Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

Nothing wrong with it! There's plenty of girly girls out there. I guess we gotta be careful as a culture to not demonize that, either.

As an adult, I have a desk full of matchbox cars, but I love my dresses heels and makeup. It's just frustrating to buy anything cut for my body shape to do something outdoorsy/sports related and I have a choice- pink or some other pastel. Want a Sabres/Bills/any sports tshirt cut for my waist/bust? Hope you like deeeeep v necks, sheer material, stupid colors and glitter. Harumph.

Come on, this was #1 on my search result:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/400607757305?lpid=82

Come on, this was #1 on my search result:

http://www.ebay.com/...7757305?lpid=82

That's not too bad. But they still had to go cut a notch into it.

Oddly, I have noticed that Buffalo sports teams apparel is more sane than a certain other city's stuff I frequent. Maybe they know that most Buffalo women are a little more down to earth?

That's not too bad. But they still had to go cut a notch into it.

Oddly, I have noticed that Buffalo sports teams apparel is more sane than a certain other city's stuff I frequent. Maybe they know that most Buffalo women are a little more down to earth?

Scroll down a bit on that link. It gets worse. I hate that crap.

Congrats on getting paid for that big job.

This is definitely awesome (little girls and Rube Goldberg machines FTW!):

http://www.upworthy....-harvard-am2-8a

F pink sports jerseys and Barbie dolls!

I have a niece whom I try to encourage with the creative/building/nature/sports/whatever toys. So do her parents.

She'll choose the Disney princesses every time.

Nothing wrong with it! There's plenty of girly girls out there. I guess we gotta be careful as a culture to not demonize that, either.

that's a good piece of ad work.

i do, though, dislike the ad's intimation that caring and attentive parents push the pink/princess stuff on girls without thought, in what amounts to a brainwash of sorts.

because, as eleven noted, there are a lot of girls out there (3 of the 4 of mine included, to varying degrees) who just naturally gravitate toward that spectrum. the barbies were especially favored in our playroom not only because of the opportunity to create all sorts of outfits, but for the ease with which those dolls can be made to carry on long, long, long (long) conversations about all sorts of things.

but yeah. the mission of making the sciences and such more accessible to girls is to the greater good.

i do, though, dislike the ad's intimation that caring and attentive parents push the pink/princess stuff on girls without thought, in what amounts to a brainwash of sorts.

because, as eleven noted, there are a lot of girls out there (3 of the 4 of mine included, to varying degrees) who just naturally gravitate toward that spectrum. the barbies were especially favored in our playroom not only because of the opportunity to create all sorts of outfits, but for the ease with which those dolls can be made to carry on long, long, long (long) conversations about all sorts of things.

but yeah. the mission of making the sciences and such more accessible to girls is to the greater good.

I don't think it's so much the parents as the toy marketing and advertising folks I'd rail against. I took the ad as more of a dig against the toy companies for largely promoting pink and "girl-appropriate" things and not making some of these other things available. And again; I don't mean to suggest it's a bad thing that many little girls like Disney princesses and Barbies... I just dislike that they're often the only options presented as gender appropriate.

I took the ad as more of a dig against the toy companies for largely promoting pink and "girl-appropriate" things and not making some of these other things available.

i appreciate that. my take was that it's a persuasive ad directed to the consumers who will buy the alternative toys. hence, the admonition seemed addressed to the intended audience. but maybe, as you say, it's meant to be more meta than that.

The dolls...they never shut up! And what the hell are they talking about?! It is kind of awesome watching her imagination at work, though.

Good stuff. Good man.

p.s. To this day, the funniest thing that ever got said on a hockey broadcast was when Harry Neale waxed weirdly ######-erotic about Jay McKee adjusting his lid in the penalty box during the 1999 ECSF - something about how, "y'know ... if this were 1979, we'd all be getting the benefit of seeing that beautiful mane of hair flowing majestically behind him as he skated up ice." so, yeah: let the breeze flow through the kid's hair!

edit: h o m o is filterable?

Edited by That Aud Smell

That's the first thing Gramma said. What's the worst that could happen, she could hit her head and start talking?

Oh, c'mon! That's funny.

That was fun to watch.

Don't give up. You never know what will spring her. I used to work at a library and the kids would pop balloons with a book title inside then get a prize when they came and gave a verbal book report after reading the story. If the children's librarian was on break, I'd get to cover. One little guy who would come in with his sister and grandma was similar in that he didn't speak much at all. By the end of the summer, he would talk with me with just a few words, and his grandma was in tears telling me how much that meant to the family. One of the coolest things I've ever felt in my life. I guess having the mentality of a 5 year old myself, helped. Now if I only had the same effect on the 18-25 female demographic........

You never know.

I'm willing to recreate this scene with you for the good of the board if you're willing to push the wagon.

a true LOL.

and i apologize for being spotty enough with the board that i'm only now picking up in pieces the backstory of the beautiful child in that wagon. god bless.