GDT: Buffalo Sabres @ Winnipeg Jets 3/5/12 8:00PM

thesportsbuff

They don't have that personality currently on the roster.

:( Not Leino? We'll see.

Really, I don't see that personality on this roster, either. Sucks Vanek needs one, if he actually does. For now, the gist is, like, "just shuffle the lines, see what we get," which keeps me looking forward to the draft. We could put together a huge deal, for a top three pick.

Leino along with Pommers and Vanek could work. Looked good for a few games. However the Kaleta-Leino-Gerbe line right now isn't bad either. But I dont wanna split up 21-19-63 so put Leino on line 1 and here we go. Sounds weired but I wish Hecht was healthy he ssemed to have chemistry with Vanek and Pommers too. Plus Hecht was reliable on Defence.

:( Not Leino? We'll see.

Really, I don't see that personality on this roster, either. Sucks Vanek needs one, if he actually does. For now, the gist is, like, "just shuffle the lines, see what we get," which keeps me looking forward to the draft. We could put together a huge deal, for a top three pick.

What sucks more is that Vanek should be that guy. There is not one player on that roster that can even come close to Vanek as far as pure hockey skills. That alone should give Vanek some stature in the locker room. Vanek needs to find his inner-Messier.

What sucks more is that Vanek should be that guy. There is not one player on that roster that can even come close to Vanek as far as pure hockey skills. That alone should give Vanek some stature in the locker room. Vanek needs to find his inner-Messier.

Hell just froze over.

GO SABRES!!!

I'd like to see Leino with him again.

Roy should be able to run distraction for Vanek to get open, but Roy's been running down blind alleys, too often. I wonder if they communicate enough as a line.

Vanek goes into a shell, head swaying back and forth, muffling curses, a total shell. I think he needs someone to get in his face. Maybe not Leino. Pommers is a good influence on Vanek, for sure, but he's not going to snap him out of it.

Who would though? It would take some pretty high status dude to get in Vanek's face when he's swaying back and forth, muffling curses, like he does. If it's Leino, then wow!

They don't have that personality currently on the roster.

It should be his wife. The infinite money machine is going to turn off in 2 years if he doesn't get his ###### together. I'm convinced this is what happened when Miller saw his wife last weekend.

I slept on this one but it was obvious from puck drop to whatever Regehr was doing on that goal that this team was exhausted and playing a team that was extremely rested and playing in there own barn. Its not a really good excuse but its what happened.

Other thoughts:

Roy needs to be moved away from Pommers and Vanek. They put leino on that line for half a shift and things improved. Hodgson makes some of the most beautiful and precise cross ice and through traffic passes i've seen and Stafford SUCKS BALLS and cashing those in... maybe Pommers would do better.

Still need another center and big top 6 winger but time will tell on this season.

someone please tell me what weird universe all the "Miller needs his wife" screwballs live in. He played excellent again last night. None of the goals are on him and honestly it is 100x more likely he was injured still from the Lucic hit than the man need to get laid or he can't play HOCKEY!

It should be his wife. The infinite money machine is going to turn off in 2 years if he doesn't get his ###### together. I'm convinced this is what happened when Miller saw his wife last weekend.

I could just imagine her response to his next contract "$4 million a year? How are we supposed to live on $4 million a year." "My mother told me you were a lazy no good bum."

Not enough Alpha in that dog, yet. He definitely shows some rage, though, underneath the surface, that thing he does on the bench. Who knows? Maybe if he were captain. Pommers could be his first mate. We might never know.

Anyone remember that NHL commercial from years back, where they showed the caged animal, then showed Vanek busting out of the penaly box?

Went out for the game last night, which had both positives and negatives. On the negative side of things, I never pay as close attention to the little things when at a bar. On the positive side, there was a steady supply of alcohol to wash away the pain.

I was impressed with the amount of turnovers. No really, it's hard to turn the puck over that much. Quite the accomplishment.

Miller needs to rest, and given he hasn't been very good against Carolina lately, I actually kind of expect Enroth to play. Miller certainly wasn't the problem, but he clearly looked less sharp to me.

If they didn't take a 3 month vacation during the season, I'd be willing to give them the "tired excuse" for last night. But they can't afford to have those games, and it's entirely their own fault.

Vanek-Roy-Pominville I'm sure has been discussed to death in this thread, so this certainly isn't news....but holy crap that line sucks. It. Sucks.

Hodgson's worst game since getting here. And yet, he still could have had a few assists if his linemates could finish. I want him between Vanek and Pominville, Ennis back at center, and Roy on the 3rd line. What's the worst that could happen, our 4th line is our most productive? Oh right....

Maybe I'm a little weird, but I find it somewhat amusing we're all so pissed about losing to a fringe playoff team when we just beat the top team in the league on the road. If the Sabres hadn't taken their 3 month hiatus, I think we'd all be borderline celebrating a successful road trip. It's just funny how different situations can change the perception of the exact same event. What can I say, reality bites.

Great post. The bold statement especially. This is exactly why I feel that these players don't deserve my slack.

After last nights game, I believe this to be a false and inaccurate statement -

"Pull up a chair and discuss the Buffalo Sabres with the hardest cheering fans in hockey!" (sorry Scott) I guess we could still be the hardest cheering fans in hockey, just not the loudest.

I think that award would go to the Winnipeg fans. Just ask Pierre McGuire, he must have said at least 8 times how the smallest arena in the NHL reminded him of the old Chicago Stadium.

Yeah Jhonas is 2-0-0 and stopped 69 of 70 shots against the Canes. He is having a bad streak right now but when do you wanna put him in if not now?

Seriously, the guy needs to play. If their master plan for making the playoffs is having Miller play every game the rest of the season, what's the point? He won't have anything left in the tank for the postseason anyway.

If you're going to make the playoffs, do it in a way that gives you a chance to win. Otherwise, don't bother.

So, is Roy going to be benched for drawing the game ending penalty with under 2 minutes to go in the game?

If Vanek gets benched for similar, shouldn't Roy? Guy has drawn a lot of stupid penalties in the last month.

Yeah Jhonas is 2-0-0 and stopped 69 of 70 shots against the Canes. He is having a bad streak right now but when do you wanna put him in if not now?

The team hasn't been practicing and Enroth hasn't been playing in games. When's the last time he got any work at all? How much work does the backup goalie get during the morning skates?

He has more goals than Rene Robert and in less games. And he sure as hell isn't playing with Perrault and Martin.

Vanek has had most of his career with Connolly or Roy.

Decent centers.....but I don't think either has had a 50 assist season. Neither has ever gotten that much penetration.

Take away Vanek and suddenly Ennis is drawing shut-down coverage. Not exactly a recipe for success going forward.

Vanek has had most of his career with Connolly or Roy.

Decent centers.....but I don't think either has had a 50 assist season. Neither has ever gotten that much penetration.

Take away Vanek and suddenly Ennis is drawing shut-down coverage. Not exactly a recipe for success going forward.

wonder what his stats are with each center hes had? Seems like Roy brings is game down

Lindy has neutered Vanek.

Yep, probably Thomas Vanek figures why try hard? Just a way to get into trouble with the coach. If he just coasts like Ruff's golden boys Roy and Stafford do, and goes "soft" like those guys are and how Ruff prefers, how can he get into trouble?

Games that seem perfect for Enroth to start in, aren't the one's that I expect him to start in. First, Miller has to play mediocre for a stretch, then the press have to start asking questions about Enroth, then Coach has to wait another game, read the morning papers, and make the tough decision.

:lol:

To be fair, posting the SAME problems year after year when the SAME problems persist really isn't a problem. It's posting different opinions year after year about the same problems that are a bigger concern. If you believe the players like Vanek, Pominville, and Miller are the problem then stick with it. I don't think they've done THAT much to change people's minds as the end result has not changed.

You can call BS but the truth is, disregarding the fan's propensity to lynch management for anything, that Vanek is worth 4 first rounders and that almost ANY player is worth 4 first rounders. Especially given how inadequate the Oilers were (have been) over those 4 years. That's a lot of top round talent the Sabres would have now. I understand why the Sabres management matched the offer.

I think putting Vanek with Leino, Hodgson, or Ennis right now would improve his play... and they are all ready and available.

Agree with the last part. Definately

To be fair with Vanek thats the 'perfect hindsight' game. We don't know if Edmonton would still be in the position they are with Vanek, they might have gone down a different road. We don't know, so we don't know what kind of 'top line talent' we'd end up with. I'm saying at the time the right decision was made based on the factors present at the time. Looking back the decision looks iffy (I still prefer Vanek in a Sabre jersey but there you go) but like the Peca deal for Connelly and Pyatt at the time it looked good (especially considering we couldn't sign Peca).

Archived