What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

I was out of rice, so I made a porridge.  The best porridge you ever will eat.

3  pork gyoza from the asian restaurant (frozen)

6 pieces of firm tofu from same restaurant (frozen)

2/3 of an order of shrimp coconut curry from yes, the same restaurant, extra hot and frozen

1 lime

couscous

water

1.  In a medium saucepan, with cover at the ready, heat some non-fragrant oil, like canola or something.  If you have a drop or two of sesame, fine, but you won't need more.  Medium heat.

2.  Mircrowave the curry to the point where it is warm, but not hot.

3.  Once the saucepan heats, add the gyoza and the tofu.  Turn up the heat to med-high (remember, they are frozen) and keep turning them so everything browns.

4.  Start another pot, with couscous.

5.  While the couscous cooks--you want no moisture left, just like any other time you've cooked couscous, keep working the gyoza and the tofu.

6.  When the couscous is ready, remove it.

7.  When the tofu is lightly browned, and the gyoza is starting to get crispy, get ready.  It's showtime.

8.  Dump the curry into the gyoza pot.  Oh, sauce and all.  That sauce is going to be important.

9.  Now dump the fully-cooked couscous in there.

10.  Cover that pot.  Very occasionally, give it a deep, pot-scraping stir.  On a 5/10 heat, you've got about 15 minutes to heaven left.

11.  When all--I mean all--liquid is absorbed, remove from heat.  Parcel 1/3 into one of those newfad disposable freezer containers.  Do the same with another 1/3.  

12.  Squeeze the lime over the remaining 1/3 and just dare to tell me I was wrong. 

Edited by Eleven

What are you doing later?

When I read your post, I was actually eating a pork loin and twice baked potato that our babysitter brought for us. It was unbelievably delicious. I think she feels sorry for us because whenever she comes over, we're feeding our daughter like potato chips and hot dogs, or Ritz crackers if we're feeling fancy.

When I read your post, I was actually eating a pork loin and twice baked potato that our babysitter brought for us. It was unbelievably delicious. I think she feels sorry for us because whenever she comes over, we're feeding our daughter like potato chips and hot dogs, or Ritz crackers if we're feeling fancy.

Your babysitter brings YOU food? Lucky, lol.

And Eleven, I do believe that's the first I've heard someone from the US refer to porridge. I want to start calling you Oliver Twist.

Edited by biodork

Your babysitter brings YOU food? Lucky, lol.

And Eleven, I do believe that's the first I've heard someone from the US refer to porridge. I want to start calling you Oliver Twist.

Please sir, may I 'ave some more? 

Bakin' up sweet potatoes. One yam makes a dinner for me. Cut a yam in half, two lunches! Super tasty. 

Ever since watching Mind of a Chef on Netflix over the Summer, I've been dying to make authentic ramen at home.  Today was the day.

OMG, is it possible to gorge yourself on soup?  I'm certain I just did.

Why would you go to the trouble when it comes in those convenient little packets (along with a week's supply of MSG)?   :P

Made the mother of all desserts a few months back - basically consisted of;

2 Stroopwafels (heated) - one whole and another crushed up (Stroopwafels are basically these Dutch caramelised-waffles that I discovered a few years ago in Amsterdam, and now they're everywhere over here [England])

Ice Cream - any flavour

Hot chocolate sauce

and surprisingly... a slide of battenberg all kinda crushed up.

I mean, this thing probably gave me diabetes, but I don't even care.

Some useful substitutes;

Can use custard, normal cream or maple syrup instead of the chocolate sauce or ice cream.

Use a normal waffle and one Stroppwafel instead of 2 Stroops (having the Stroops is really important, as you can tell)

And once you've got your basic pudding, just decorate it with whatever the hell you want; I crushed up some Cadbury Flakes and sprinkled them all over.

For the record: yes, I am a grown Male. I was making this with my very young cousin, but I definitely had more fun than she did.

Tried banh mi (Vietnamese sub) for the first time tonight. Didn't look very appealing, and for the most part not ingredients I'd normally go for, but my goodness... delicious!

There's a few Vietnamese restaurants around the Ithaca area (real and otherwise), and I haven't found something I don't like yet, but i'm also not being the bravest of souls when it comes to some dishes.   

There's a few Vietnamese restaurants around the Ithaca area (real and otherwise), and I haven't found something I don't like yet, but i'm also not being the bravest of souls when it comes to some dishes.

I like Vietnamese food, but haven't tried a lot of things outside of standard fare like spring rolls and Pho. One of my good friends is Vietnamese and her mom had ordered 350 Banh mi for a large community Lunar New Year's party that ended up getting canceled this past weekend due to weather, so they were scrambling Friday night to get the word out and sell them. What's amazing is that they DID manage to have takers lined up for all of them by Sat. morming; what's hilarious is that she told me lots of them were purchased by nail salons. :lol:

I like Vietnamese food, but haven't tried a lot of things outside of standard fare like spring rolls and Pho. One of my good friends is Vietnamese and her mom had ordered 350 Banh mi for a large community Lunar New Year's party that ended up getting canceled this past weekend due to weather, so they were scrambling Friday night to get the word out and sell them. What's amazing is that they DID manage to have takers lined up for all of them by Sat. morming; what's hilarious is that she told me lots of them were purchased by nail salons. :lol:

That's great  :lol:  :lol:

it was free...  :beer:

23?  For free?  You hanging with 1%'ers these days?  That's an easy $800 bottle on the open market if you can find it.

C'mon Liger, bring out your inner weave and give it some color.

23?  For free?  You hanging with 1%'ers these days?  That's an easy $800 bottle on the open market if you can find it.

C'mon Liger, bring out your inner weave and give it some color.

I had a free VIP ticket to a bourbon. beer. and BBQ festival.  We were one of the first ppl into it an they had a bottle of Pappy (literally 1) that you could get tastes from, we knew it might be there so while other idiots hit up the VIP tent to stuff their faces with bbq we went on a bourbon hunt and sure enough we found it.  1 taste per person (my buddy got 2) and it was gone about 10 minutes after they opened.  

So, it is very smooth. The smoky oak flavor is strong but not overpowering to start.  It finishes with vanilla but unlike some bourbon where you think you may have tasted vanilla, this you really do.  I think it was very good but it is over hyped.  The best part was the smoothness and lack of burn.  I had about 15 Bourbons yesterday an it was the best but not by such a large margin it makes paying a ton for a bottle worth it.  

Wow.  I am more than a little surprised that anyone would put a bottle with so little of it in distribution out for sampling.  Good on you.  It's the only Pappy expression I've yet to try.  And I doubt I will ever get the chance.

Wow.  I am more than a little surprised that anyone would put a bottle with so little of it in distribution out for sampling.  Good on you.  It's the only Pappy expression I've yet to try.  And I doubt I will ever get the chance.

I think the group that does the festival bought it as a draw for ppl to come.  

http://www.beerandbourbon.com/georgia/drink-menu

Edited by Ligerovich 4GM

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.