Scoreboard Watching!

deluca67

Some have said the Rangers will have nothing to play for, but I can't imagine they'd be too happy about losing the last game of the year to the team they would open the playoffs against. It's a very minor motivation, but it's something.

I really don't think it is in a competitor's blood to "lay down" to anyone, any time. I'm not concerned in the slightest about the Rangers' effort on Saturday, in the same way I have no doubt Philly and Boston will play hard against the Sabres.

I honestly hope the caps get no more points but if they split the games then that is the best the sabres can hope for. Honestly the concern is not will the Rangers show up but what if the Rangers would rather play the caps. They could choose their first round opponent and I am inclined to think they would rather see Washington than a Sabres team that played close games with them all season. Florida needs to be super motivated and win. They might be just that after their recent loss. If Florida can beat the Caps and we can win on Thursday as well I think we could make it but its going to be close.

For me, the concern is that there is NFW the Sabres will win their last 2 games playing the kind of D they played last night.

For me, the concern is that there is NFW the Sabres will win their last 2 games playing the kind of D they played last night.

It's a legitimate concern, and the defenses Buffalo is facing are not likely to give up 6, either.

They need Myers back Thursday. Badly.

Here's to the return of Myers on Thursday.

It's a legitimate concern, and the defenses Buffalo is facing are not likely to give up 6, either.

Hopefully the Flyers' bad defense and goaltending shows up. That game scares me way more than Boston right now, since I'm assuming they'll be playing Turco.

Hopefully the Flyers' bad defense and goaltending shows up. That game scares me way more than Boston right now, since I'm assuming they'll be playing Turco.

I have to agree. I'm a lot less scared about Boston than Philly. We haven't beaten Philly yet this year (we played 2 close games, and had the one 7-2 blow out). If we continue to buck the trends of this year (i.e. not allowing sweeps to the Rangers and Lightning), then it'll be a great weekend. I just hope this Easter is better than last.

Some have said the Rangers will have nothing to play for, but I can't imagine they'd be too happy about losing the last game of the year to the team they would open the playoffs against. It's a very minor motivation, but it's something.

And the President's Cup will likely still be in doubt -- there's no way the Rangers aren't going to put max effort into winning that.

And the President's Cup will likely still be in doubt -- there's no way the Rangers aren't going to put max effort into winning that.

The President's Cup is a golf trophy. The Presidents' Trophy is what the Rangers have a shot at. ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist. Anyway, I wonder how much that really motivates a team at this point. I would guess it's more of a motivator in January. Right now they have their eyes set squarely on the Cup.

So I'm going to way in on this "don't have anything to play for" stuff.

1. About the only thing a hockey team can do is play the backup goalie. The forwards and Dmen have to play because the roster size demands it.

2. Sure they can cut down ice time for the first line and give more to the third line, but to say teams don't want to play hard and win is nuts. Have you EVER played in a game that you didn't want to win? EVER?

3. These guys have been competing their entire life and they play to win. About the only scenario I can come up with is a "we hate our coach" game. But to think that a team would deliberately not try to win is crazy in my mind. Winning is such a fragile thing. Teams that would tank might lose their mojo. Players, agents, GM and coaches are all watching.

4. I also think teams that get a chance to knock another team out of the playoffs, whether underdogs or not, relish it. If you could ensure OV was on the sideline for the playoffs and you had a chance to do it, you'd take it.

Florida and NY will be gunning for the Caps and Flyers and Boston will be gunning for the Sabres.

Bottom line to get through one more day:

Thursday: Florida must win in reg or OT. Buffalo must win in reg. or OT.

Then:

Buffalo beats Bruins in reg or OT.

I want to be watching the Caps game on Saturday knowing we're already in.

It doesn't really get any simpler than that. We barely beat Toronto with no defense. Boston and Philly will be tall orders if we don't get Myers back.

Bottom line to get through one more day:

Thursday: Florida must win in reg or OT. Buffalo must win in reg. or OT.

Then:

Buffalo beats Bruins in reg or OT.

I want to be watching the Caps game on Saturday knowing we're already in.

Why would you waste your time watching this meaningless game?

The President's Cup is a golf trophy. The Presidents' Trophy is what the Rangers have a shot at. ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist. Anyway, I wonder how much that really motivates a team at this point. I would guess it's more of a motivator in January. Right now they have their eyes set squarely on the Cup.

You shouldn't have resisted. Your favorite team has one. And it is a meaningful trophy.

Archived