Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

Memo to Lindy Ruff - NEVER put Hodgson in a shoot out line up again - guy sucks!!!

By that thinking, Ennis should never ever be in a shoot out line up again either, his 'attempt' against Colorado was a great deal more horrible than Hodgson's miss. Turns out putting Ennis back in the next shoot out turned out just fine, even if he almost made the exact same mistake again.

Still waiting for Hodgson to show me something...anything...other than being a minus every game. Hearing the Canucks fans talk after the trade, I thought we were getting a real star in the making. Turns out we traded raw prospect for raw prospect. Truthfully the trade looks bad for both players so far. I thought Kassian looked pretty good in his role in Buffalo and Hodgson was clearly more comfortable in Vancouver than he is here so far.

Pretty much.

It's WAAAY too early to say whether the trade will end up good / bad / indifferent for the '70 bros.

I didn't have a problem w/ Lindy putting Hodgson in the shootout. If he'd've scored there, he's finally out of his slump, and it's not like the other shooters were ripping new holes in the twine.

Still waiting for Hodgson to show me something...anything...other than being a minus every game. Hearing the Canucks fans talk after the trade, I thought we were getting a real star in the making. Turns out we traded raw prospect for raw prospect. Truthfully the trade looks bad for both players so far. I thought Kassian looked pretty good in his role in Buffalo and Hodgson was clearly more comfortable in Vancouver than he is here so far.

How about a couple of goals? lol

Glad Hodgson is off the schnide.

Did you know that the only points that Kassian has scored in a Vancouver uniform, were the 2 he registered against the Sabres?

Kassian 2pts / Hodgson 4pts

Oh but wait, there's more! :(

Sulzer has a goal & 2 assists in Buffalo, while MAG has got...... squat. :cry:

I still think the trade is a question mark (depends on how these 2 rookies develop) but right now it looks like the Sabres got the better deal, at least as scoring is concerned.

The real problem in Vancouver was that CoHo couldn't expect to get more than 3rd line minutes for a few more years, and playing behind 2 top centers (Art Ross & Selke winning) he shouldn't really expect more. Turns out his father & agent were pestering the Canucks management about this, they were just surprised that the 'Nucks pulled the trigger this year. :blink:

So if CoHo develops some chemistry with Stafford & Ennis (Leino?) you might have a solid second line.

By the way, if Roy is #1 center, and CoHo is 2nd or 3rd, who is the other center?

Is McCormick a 3rd or 4th line center? :unsure:

I still think the trade is a question mark (depends on how these 2 rookies develop) but right now it looks like the Sabres got the better deal, at least as scoring is concerned.

The real problem in Vancouver was that CoHo couldn't expect to get more than 3rd line minutes for a few more years, and playing behind 2 top centers (Art Ross & Selke winning) he shouldn't really expect more. Turns out his father & agent were pestering the Canucks management about this, they were just surprised that the 'Nucks pulled the trigger this year. :blink:

So if CoHo develops some chemistry with Stafford & Ennis (Leino?) you might have a solid second line.

By the way, if Roy is #1 center, and CoHo is 2nd or 3rd, who is the other center?

Ennis will be one of the centres, Roy another and Coho - with McCormick as the 4th line centre (or maybe Boyes)

As for next season, who knows!

I like the lines atm, as they have a centre, a scorer and a grinder - classic set-up

Ennis is arguably Buffalo's #1 center

Ennis...

The Stafford, Ennis, Foligno line is not getting broken up anytime soon. Even without putting points up last night against Montreal, they generated a metric crap ton of chances, and backchecked really really well.

CoHo and Ennis are definitely our top 2 centers right now, and Roy is like a 2B.

Roy is should not be the #1. I'd say with him centering the Sabres best healthy defensive forward (who will also almost certainly top 30 goals) and Leino that he is in the #3 role that he should be in.

Right now, Ennis is playing like a #1 center (who'd've known) and Cody projects to a #2 with some seasoning.

I would not be surprised at all to see Roy and a good D get moved for another center (perhaps w/ some picks / prospects thrown in).

McCormick is a 4th liner regardless of where he lines up. Adam is probably the 4th line center next year.

With the addition of Hodgson and the emergence of Ennis, if it continues and Roy is upgraded, the Sabres actually appear to be following the Baahston model - no true #1 pivot but a lot of quality 2's.

Don't be surprised to see the Sabres package their 2 #1's this year with a prospect/pro to move up into the top 2-3 spots in this year's draft.

Edited by Taro T

Ennis...

The Stafford, Ennis, Foligno line is not getting broken up anytime soon. Even without putting points up last night against Montreal, they generated a metric crap ton of chances, and backchecked really really well.

CoHo and Ennis are definitely our top 2 centers right now, and Roy is like a 2B.

OK thanks! But I was looking this up and it had Ennis as a winger? :unsure:

Has he converted this season?

So how do you guys see the top 6 for the playoffs this year?

If Ennis is the best center, shouldn't he be on the top line with the best wingers? (Pominville, Vanek?)

Would it be healthy for Roy & Cody to compete for the #2 spot?

If you leave the Stafford/Ennis/Foligno line together, how do you get the Roy & Vanek line producing?

Just curious.....

Edited by Zamboni Driver

OK thanks! But I was looking this up and it had Ennis as a winger? :unsure:

Has he converted this season?

So how do you guys see the top 6 for the playoffs this year?

If Ennis is the best center, shouldn't he be on the top line with the best wingers? (Pominville, Vanek?)

Would it be healthy for Roy & Cody to compete for the #2 spot?

If you leave the Stafford/Ennis/Foligno line together, how do you get the Roy & Vanek line producing?

Just curious.....

He used to be a center, then they converted him to a winger, and now back...it's complicated

The top 9 should be

Stafford - Ennis - Foligno

Vanek - Hodgson - ? (Tropp/Gerbe?)

Leino - Roy - Pommers

These lines are clicking, they found chemistry. Really Cody and Roy are 2A/2B centers. Roy and Vanek should not be together in my honest opinion. You tend to get more out of Van when he's not with Roy.

Thankful my early worries about Hodgson appear unfounded. The guy has been rock solid the last two games. Almost like that first point was psychological - now with that wall broken, CoHo is really starting to produce. Didn't come a minute too soon with so much on the line right now.

You know he must be pretty decent if Roby is talking him up during intermission - he's usually pretty honest and straightforward in either praise or criticism.

Edited by Jsixspd

Thankful my early worries about Hodgson appear unfounded. The guy has been rock solid the last two games. Almost like that first point was psychological - now with that wall broken, CoHo is really starting to produce. Didn't come a minute too soon with so much on the line right now.

You know he must be pretty decent if Roby is talking him up during intermission - he's usually pretty honest and straightforward in either praise or criticism.

Generally speaking, it's probably a bad idea to judge any player, let alone a 21 year old rookie, on a 10 game sample size. Agreed? ;)

• Like (+1) 1

He used to be a center, then they converted him to a winger, and now back...it's complicated

The top 9 should be

Stafford - Ennis - Foligno

Vanek - Hodgson - ? (Tropp/Gerbe?)

Leino - Roy - Pommers

These lines are clicking, they found chemistry. Really Cody and Roy are 2A/2B centers. Roy and Vanek should not be together in my honest opinion. You tend to get more out of Van when he's not with Roy.

With the exception of Pomms, you can say that about all of the Sabre forwards. Leino seems to be playing better lately (last 10-15 games) but doesn't appear to be headed for any reasonable scoring this season, so keep him w/ those 2.

With the exception of Pomms, you can say that about all of the Sabre forwards. Leino seems to be playing better lately (last 10-15 games) but doesn't appear to be headed for any reasonable scoring this season, so keep him w/ those 2.

Pommer could play with Steven Hawking at center and Verne Troyer on left wing and still would lead the team in scoring.

Pommer could play with Steven Hawking at center and Verne Troyer on left wing and still would lead the team in scoring.

:lol: I knew you'd chime in w/ something good to that one.

Pommer-Brief History of Time-Mini Me Line.

:w00t:

Pominville - Novotny - Gerbe ?

I was thinking more Pominville - Titanic - Gerbe. We can stick Gerbe at center and watch Shrader's head explode. ;)

IMO that line will not even survive this season. One game of poor play out of them and "Shuffle Ruff, Shuffle Often" will be up to his old tricks.

This is definitely a possibility, but Lindy is giving them their fair chance to keep the production up. The #1 powerplay unit was Roy Hodgson Vanek Pominville and Ehrhoff... their second unit was the Ennis line. They are awesome right now, and the fact that Stafford and a rookie are putting up points with Ennis gives us tremendous depth.. Vanek has been colder than ever but you know what he's capable of, and if Hodgson gets hot and we get that line producing more... it's like a completely different team. Hoow do we suddenly find ourselves with center "depth" ? Roy is an awesome asset to have as a "third" line center. Depending on how you look at the lines. IMO there's only one line that isn't a #1/2 line and that's the 4th line obviously.

In tonight's games:

CoHo - 23shifts 16:21TOI

Kassian - 13shifts 09:50TOI

Hodgson has more potential and will have more oppurtunities to play with top end talent than Kassian will because Hodgson is simply better. He seems to be assisting Vanek's production over the last week and that is a great thing.

This is definitely a possibility, but Lindy is giving them their fair chance to keep the production up. The #1 powerplay unit was Roy Hodgson Vanek Pominville and Ehrhoff... their second unit was the Ennis line. They are awesome right now, and the fact that Stafford and a rookie are putting up points with Ennis gives us tremendous depth.. Vanek has been colder than ever but you know what he's capable of, and if Hodgson gets hot and we get that line producing more... it's like a completely different team. Hoow do we suddenly find ourselves with center "depth" ? Roy is an awesome asset to have as a "third" line center. Depending on how you look at the lines. IMO there's only one line that isn't a #1/2 line and that's the 4th line obviously.

ask you shall receive... Vanek and CoHo are starting to develop a little chemistry, lets hope that trend continues.

For those keeping score at home:

Hodgson - 3g 3a in 14gp

Kassian - 1g 1a in 12gp

For those keeping score at home:

Hodgson - 3g 3a in 14gp

Kassian - 1g 1a in 12gp

Here is the more telling stat line:

Foligno - 6g 4a in 9gp

We got a potential 1st line center and gave a kid a chance to show that he not only belongs, but could be the power forward we've been missing since Andrychuck.

I agree and have almost posted this sentiment many, many times. Not only are they incredibly juvenile, but they aren't even relevant today. Is there a single person out there that thinks this team doesn't have major issues?

A certain faction of people wanted to wait and see what would happen to the team dynamics under Pegula, by only changing one piece at a time - the other faction didn't want to wait and wanted to fire the owner, the partner, the GM, the coach, and the players all at the same time.

Regardless, I see little evidence that anyone thinks the team that takes the ice now is set for success.

If they were making a playoff push they never would have sent Gaustad to Nashville. It's amazing how quickly people ignore that one.

The best thing that could happen for Hodgson would be for the Sabres to miss the playoffs and he gets sent down to the Amerks for the playoffs. He can use all the games he can get in the Sabres system right now.

The game is at a different speed than Stafford is able or willing to play this year. If you take away the hat tricks he miraculously came up with last year, he had his typical year, which means disappearing for long stretches.

Can't believe I just wasted my 200th post saying that.

IMO that line will not even survive this season. One game of poor play out of them and "Shuffle Ruff, Shuffle Often" will be up to his old tricks.

This thread is ripe, and I mean ripe with folks rushing to judgement. These are five or so I just thought I'd pin together to give a sense of the impatience of a modern day Sabres fan..

Madam Chairworman... I'd like to revise and extend my remarks...

Edited by wjag
  • Like (+1) 1