Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

Listen. I still like the trade. We got the better player. But have any of you really watched hodgson in the defensive zone ? His shortcomings can't be brushed aside simply because he's been annointed our # 1 centre. Hopefully he grows into that side of the game. He's only 22 so there's that but if he doesn't improve on the defensive side of the puck terms like lazy will fit.

And as I say this he's made a couple of nice plays in the Sabres zone. One where he lifted a stick in the crease and saved a goal. I guess he's growing into it. :P

Agreed.

It's FAR easier to teach a player how to play hockey in the defensive zone than to teach hockey sense / a passing &/or scoring touch. Hodgson has some natural tools. He's typically a disaster in his own end now, but that definitely be worked on.

Will he figure that part of the game out? It's too soon to tell, but I'd say it's better than 50/50 that he will.

1. That's just silly. You're supposed to be rooting for Hodgson now. He's the one who plays for the Sabres.

2. He works hard on the ice, too. Watch him. But yeah, his offseason work is serious. He didn't have to play in Rochester this year, either. I suppose you'd prefer Myers's conditioning program?

I was as skeptical as you when this trade went down. I'm not anymore. Watch Hodgson without thinking of Kassian and tell me he's not a hard-working, talented player.

Tell me again how much you like Drew Stafford's game.

Hodgson has offensive talent, as does Drew Stafford. The idea that Hodgson works harder on the ice more than any other player is a mythical fallacy that hasn't been seen on this board since early last season when posters tried to push Leino's game by talking about "how strong he is with the puck" and how "strong he is in the corners." Hodgson's game is nonexistent in the defensive zone, he has zero physical game and he is as prone to shifts of floating as his team mates.

We should rename this thread to "All About Trolling."

I think "Fanboism 101" is a better option.

Two years ago I started talking about a difference in Tyler Myers game and how he appeared to be regressing. How did posters respond, I was 'silly" or a "hater." Where is Tyler Myers game today? Myers game is where I saw it heading two years ago.

How many posters were of the opinion that the Sabres should trade Drew Stafford before they gave him the new contract? I know I was? I said at the time Drew Stafford will never be the that type of player again and that it was all about the contract. Two years later where is Drew Stafford's game? It's where I saw it heading.

Considering my track record, I'll continue to have more faith in my opinions than the fanboi's of this board. So, "troll" on that for awhile.

Edited by deluca67

Hodgson has offensive talent, as does Drew Stafford. The idea that Hodgson works harder on the ice more than any other player is a mythical fallacy that hasn't been seen on this board since early last season when posters tried to push Leino's game by talking about "how strong he is with the puck" and how "strong he is in the corners." Hodgson's game is nonexistent in the defensive zone, he has zero physical game and he is as prone to shifts of floating as his team mates.

tay

Two years ago I started talking about a difference in Tyler Myers game and how he appeared to be regressing. How did posters respond, I was 'silly" or a "hater." Where is Tyler Myers game today? Myers game is where I saw it heading two years ago.

How many posters were of the opinion that the Sabres should trade Drew Stafford before they gave him the new contract? I know I was? I said at the time Drew Stafford will never be the that type of player again and that it was all about the contract. Two years later where is Drew Stafford's game? It's where I saw it heading.

Considering my track record, I'll continue to have more faith in my opinions than the fanboi's of this board. So, "troll" on that for awhile.

I thought Myers was just having and off year. Idk if he will ever be great because I think he mentally can't process the game fast enough. Here you seem to currently be correct.

Stafford I argued against his contract, I thought he was overpaid and I said that his 12 goals in 4 games made him extremely streaky.

All that being said, Cody Hodgson will pan out to be a solid #2 center. He will average 65-70pts a season and his defensive game will improve. He will always be better than Kassian who will be a 50-60pt guy for a couple of seasons but go on prolonged stretches of craptastic play.

Edited by LGR4GM

tay

1. I was with you on Stafford then. That's because he floats. Hodgson doesn't float.

2. If he turns into a 30 goal scorer again (of course, it is a contract year next year), I'll love it. I'm not pulling for myself to be right; I'm rooting for the Sabres. You don't see me rooting for Rolston to lose, do you?

3. Watch Hodgson. Take off the Kassian-colored glasses and watch him for the player he is. He's no Drew Stafford.

• 3 months later...
Torts: “Do I know where he’s at with our team? I don’t. We need to get to camp and I’m hoping the consistency stays with him and forces me to put him in spots that’s going to really help our team. He’s going to make those decisions for me. But he’s really interesting to me, just from the number of conversations I’ve had about him.”

Gillis: “If we get the consistency out of Zack, you might change your opinion of that trade"

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/Canucks+Steep+learning+curve+coach+gets+know/8709274/story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I find it highly interesting that Zack Kassian you see the Sun and Stars in but Myers and Hodgson, two players that are almost the exact same age, they are crap! Kassian can become superman but Cody and Tyler, they are already counted out. Seems one sided to me.

As for the Stafford thing, yes you and others were indeed correct about him. Cody Hodgson looks nothing like Drew Stafford.

I find it highly interesting that Zack Kassian you see the Sun and Stars in but Myers and Hodgson, two players that are almost the exact same age, they are crap! Kassian can become superman but Cody and Tyler, they are already counted out. Seems one sided to me.

As for the Stafford thing, yes you and others were indeed correct about him. Cody Hodgson looks nothing like Drew Stafford.

First of all Myers? I pointed out that he has been on a three year course of regression. Over the past three seasons that opinion has become fact.

As for Hodgson, my thoughts on Hodgson are on the record and I stand by them. Same with Kassian, if he finds consistency that trade will be lopsided in the Canucks favor.

First of all Myers? I pointed out that he has been on a three year course of regression. Over the past three seasons that opinion has become fact.

As for Hodgson, my thoughts on Hodgson are on the record and I stand by them. Same with Kassian, if he finds consistency that trade will be lopsided in the Canucks favor.

If Hodgson turns into a legitimate top six center, then it's irrelevant what happens with Kassian. We did well in the trade, if that's the case.

If Hodgson turns into a legitimate top six center, then it's irrelevant what happens with Kassian. We did well in the trade, if that's the case.

This is a premise I have wholeheartedly disagreed with. Considering the Sabres history, if both players max out their potential, Kassian a top-6 power forward and Hodgson a top-2 Center, fans will look back on this trade with regret. Even though in recent Sabres history they have been unable to fill the top two center positions, their has been even a longer drought of legit NHL power forwards on this roster.

This is a premise I have wholeheartedly disagreed with. Considering the Sabres history, if both players max out their potential, Kassian a top-6 power forward and Hodgson a top-2 Center, fans will look back on this trade with regret. Even though in recent Sabres history they have been unable to fill the top two center positions, their has been even a longer drought of legit NHL power forwards on this roster.

Quick name a team that won a cup since the 05 lockout that didn't have a "power winger" now name one that didn't have a top 2 center....

the mythos of Kassian continues.

Also I doubt very much that Zack Kassian maxes out as anything above a borderline 2/3line winger. Kid doesn't have the heart.

Quick name a team that won a cup since the 05 lockout that didn't have a "power winger" now name one that didn't have a top 2 center....

the mythos of Kassian continues.

Also I doubt very much that Zack Kassian maxes out as anything above a borderline 2/3line winger. Kid doesn't have the heart.

The answer to both of your questions is the Blackhawks. They don't have a true "power forward" and were carried by Kane, Bickell and Sharp to the Cup this season. Teams like the Bruins, Kings and Penguins have top line centers and the bigger power forwards upfront.

The answer to both of your questions is the Blackhawks. They don't have a true "power forward" and were carried by Kane, Bickell and Sharp to the Cup this season. Teams like the Bruins, Kings and Penguins have top line centers and the bigger power forwards upfront.

Okay thats fair. Can you name some guys from Bruins, Kings, Pens that you think of as the power forwards. I am not arguing that they don't have them but just curious who you were thinking of... Obviously Brown and Lucic come to mind but who else were you thinking of?

Okay thats fair. Can you name some guys from Bruins, Kings, Pens that you think of as the power forwards. I am not arguing that they don't have them but just curious who you were thinking of... Obviously Brown and Lucic come to mind but who else were you thinking of?

Pittsburgh won with the likes of Kunitz and Cooke on the wing and Staal and Talbot up the middle in support of the big guns. The Kings had Brown as you stated along with Stoll and players like Kopitar, Carter and even a Dustin Penner. The Bruins won with Lucic, Recchi, Horton and Thornton.

Looking back on the previous Stanley Cup winners, it reinforces my opinion of a need to have have big physical forwards within the top the six.

Pittsburgh won with the likes of Kunitz and Cooke on the wing and Staal and Talbot up the middle in support of the big guns. The Kings had Brown as you stated along with Stoll and players like Kopitar, Carter and even a Dustin Penner. The Bruins won with Lucic, Recchi, Horton and Thornton.

Looking back on the previous Stanley Cup winners, it reinforces my opinion of a need to have have big physical forwards within the top the six.

Which does nothing but reinforce my belief that we should have taken Nichushkin.

You know you're being trolled when Shawn Thornton is listed as a reason a team won the Cup.

That is unknown conjecture. But what we do know at this moment is that the trade is heavily in our favor.

Just for the sake of discussion: who is more important to the Bruins: Bergeron or Lucic? Because those 2 IMHO represent the respective ceilings for Hodgson and Kassian.

IMHO it's Bergeron, but it would be great to have both.