Gragnani for Vancouver's Sulzer

spndnchz

Might I say, so glad we have Sulzer right now instead of Grags. Seems right at home on D.

thought the same thing as i was watching on saturday night. i think being able to play with his countryman (whose name i cannot spell without looking it up) is helping matters.

Seems a little rough around the edges, especially with respect to his puck control and passing. I'm sure if he keeps playing, it'll even out. Not participating in a full practice until this weekend probably slowed him a little.

MAGs was a like a fruit truck crashed into a bakery: too many turnovers.

I believe I stated earlier that Buffalo fans would appreciate Sulzer's game. He's a big body who thinks defense first. Like another poster said, we have enough offensive dmen.

I haven't liked Grags in Vancity at all. He seems to go all over the place but not do much. He's been ok but I'd prefer Sulzer any day.

I believe I stated earlier that Buffalo fans would appreciate Sulzer's game. He's a big body who thinks defense first. Like another poster said, we have enough offensive dmen.

I haven't liked Grags in Vancity at all. He seems to go all over the place but not do much. He's been ok but I'd prefer Sulzer any day.

It was a good move by Darcy to get something for Grags, because there was likely no new contract for him in Buffalo.

Sounds like the same ol' MAG to me. Everybody (well a lot of fans) fell in love with the kid based on a handful of games. Much like the Nathan Paetsch syndrome but for whatever reason the love for MAG ran deep. People just would not let it go.

Sounds like the same ol' MAG to me. Everybody (well a lot of fans) fell in love with the kid based on a handful of games. Much like the Nathan Paetsch syndrome but for whatever reason the love for MAG ran deep. People just would not let it go.

When a guy performs well in the playoffs, people tend to notice.

And there could just as likely be no new contract for Sulzer here. He's a UFA at the end of the year.

He is and I wouldn't be at all surprised to not see him come back. But if he is re-signed, then the Sabres have 7 capable D-men on the big squad w/ McNabb and Brennan waiting for the inevitable injury call-ups.

With the needed forward upgrades still this off-season's most pressing needs they probably won't want to drop more $'s on D but if they did re-sign him it also makes parting w/ a D-man as part of a package to improve the forwards that much more palatable.

He is and I wouldn't be at all surprised to not see him come back. But if he is re-signed, then the Sabres have 7 capable D-men on the big squad w/ McNabb and Brennan waiting for the inevitable injury call-ups.

With the needed forward upgrades still this off-season's most pressing needs they probably won't want to drop more $'s on D but if they did re-sign him it also makes parting w/ a D-man as part of a package to improve the forwards that much more palatable.

His performance thus far does seem to make him an option, especially if we do package up a D man in a trade. Right now I am perfectly OK with Sulzer getting an offer from Buffalo for next season.

The composition of the D group next year is an interesting question, IMHO. Everyone (including me) wants to see McNabb up with Buffalo next year, and I too am fine with keeping Sulzer. That amounts to 8 capable NHL defensemen, without even considering Brennan or any of the others in Rochester.

The Sabres need to make changes at forward and have defensemen, draft picks and underachieving forwards to offer in trade. OTOH, the Sabres like veteran defensemen and they like to stockpile young ones. Who might they trade?

In particular:

Myers, Ehrhoff, Regehr -- 100% locks to be back next year.

Leopold -- should have been traded at the deadline, IMHO. Decent 2-way veteran top 4 defenseman who won't have much trade value as he's entering the last year of his contract.

Weber -- I could see them trading him but I think it would be a mistake. This team needs to hold on to every ounce of grit it has. Weber had a rocky start to the season but has been playing pretty well lately. He's not expensive, he's tough, he defends the crease well and he has a great attitude.

Sekera -- Probably has the most trade value. I would hate to lose him as I think he has great upside and his defensive game has matured. I wouldn't trade him just to clear roster/cap space but would do so if necessary to bring in a good forward.

Sulzer -- I would bring him back at a cheap ($1MM/year or less) contract. He seems like a capable #7 guy (although last night he was 2nd on the team in TOI).

McNabb -- I'd like to see his size and aggressiveness on the Sabres next year, but can see them keeping him in Rochester for another year.

Bottom line: if anyone is traded it will probably be Leopold or Sekera. If it's Leopold, the return will be less.

His performance thus far does seem to make him an option, especially if we do package up a D man in a trade. Right now I am perfectly OK with Sulzer getting an offer from Buffalo for next season.

Sulzer's play has been a surprise. Can they sign him for a 850k-1 mil(his highest NHL salary to date has been 700k), and worse case use him as the #7(at this time, he seems more than capable of being a bottom pair guy, maybe even a 3-4). If they feel McNabb will be ready next year, do they trade Leopold in the offseason, and go into 11-12 with...

Myers

Sekera

Ehrhoff

Regehr

Sulzer

McNabb

Weber

The composition of the D group next year is an interesting question, IMHO. Everyone (including me) wants to see McNabb up with Buffalo next year, and I too am fine with keeping Sulzer. That amounts to 8 capable NHL defensemen, without even considering Brennan or any of the others in Rochester.

The Sabres need to make changes at forward and have defensemen, draft picks and underachieving forwards to offer in trade. OTOH, the Sabres like veteran defensemen and they like to stockpile young ones. Who might they trade?

In particular:

Myers, Ehrhoff, Regehr -- 100% locks to be back next year.

Leopold -- should have been traded at the deadline, IMHO. Decent 2-way veteran top 4 defenseman who won't have much trade value as he's entering the last year of his contract.

Weber -- I could see them trading him but I think it would be a mistake. This team needs to hold on to every ounce of grit it has. Weber had a rocky start to the season but has been playing pretty well lately. He's not expensive, he's tough, he defends the crease well and he has a great attitude.

Sekera -- Probably has the most trade value. I would hate to lose him as I think he has great upside and his defensive game has matured. I wouldn't trade him just to clear roster/cap space but would do so if necessary to bring in a good forward.

Sulzer -- I would bring him back at a cheap ($1MM/year or less) contract. He seems like a capable #7 guy (although last night he was 2nd on the team in TOI).

McNabb -- I'd like to see his size and aggressiveness on the Sabres next year, but can see them keeping him in Rochester for another year.

Bottom line: if anyone is traded it will probably be Leopold or Sekera. If it's Leopold, the return will be less.

I'm not sure signing sulzer to unload sekera is a great move I don't think the return on sekera's 13 points in 58 games as a puck moving defensmen is going to garner a return large enough to live with the step down from Andrej to Sulzer. IF they can move leopold and sign sekera, that would free up $2M with little downside, I like that move better.

I also worry that Sulzer has never played more than 40 NHL games in a season.

I'm not sure signing sulzer to unload sekera is a great move I don't think the return on sekera's 13 points in 58 games as a puck moving defensmen is going to garner a return large enough to live with the step down from Andrej to Sulzer. IF they can move leopold and sign sekera, that would free up $2M with little downside, I like that move better.

I agree -- you definitely don't unload Reggie to make room for Sulzer. I just think that if the Sabres were going to trade, say, a #1 and a defenseman for a good forward, the trading partner would probably want Reggie more than they would want Leopold. If that is the case, and it's a good forward coming back, then I would (reluctantly) trade Reggie.

I agree -- you definitely don't unload Reggie to make room for Sulzer. I just think that if the Sabres were going to trade, say, a #1 and a defenseman for a good forward, the trading partner would probably want Reggie more than they would want Leopold. If that is the case, and it's a good forward coming back, then I would (reluctantly) trade Reggie.

Absolutely, but it will be a tight play. You need to have the deal lined up before you sign sulzer, but you need to have sulzer signed before you announce the trade, or signing him below $1M becomes significantly less likely.

This is what I hope happens. And not because I want to see Leo or Sekera gone. Rather, it seems we might have an excellent opportunity to peddle a position we are deep in to upgrade our offense.

Absolutely, but it will be a tight play. You need to have the deal lined up before you sign sulzer, but you need to have sulzer signed before you announce the trade, or signing him below $1M becomes significantly less likely.

Well, you might be overestimating Sulzer's leverage. He's a career journeyman. His agent might overplay his hand, or some GM might get daffy, but I would think Sulzer would be pretty happy with a $1MM offer from a team that's given him a chance to play big minutes and pair him with Ehrhoff.

Well, you might be overestimating Sulzer's leverage. He's a career journeyman. His agent might overplay his hand, or some GM might get daffy, but I would think Sulzer would be pretty happy with a $1MM offer from a team that's given him a chance to play big minutes and pair him with Ehrhoff.

You are, of course, correct. I may have overplayed the argument.

Not really. We all want to see McNabb up in the NHL next year, but they still have the convenience of starting him off in Rochester with no fear of waivers. Brennan will have the risk of waivers too, but again, there isn't all that much risk there. Let him compete for a job in camp and if he shows enough, then you make a move.

Not really. We all want to see McNabb up in the NHL next year, but they still have the convenience of starting him off in Rochester with no fear of waivers. Brennan will have the risk of waivers too, but again, there isn't all that much risk there. Let him compete for a job in camp and if he shows enough, then you make a move.

You are, of course, correct. I may have overplayed the argument.

Archived