Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

I've lost 30 LBS since January (down to 235 from 265). I have felt like I am in much better shape, running for 5 miles without a problem. My girlfriend runs half marathons (at least 2 a summer). I have made it my personal goal to run a half marathon with her and my sister next spring/summer. I also made it a personal goal to complete this: TM, Next summer, with a team of my sister, my girlfriend, and her brother.

Great on you. I joined a gym in January after having my closest friend die too young on his 48th birthday (and seeing 240lbs on the scale only added fuel to my fire). I'm down to 220 and stronger than I have ever been in my life. My knees protest when I run so I am stuck to the elliptical machines and the bike for cardio. My goal is to be under 200lbs by Feb 1. It'll be the first time I've seen the other side of 200lbs in over 15 years.

Good luck on your run.

I've lost 30 LBS since January (down to 235 from 265). I have felt like I am in much better shape, running for 5 miles without a problem. My girlfriend runs half marathons (at least 2 a summer). I have made it my personal goal to run a half marathon with her and my sister next spring/summer. I also made it a personal goal to complete this: TM, Next summer, with a team of my sister, my girlfriend, and her brother.

Great on you. I joined a gym in January after having my closest friend die too young on his 48th birthday (and seeing 240lbs on the scale only added fuel to my fire). I'm down to 220 and stronger than I have ever been in my life. My knees protest when I run so I am stuck to the elliptical machines and the bike for cardio. My goal is to be under 200lbs by Feb 1. It'll be the first time I've seen the other side of 200lbs in over 15 years.

Good luck on your run.

both of you are inspirational. i've lost 35, but i have a significant amount more to go than either of you. :) i'm content with my 280 right now, but yah ... lots more to go. and like weave, my knees *hate* running, but i can bike 30-40 miles without batting an eye, so that's where my exercise comes in.

and dammit, i just grabbed a coke zero ... now i have guilt.

I'd swear knees hate just about everything. They're like me in the complaint thursday thread. Eventually people just learn to be like the rest of you and just not listen.

Worst part is, I used to love to run. I was a distance runner in school and picked it up again (briefly) in my late 20's. I'm hoping that <200lbs is what my knees need to be happy running.

Good on all you weight losers! I'm looking forward to getting back on the ice this week. Signed the girlfriend and myself up for intramural ice hockey at RIT which is great. She's gonna play for the first time!

The jury is still out for me on running. Sometimes it makes my knee feel better, other times worse. I can't figure it out. So I just try to ignore it.

Good luck on your run.

both of you are inspirational. i've lost 35, but i have a significant amount more to go than either of you. :) i'm content with my 280 right now, but yah ... lots more to go. and like weave, my knees *hate* running, but i can bike 30-40 miles without batting an eye, so that's where my exercise comes in.

and dammit, i just grabbed a coke zero ... now i have guilt.

Awesome gentlemen. Weight loss will definately have an effect on your knee pain. Supplements might help too, I take tripple strength flexamin, it makes world of difference.

Hope you don't mind some unsolicited advice:

Cardio: if running gets to be too hard on the knees walk on a treadmill at 3% incline at 4.2 mph, that should burn about 1000 calories an hour without too much impact on the knees.

Weight loss: what you put into your body has way more impact on weight loss than exercising. Every deployment I have fat kids that lose 20+ pounds the first month. It has alot more to do with beer and pizza being eliminated from thier diet than anything else.

Your body will adjust to what you are doing. Don't get discouraged if you plateau, switch it up. If you are like me and prefer free weights at your own pace, when you do plateau switch to crossfit for a couple weeks then go back to the weights.

Crossfit. I hate it, don't need it, won't do it, but it is absolutely the best thing for weight loss.

Awesome gentlemen. Weight loss will definately have an effect on your knee pain. Supplements might help too, I take tripple strength flexamin, it makes world of difference.

Hope you don't mind some unsolicited advice:

Cardio: if running gets to be too hard on the knees walk on a treadmill at 3% incline at 4.2 mph, that should burn about 1000 calories an hour without too much impact on the knees.

Weight loss: what you put into your body has way more impact on weight loss than exercising. Every deployment I have fat kids that lose 20+ pounds the first month. It has alot more to do with beer and pizza being eliminated from thier diet than anything else.

Your body will adjust to what you are doing. Don't get discouraged if you plateau, switch it up. If you are like me and prefer free weights at your own pace, when you do plateau switch to crossfit for a couple weeks then go back to the weights.

Crossfit. I hate it, don't need it, won't do it, but it is absolutely the best thing for weight loss.

Yeah, that ain't happening. Beer is why I am not down to 200lbs already. :P

Free we

Awesome stories above. I have a problem that is opposite of most. I run a lot for fun, and for track in spring, and am desperately trying to put on weight as well, as I am a twig. It has actually been working better than I thought it would, but I want to weigh more.

Free weights - high weight, low reps. Take a weight gain supplement(tru-mass, mass-tech or some equivalent).

Free we

Free weights - high weight, low reps. Take a weight gain supplement(tru-mass, mass-tech or some equivalent).

Thanks, I'm trying, but I'm kind of an amateur at this point...and I can't afford supplements, literally, because of gas/insurance payments on a min. Wage job being fit around school, but I'm taking full advantage of someone else cooking my meals, eating a lot more than I did, and I like to think I'm eating right. With the few weights I do have, I have been seeing results since I started a year or so ago.

Thanks, I'm trying, but I'm kind of an amateur at this point...and I can't afford supplements, literally, because of gas/insurance payments on a min. Wage job being fit around school, but I'm taking full advantage of someone else cooking my meals, eating a lot more than I did, and I like to think I'm eating right. With the few weights I do have, I have been seeing results since I started a year or so ago.

You don't need supplements, but they can help. Just try to eat as much protein as you can. Fish and chicken are best, but don't ignore red meat. Your body needs iron.

You can also take vitamins to help with muscle regeneration. http://www.getbig.com/articles/faq-vit1.htm

You don't need supplements, but they can help. Just try to eat as much protein as you can. Fish and chicken are best, but don't ignore red meat. Your body needs iron.

You can also take vitamins to help with muscle regeneration. http://www.getbig.com/articles/faq-vit1.htm

Thanks for the advice, definitely will be putting it to use. Just had some chicken tonight, in fact, and hit every food group in quantity and quality today. It was a good day.

Once again, good luck and great job to all of those working on improving fitness. :)

Hank, how well does a supplement like Flexamin work for you?

It's awesome. Before I started taking it I was in constant pain and wore knee braces to run. About 3-4 weeks after I started taking it I was pain free, and have remained so for about three years now. Of course, as I said up thread I've been yo-yoing between 185 & 230 for a decade. I'm guessing the added pounds was a factor too.

It's awesome. Before I started taking it I was in constant pain and wore knee braces to run. About 3-4 weeks after I started taking it I was pain free, and have remained so for about three years now. Of course, as I said up thread I've been yo-yoing between 185 & 230 for a decade. I'm guessing the added pounds was a factor too.

Interesting. Well I bought a bottle tonight, so we'll see if it does the same thing for me. That would be magnificent!

Interesting. Well I bought a bottle tonight, so we'll see if it does the same thing for me. That would be magnificent!

Does that stuff work for the back?

Awesome stories above. I have a problem that is opposite of most. I run a lot for fun, and for track in spring, and am desperately trying to put on weight as well, as I am a twig. It has actually been working better than I thought it would, but I want to weigh more.

You may want to be a bit careful with some of this stuff at your age though. If you do decide to follow up on some advice here, be sure to check ahead that its ok for you.

I've found a recent change that I think is going to play an interesting role in that constant quest to return to decent shape. I've started trying to save some money, so I joined a different gym that is about $50 less per month. The place I used to be at was way over priced, but it was so convenient. Well this new place is ridiculously warm and I'm a sweaty mess even after 10 minutes on a treadmill (I don't even want to think of the how much I have to wipe off of the benches that I move on to after my half hour or so on the treadmill). Once I adjust to that temperature change in that place, I can see things going really well.

As for things that are awesome, that change in the rate I'm paying at the gym is great. Couple that with the annual reimbursement my health plan gives for gym memberships and I actually now have a free gym membership. The old place had a bunch of nice options, but I wasn't the least bit interested in them, so I'm thrilled about this one. $50 a month? So that's $600 saved per year right there. A nice little bonus as I'm now starting to consider exploring the housing/condo market with the wedding coming up in 11 months.

I broke my tibial plateau about six years ago, so my left knee have been an issue ever since. It broke off right through the cartilage so it's likely just a matter of when I'll need a knee replacement not if. I have an elliptical and try to stick to low impact stuff, and so far the knee has held up pretty well. I get the worst pain where the screws are in my knee when the weather is about to change.

Since none of that is in any way awesome.....I'll add that going home to Buffalo this weekend will be awesome, although I'm much less enthused about attending the Bills game than I was 48 hours ago

I've lost 50 lbs over the past year (215 down to 165). I'd love to say it was directly related to an increased workout regimen, but I attribute it 100% to my patented 3D diet.

Divorce - Depression - Diarrhea

Whatever works though, right? On the plus side, I had to go get all new hockey gear for the fall, because nothing fits!

I've lost 50 lbs over the past year (215 down to 165). I'd love to say it was directly related to an increased workout regimen, but I attribute it 100% to my patented 3D diet.

Divorce - Depression - Diarrhea

Whatever works though, right? On the plus side, I had to go get all new hockey gear for the fall, because nothing fits!

You're probably a lot faster now!