GDT: Buffalo Sabres @ Winnipeg Jets 3/5/12 8:00PM

thesportsbuff

Loved the Jets fans tonight.

Myers was much better overall tonight than he is getting credit for. Broke up a lot of plays, really used his size and reach well in the defensive zone, even had some oomph in his game.

The first line deserves what it has been getting above.

Still love Hodgson's hockey sense, but he looked really overmatched by the Jets size and Ennis' only response was to bounce around like a frightened jackrabbit.

Rationally I should be OK with this loss given the travel and the three games that came before. That doesn't change the fact this game was a perfect illustration of how this team will not challenge until it gets harder and stronger in the top nine.

Emotionally it really sucks.

Finally, this will be blasphemy on this board, but Nathan Gerbe is having a terrible season.

He can't score, has created very few chances, doesn't force turnovers or draw many penalties.

Yes, he skates hard but what has he actually done?

Yet another disgraceful performance in a measuring stick game.

This was it. This was the night to seize it by the throat. And, in the breach, what did we get? A whole lotta $4MM-and-up passengers waving ineffectually at loose pucks while a Jet swooped in and picked them up. Not a single GD play demonstrating heart, intensity or even high skill out of a Sabres forward in the top 9.

This is why this team isn't going anywhere until the forward group is significantly remade.

This is why you unload as many of these losers at the deadline as you can.

This is why if you can trade Vanek for Shea Weber you do it before Nashville can change its mind.

I'm still sticking to the DeLuca armistice, but I don't think it's a violation to say that the Sabres' forwards are pathetic.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Darcy had a chance to change this team for the long haul and hit a bunt single.

I'd rather listen to the Winnipeg crowd chant "Miller! Miller!" than Pierre McGuire say... anything.

So true! I can't stand McGuire. He gives me a headache.

Terrible game tonight too. They looked tired. Andrew Ladd would look great in a Sabres uni.

It was unbelievable how loud that place was. It kind of reminded me of HSBC in 05-07. It felt so hostile. I have a great respect for the Winnipeg fanbase, it is a great hockey city.

I agree with the guys on Hockey Central (I know, I know), that's gonna be a tough place to play in the playoffs.

This was it. This was the night to seize it by the throat. And, in the breach, what did we get? A whole lotta $4MM-and-up passengers waving ineffectually at loose pucks while a Jet swooped in and picked them up. Not a single GD play demonstrating heart, intensity or even high skill out of a Sabres forward in the top 9.

This is why this team isn't going anywhere until the forward group is significantly remade.

This is why if you can trade Vanek for Shea Weber you do it before Nashville can change its mind.

I'm still sticking to the DeLuca armistice, but I don't think it's a violation to say that the Sabres' forwards are pathetic.

If the Sabres are not going to play Vanek like a premier forward there is no reason to continue paying him like one.

Looking at the goal Chris Thorburn scored I can't help but look at Ryan Miller and continue to think the Sabres can use that $6 mil better. 2-1 game with a chance to get into the 8th spot and he let's that goal in. Miller was on a pretty good hot streak, over the last four periods he gone back to being mediocre. Hopefully he gets it back.

I think this is a fair assessment. The inability to answer W-pegs level of desparation should be a pretty big eye opener.

If the Sabres are not going to play Vanek like a premier forward there is no reason to continue paying him like one.

:blink:

Looking at the goal Chris Thorburn scored I can't help but look at Ryan Miller and continue to think the Sabres can use that $6 mil better. 2-1 game with a chance to get into the 8th spot and he let's that goal in. Miller was on a pretty good hot streak, over the last four periods he gone back to being mediocre. Hopefully he gets it back.

The amount of money you budget for your goalie is a legit point to argue, but really out of everything in that game last night you are going to single out Miller? I can think of ten things I'd talk about before Miller in last nights game, and since you cited Thordburn's goal I'll start with Regher who got smoked wide by a 4th line player to even allow the chance.

I think this is a fair assessment. The inability to answer W-pegs level of desparation should be a pretty big eye opener.

I think this opinion is a bit overstated. The Jets have a huge comfort level at home. They are like the kid who gets really tough when his mom is standing right behind him. The Jets do not play that way on the road.

:blink:

The amount of money you budget for your goalie is a legit point to argue, but really out of everything in that game last night you are going to single out Miller? I can think of ten things I'd talk about before Miller in last nights game, and since you cited Thordburn's goal I'll start with Regher who got smoked wide by a 4th line player to even allow the chance.

The Team is not built around Regehr. Miller is the most important player on the team, all evaluations begin with him. 2-1 game, that goal should never go in unless the net is empty, which it might have well been considering the way Miller played the rush. You can't have your franchise $6 mil goalie freeze on a play like that no matter how well he played the previous three games.

I think this opinion is a bit overstated. The Jets have a huge comfort level at home. They are like the kid who gets really tough when his mom is standing right behind him. The Jets do not play that way on the road.

The Team is not built around Regehr. Miller is the most important player on the team, all evaluations begin with him. 2-1 game, that goal should never go in unless the net is empty, which it might have well been considering the way Miller played the rush. You can't have your franchise $6 mil goalie freeze on a play like that no matter how well he played the previous three games.

I saw it more that Miller was as shocked as the rest of us that Thordburn was able to beat Regehr wide and was caught out of position. Still would he like to have that one back? Absolutely. You can start with Miller, but when you finish with the rest of your evaluation he isn't close to the top of the list of why the team fell short last night. Instead he is more responsible for it not being much, much worse.

Ok I may have only seen the highlights on NHL.com at the moment but I can see the team around Miller where at fault for all 3 goals. I'm sure he'd love to have 1 or 2 back but he also seemed to make some key saves early. The team let him down. The Thorburn goal had 'aging defensman' written all over it, Regehr should have dealt with him some other way knowing he didn't have the speed.

Was Miller perfect? Hell no, but saying it's his fault is quite short sighted. Also nice to notice 1 loss and you're back to normal. :D

I just think the schedule caught up with them. 4th game in 6 nights on the road, traveling from the west coast back 2 time zones. I wish they would have won, but i'll give them a pass for the Jets game. 6 out of 8 points is a good road trip.

Ok I may have only seen the highlights on NHL.com at the moment but I can see the team around Miller where at fault for all 3 goals. I'm sure he'd love to have 1 or 2 back but he also seemed to make some key saves early. The team let him down. The Thorburn goal had 'aging defensman' written all over it, Regehr should have dealt with him some other way knowing he didn't have the speed.

Was Miller perfect? Hell no, but saying it's his fault is quite short sighted. Also nice to notice 1 loss and you're back to normal. :D

Regehr was probably not healthy enough to play last night. On a play like that it's clear how difficult of a time he has rotating his hips and Thorburn got a bead on him. Before the hip flexor injury in San Jose, Regehr drives Thorburn into the corner and he never gets a shot off. He'll probably be fine in another few days.

Regehr was probably not healthy enough to play last night. On a play like that it's clear how difficult of a time he has rotating his hips and Thorburn got a bead on him. Before the hip flexor injury in San Jose, Regehr drives Thorburn into the corner and he never gets a shot off. He'll probably be fine in another few days.

It's not his hip, it's his knee. Regehr had a choice to turn and see Thorburn go inside or keep on the same path and make him go outside. Thorburn got a jump on him but Thorburn got lucky to get the puck right back on his stick after the initial Miller save.

To be fair he shouldn't be playing then, we have 7 defensemen and Regehr is a -16.

Out of interest would an open ice check work in that instance? Not a hammering but enough to knock the puck out (or even a poke check). Again I haven't seen the game and only caught the highlights.

Oh please. Vanek had over 16 minutes of ice time, over 2 minutes of PP time, got off 2 shots on goal and was a minus-2. He didn't do a GD thing to demonstrate that he should be getting more ice time. He now has 5 goals in his last 31 games.

Bottom line: Vanek isn't that good. Like many Sabres forwards, he has some talent, he's well overpaid and he doesn't show up in crunch time. I can name 50 NHL players I'd rather have without having to think hard about it.

I agree that Thorburn's goal was a terrible one for Miller to give up.

But it's not about the Jets playing better at home. It's about the Sabres not showing up when it really matters.

Good call.

I just think the schedule caught up with them. 4th game in 6 nights on the road, traveling from the west coast back 2 time zones. I wish they would have won, but i'll give them a pass for the Jets game. 6 out of 8 points is a good road trip.

There is some truthiness to this. My problem is that I think the Sabres -- especially the forwards -- went into the game thinking this way.

All this talk about not breaking up the top line to avoid messing up the other lines that are going well is bunk. The Sabres have scored 2, 2, 2, 2, 1, 5, and 1 goals in their last 7 games respectively.

Shuffle that deck, Lindy.

(null)

Carolina is gonna be tough.

Carolina will be on a back to back. At least we'll have a day off.

It definitely was a good road trip 3-1-1 and 6-2-2 the last 10. It's def. hard to take a loss that would have put you in 8th spot. But the schedule for the sabres and 3 nights off for the Jets showed last night, physically and mentally.

Hopefully they bounce back for the 3 in 4 nights coming up.

And the Jets had 4 days off before meeting Buffalo. Nice little gift in their schedule.

Archived