Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

Carroll Spinney, who voices Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch, is beyond awesome. 

A cut and paste of the top Q&A in his AMA on Reddit. 

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/356sal/hi_reddit_im_caroll_spinney_the_puppeteer_who_has/

[–]

3 hours ago  

What has been your most meaningful interaction with a child during filming? Or maybe from someone who grew up watching you and relayed a poignant story?

[–]CarollSpinney[S] 2544 points

3 hours agox3 

Okay, here's one.

This is a very sad story, but it's real.

I got a letter from a fan who said his little boy, who was 5 years old, his name was Joey, he was dying of cancer.

And he was so ill, the little boy knew he was dying.

So the man, in his letter, asked if I would call the little boy. He said the only thing that cheered him at all in his fading state was to see Big Bird on television.

So once in a while, he wouldn't see Big Bird on some days, because he wasn't necessarily in every show. So he asked could I telephone him, and talk to the boy, tell him what a good boy he's been.

So I took a while to look up a phone, because this was before cell phones. And they got a long cord to bring a phone to the boy.

And I had Big Bird say "Hello! Hello Joey! It's me, Big Bird!"

So he said "Is it really you, Big Bird?"

"Yes, it is."

I chatted a while with him, about ten minutes, and he said "I'm glad you're my friend Big Bird."

And I said "I'd better let you go now."

He said "Thank you for calling me Big Bird. You're my friend. You make me happy."

And it turns out that his father and mother were sitting with him when the phone call came. And he was very, very ill that day. And they called the parents in, because they weren't sure how long he'd last.

And so his father wrote to me right away, and said "Thank you, thank you" - he hadn't seen him smile since October, and this was in March - and when the phone was hung up, he said "Big Bird called me! He's my friend."

And he closed his eyes. And he passed away.

And I could see that what I say to children can be very important.

And he said "We haven't seen our little boy smile in MONTHS. He smiled, as he passed away. It was a gift to us. Thank you."

(And, in the most Reddit thing ever, I'm just now noticing that the guy who posed that question has a screen name of "man mayo." Oh, Internet.)

Edited by That Aud Smell

Interview tomorrow morning (if i could donate a few of my interview opportunities to bio i would in a heartbeat). Got everything squared away so I'm on the deck enjoying my current favorite warm weather cocktail, Mexican mule. A delicious concoction of tequila, lime juice, and ginger beer.

Interview tomorrow morning (if i could donate a few of my interview opportunities to bio i would in a heartbeat). Got everything squared away so I'm on the deck enjoying my current favorite warm weather cocktail, Mexican mule. A delicious concoction of tequila, lime juice, and ginger beer.

I think I like the sound of this beverage.

Mmmm. I brew a dark gingered ale. Hops and ginger hold hands and skip across my taste buds. I need to get a bottle of tequila now.

Mmmm. I brew a dark gingered ale. Hops and ginger hold hands and skip across my taste buds. I need to get a bottle of tequila now.

I'm thinking of a Belgian mule now.  A spicy, gingery saison like Hennepin with vodka and lime juice.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

What tequila are you using? This is important. We have a duty to be tequila snobs too.

No snobbery here.  Tequila snob tequila eats heavily into my bourbon budget, and that I can't abide.  I go with Tres Agaves reposado, $25/750ml at mahan's in Brockport and a really great value IMO.

No snobbery here.  Tequila snob tequila eats heavily into my bourbon budget, and that I can't abide.  I go with Tres Agaves reposado, $25/750ml at mahan's in Brockport and a really great value IMO.

post-1429-0-28357900-1431047123_thumb.jpg

Best deal goin' in tequila.

No snobbery here. Tequila snob tequila eats heavily into my bourbon budget, and that I can't abide. I go with Tres Agaves reposado, $25/750ml at mahan's in Brockport and a really great value IMO.

It's not the one I would have picked off the shelf which makes it a good recommendation. Espolon was always our go to.

8218_TQ_FamiliaCamarena-Reposado_1.75L.jpg

Best deal goin' in tequila.

That's well reviewed too. I'll have to do some sleuthing this weekend.

I've never noticed that one. I will keep an eye out for it

I have a bottle of the silver right now. It's really clean but maybe a little boring because of it. The gold I can drink straight all day (and often do). Nice vanilla notes (did I do that right?).

I have a bottle of the silver right now. It's really clean but maybe a little boring because of it. The gold I can drink straight all day (and often do). Nice vanilla notes (did I do that right?).

Beautifully

Yeah, man; quit hogging all the job mojo!  :P