play like gangbusters and finally reach the 8th spot. They had it to themselves. Once they had it, they lay two consecutive eggs.

I expect the Sabre to revert back to gangbusters tonight now that their destiny is out of their hands.

come on Roy and Vanek: wake the **** up.

Maybe Roy needs more ice time from the coach? I mean, he's been their 9th best forward all year.. Give him more ice ;)

Work cannot go b fast enough today! Watched the Lightning game last night. So glad for Stamkos :angel: Sabres need to take advantage and go on another streak...

I wonder how many goals Stamkos would have if Ruff were his coach?

That would be fun. Also fun would be an 8/9 play-in game. One game, winner is in. Playoff overtime rules. Of course I'd be pissed if it was one of those years that there was a 6-point gap between 8 and 9, maybe only if 8 and 9 were tied in points.

I was thinking the idea would be for a situation like this, where a Sabres win ties them with Washington. It leaves 2 games (Home and Home series) left that the only 2 teams that can take 8th (assuming Florida doesn't sh*t the bed and lose the division) will matchup and decide who gets 8th instead of digging around to find some unused stat for a tie breaker

I was thinking the idea would be for a situation like this, where a Sabres win ties them with Washington. It leaves 2 games (Home and Home series) left that the only 2 teams that can take 8th (assuming Florida doesn't sh*t the bed and lose the division) will matchup and decide who gets 8th instead of digging around to find some unused stat for a tie breaker

It would be a logistical nightmare. But if you could bring it down to a 2 game series (which strangely enough, the Kings and Sharks do have to end their seasons), what happens if they split those games? You're still left with a tie breaker scenario.

The best they could do is what the NFL did this year, schedule divisional matchups to close the season. Those are the teams that are most likely to be in close competition in the standings. It does look like they tried for something close to that as all the games on Saturday are inter-conference.

Then again, if they do get the reallignment they were pushing for, the season will definitely end with intra-divisional matchups (well, except for those two divisions that wind up with 7 teams).

Archived