2012 Trade RUMOR Thread. (Keep the deadline thread for substantiated stuff).

Eleven

Somehow I don't think a decision that big is going to be affected by current standing. He's got a contract through 2018 so I don't think he would be thinking short term. Even though the Sabres are not playing up to par lately doesn't mean there isn't potential and it won't take much to push us to the top. And it's not like Pegula/Black haven't changed their minds about building a Cup contender. Any potential new player can see that the goal is here to become a contender. If Golisano were still the owner it might be a different story. If Nash's main goal is to live someplace more metropolitan then yeah, he might not pick BFLO. But if he wants to go someplace where there is potential I can't see him leaving BFLO off the table. There are some powerhouse teams I'm sure he would consider first, but I don't think he would turn BFLO down just because we're currently in 13th. If he were a free agent at the end of the year I can see him wanting to go someplace just to try and win a Cup this year and then reassess his options during the offseason, but his current contract status would most likely mean he would prefer a team that can and will be successful for the next 6-7 years.

Isn't every team's goal to build a winner? I don't understand the Buffalo fan's sentiment that because we finally have guys that are trying to win now that every player in the league will want to hop on the bandwagon and make us a top destination. Players respond to winning and organizational consistentcy. One offseason of spending and speaches about winning a cup isn't changing anyone's mind.

To the metropolitan comment, I think him living and being comfortable in Columbus actually helps the arguement for Buffalo. Columbus and Buffalo are pretty similar in city size and style and if he enjoys the smaller type cities that gives us a leg up. I would argue that our fanbase, however, is much stronger and he would get a lot more attention in our city than in Columbus.

Isn't every team's goal to build a winner? I don't understand the Buffalo fan's sentiment that because we finally have guys that are trying to win now that every player in the league will want to hop on the bandwagon and make us a top destination. Players respond to winning and organizational consistentcy. One offseason of spending and speaches about winning a cup isn't changing anyone's mind.

To the metropolitan comment, I think him living and being comfortable in Columbus actually helps the arguement for Buffalo. Columbus and Buffalo are pretty similar in city size and style and if he enjoys the smaller type cities that gives us a leg up. I would argue that our fanbase, however, is much stronger and he would get a lot more attention in our city than in Columbus.

Yes, every teams goal SHOULD be to build a winner, but there are a few teams who aren't doing a very good job of doing so or are content with being mediocre. As BFLO was for years with Golisano. Perhaps I should have worder my post better. I wasn't implying that some teams don't want to win, it's just that some teams are hitting rock bottom and some teams are barely in the rebuilding phase. Some might disagree, but I think BFLO is just a couple steps from being a contender and don't need to rebuild. With that said, the point of my last post is that Nash would probably rather go to a team that is winning or will be winning in the very near future, and that he might be the one to help push them to that point. I would assume at his age that he might not want to consider a team that is 2-3 years away from winning. Wasn't really implying that some teams don't want to win, haha. Just that he might prefer going somewhere where he doesn't have to keep dealing with losing all the time.

I like your point about him being comfortable in Columbus. If that's the case then yeah, he might like BFLO.

Yes, every teams goal SHOULD be to build a winner, but there are a few teams who aren't doing a very good job of doing so or are content with being mediocre. As BFLO was for years with Golisano. Perhaps I should have worder my post better. I wasn't implying that some teams don't want to win, it's just that some teams are hitting rock bottom and some teams are barely in the rebuilding phase. Some might disagree, but I think BFLO is just a couple steps from being a contender and don't need to rebuild. With that said, the point of my last post is that Nash would probably rather go to a team that is winning or will be winning in the very near future, and that he might be the one to help push them to that point. I would assume at his age that he might not want to consider a team that is 2-3 years away from winning. Wasn't really implying that some teams don't want to win, haha. Just that he might prefer going somewhere where he doesn't have to keep dealing with losing all the time.

I like your point about him being comfortable in Columbus. If that's the case then yeah, he might like BFLO.

While you might think we are close, I would be one of those that disagrees with you. Around the league, a team that is currently in a tie for 12th/14th in the eastern conference looks much more like a "rock bottom" or "rebuilding" team than a cup contender. I think a lot of the fans in this city are disillusioned that TP can just keep throwing money at the problem with the next big FA/trade. We have a lot of bad players making a lot of money. That looks more like rebuilding than playoffs to me.

And neither team has one.

Columbus thought they were getting one this offseason. Unfortunately for them it was Jeff Carter :bag:

While you might think we are close, I would be one of those that disagrees with you. Around the league, a team that is currently in a tie for 12th/14th in the eastern conference looks much more like a "rock bottom" or "rebuilding" team than a cup contender. I think a lot of the fans in this city are disillusioned that TP can just keep throwing money at the problem with the next big FA/trade. We have a lot of bad players making a lot of money. That looks more like rebuilding than playoffs to me.

No need to rebuild because of them. Dumping Roy, Stafford and Boyes wouldn't constitute a rebuild.

They have the younger players that the Blue Jackets would want. Callahan/Dubinsky type players and one of their younger dmen. Nash would want to go to the top team in the eastern conference in a big market IMO.

I can't see the Rags wanting to give up the future of their team for him though.

I hate speculating on trades, but if the Sabres ever were to get involved with something like this, a guy like Ryan Miller would probably be someone Columbus would target. His star may have faded a bit as of late, but Miller is a marquee name that a faceless franchise like Columbus could market to their fans. And lets face it, many times teams will go that route first instead of making decision based purely on hockey.

The Sabres would obviously have to throw some other good pieces for the deal, but that price could be lowered a bit by taking Steve Mason off their hands. That's a major league reclamation project right there.

Which is why the whole Nash being traded at the deadline thing has a small chance of actually happening. That's what Columbus would want back - young players that are NHL or close to NHL ready.

So what do you think would be a reasonable offer from Buffalo for him?

I hate the bring Eklund into this but his recent tweets are interesting:

Eklund Hockey Buzz Eklund

Nash to Kings looks done

Bernier penner hunter and a pick

edit: Then he says this, which probably means this whole post was a waste of time:

Looking for 100% confirmation. But it is a VERY strong rumor

Columbus would want a goalie back since their goaltenders are... awful.

Which brings Miller or Enroth into the equation. If it is Miller than they have a new franchise player and it is relatively even salary and talent wise. We would have to give a few more smaller pieces - say a Sekera or MAG and Stafford. We take Mason off their hands.

Nash and Mason for Miller, Stafford and MAG. (?)

I hate the bring Eklund into this but his recent tweets are interesting:

Nash to Kings looks done

Bernier penner hunter and a pick

edit: Then he says this, which probably means this whole post was a waste of time:

Looking for 100% confirmation. But it is a VERY strong rumor

How many times is Penner going to be traded based on potential :lol:

Columbus would want a goalie back since their goaltenders are... awful.

Which brings Miller or Enroth into the equation. If it is Miller than they have a new franchise player and it is relatively even salary and talent wise. We would have to give a few more smaller pieces - say a Sekera or MAG and Stafford. We take Mason off their hands.

Nash and Mason for Miller, Stafford and MAG. (?)

How many times is Penner going to be traded based on potential :lol:

but again we get into what you keep bringing up, the NTC/NMC's, both Miller and Nash have them, or some form of them. I can't see Miller reasoning for agreeing to a deal that ships him to CBJ. And I think that Miller for Nash is pretty even since the Sabres are taking on more salary in the deal, chances are it would include a swap of picks to even anything else out, not Stafford or Mags. Only other way I see your proposal working out is if its a 3-way deal with teh Kings or Anaheim that has Miller going out west for Hiller or one of the Kings goalies to the Blue Jackets.

I guess it depends what they want and are looking for?

If I were going to make an offer, my first offer would be Roy, Adam or McNabb, Enroth and some picks for Nash and Mason (or their backup)

They get a current NHL player that has put up numbers and may just need a change of scenery, one of the Sabres better prospects with NHL experience, a potential starter in net and some picks for Nash and a salary dump in net (if Mason) to even out the goalie situation

This offer would probably get shot down by people here, but it would be the starting point to see what they counter with

Hunter & Penner are both UFAs at the end of the year, so would amount to just Bernier & the pick, if true.

That could work if they are just looking to clear cap space and dump salary, but I think they want pieces to rebuild on, I think they can still keep nash and have cap space to make moves otherwise

Archived