GDT: Jets at Sabres 1/07/12 7:00PM

spndnchz

Fortunately, he is not a quitter ... at least it seems he never has up to now.

I'm losing faith fast. I made a push starting a month ago knowing we had a matter of weeks to save this season, and possibly seasons going forward. Instead of just checking into the hospital, this franchise is days or hours away from the ICU.

I don't like seeing the diehardiest of the diehards losing complete faith. My goal was always to wake people up to hold the management and the team accountable. I figured something could have been done in time over the years, or especially now that we have an owner with seemingly unlimited resources. I knew what Quinn and Golisano's agenda was. I know what Darcy is made of. As passionless as some of these players are now, they weren't always that way. Look at how Roy used to scrum for every puck back in 2006 or how Pominville was fiesty enough to get under the skin of a guy like Doug Weight. Gaustad used to stand in front of the net and battle. When you see enthusiasm from new guys year after year, even when it looks as if they have secured a spot, and it falls off of a cliff....it can only be attributed tho the coaching system.

I'm sorry. I would rather be looked at as a bad guy who tried to open the eyes of people when a good majority was punch-drunk than have this all fall apart beyond repair and nobody having any hope. My hope was that there was time to still get it right. We literally have days left to save this thing in my opinion, and all signs remain status quo. I truly can't believe the backing Ted Black continues to show in the shadow of what we can all clearly see on and off the ice now.

What the hell happened to Ken Sawyer? He is on the payroll. He fired Craig Patrick who was 3x the hockeyman Darcy is because it was time to move in a different direction. Sheiro brought in Bylsma to coach even though the Pens had 3x the success than the Sabres have had the past 5 years. Where is that vision now? Is Sawyer just collecting a 6 figure check from parts unknown and calls in once a month for a conference call?

It's too bad. The Time Warner thing is the perfect cure for the transition from addiction to apathy. I'm sorry.

Leino will be fine....with a new coach. I like that he has had the nads to talk out. Not great that he hasn't done jack yet, but if I came from Philly to Ruff's system, I'd be asking WTF as well.

We are so far past the point of no return with Ruff, it is sad. You get a guy in here that wants to take the game to another team and is respected, you will get more out of Lieno, Gaustad, Stafford, Gerbe, Weber, Vanek....and Regehr and McCormick will get their hearts back. It is such a simple solution. You just need a new GM, Coach, and 2 or 3 key leaders. The rest of the talent is there.

I agree that they don't need to turn over 8-10 roster spots, and that there is plenty of talent. I am reserving judgment on the coach/GM. The biggest issue I have right now other than the top 6 is goaltending. Bottom line is that the Sabres have gotten lousy goaltending this year -- and their team is built around Miller. Even with all the injuries and with the top 6 crapping the bed, I think with average goaltending the Sabres are 3-4 wins better, which would put them in the #5-#6 slot in the EC, and with top-5 goaltending, which they ought to be getting for $6MM per year, the Sabres are 5+ wins better, which puts them in the top 3.

It all works together, feeds back on itself and snowballs. The team plays with no heart, their goalie gets run and concussed, they get exposed, the goalie doesn't come back too sharp from the concussion, he resents the fact that his teammates have bailed on him twice in the last few years after he's been cheap-shotted and injured, they probably resent him letting in softies while making the most money on the team, etc., etc.

Things are unhealthy now. They need to change the mix of guys.

Sure...that's been the problem. The longer we let this fester, the worse the infection spreads and kills things off. If they let Darcy and Ruff finish this season out, the long term damage may be so much that it's years to recover and contend. I'm concerned when I see Sunshine and Kittens throwing in the towel. It's past time, and I have no energy to lead a charge anymore. The city has been burning for years and just now people are looking for the hoses. There may be nothing left to save before long. This really sucks. I think it's all too late now. If the fans turn on Pegula, he can check out, out of spite. This is not good.

...but now we're getting carried away.

Leino will be fine....with a new coach. I like that he has had the nads to talk out. Not great that he hasn't done jack yet, but if I came from Philly to Ruff's system, I'd be asking WTF as well.

We are so far past the point of no return with Ruff, it is sad. You get a guy in here that wants to take the game to another team and is respected, you will get more out of Lieno, Gaustad, Stafford, Gerbe, Weber, Vanek....and Regehr and McCormick will get their hearts back. It is such a simple solution. You just need a new GM, Coach, and 2 or 3 key leaders. The rest of the talent is there.

Leino is not the player I would have targeted last offseason. That said, it could still work. I just really have to wonder if his style will ever mesh with the current scheme. I think it's very possible he could be a better than average center if allowed to play in a different system. And, oh yeah, get some wingers that can convert.

I'm losing faith fast. I made a push starting a month ago knowing we had a matter of weeks to save this season, and possibly seasons going forward. Instead of just checking into the hospital, this franchise is days or hours away from the ICU.

I don't like seeing the diehardiest of the diehards losing complete faith. My goal was always to wake people up to hold the management and the team accountable. I figured something could have been done in time over the years, or especially now that we have an owner with seemingly unlimited resources. I knew what Quinn and Golisano's agenda was. I know what Darcy is made of. As passionless as some of these players are now, they weren't always that way. Look at how Roy used to scrum for every puck back in 2006 or how Pominville was fiesty enough to get under the skin of a guy like Doug Weight. Gaustad used to stand in front of the net and battle. When you see enthusiasm from new guys year after year, even when it looks as if they have secured a spot, and it falls off of a cliff....it can only be attributed tho the coaching system.

I'm sorry. I would rather be looked at as a bad guy who tried to open the eyes of people when a good majority was punch-drunk than have this all fall apart beyond repair and nobody having any hope. My hope was that there was time to still get it right. We literally have days left to save this thing in my opinion, and all signs remain status quo. I truly can't believe the backing Ted Black continues to show in the shadow of what we can all clearly see on and off the ice now.

What the hell happened to Ken Sawyer? He is on the payroll. He fired Craig Patrick who was 3x the hockeyman Darcy is because it was time to move in a different direction. Sheiro brought in Bylsma to coach even though the Pens had 3x the success than the Sabres have had the past 5 years. Where is that vision now? Is Sawyer just collecting a 6 figure check from parts unknown and calls in once a month for a conference call?

It's too bad. The Time Warner thing is the perfect cure for the transition from addiction to apathy. I'm sorry.

Don't fret too much. Pegula's mangement style was to start with carrots, not sticks--he's a nice guy. He's been here less than a year, and he will deliberately evaluate everything. But this year seems lost, which is unfortunate but likely necessary. Hopefully that is the step back Pegula needs to see to take more drastic steps to turn this team into something at least watchable. And when changes are made and things hopefully get better, people will be back and happy. But since November and the Bills collapse, there is only so much sh*t people can take. Hope will return when there is cause for hope. It won't be a permanent thing IMO, at least not with me.

Leino hasn't really produced (yet) for the Sabres, but I would bet if he was given the ice time and the linemates that Stafford has been given all year, his production would be higher than Stafford's

He's waiting until the final year on his current contract.

Can't you like poison the food of opposing teams ? I'm not saying you have to kill them, just make them sick enough to lose :D

lol - that may be our only chance of winning the Cup in the near future...or of making the playoffs.

Jets will be up 3-1 in the third with an empty netter to make it 4-1. I have ZERO faith in them to come out and take this game to Winnipeg. I see another lazy,9 hit game where we get 4 shots on goal in the first period.

Crap, does this mean I am officially part of Team Stormcloud?

Haha! But no. I just happen to work in the same building as the hotel where most teams stay. I usually run into opposing players on the morning of the game, actually. So yesterday, when I left work at about 4, there was a group of dudes decked out in Thrashers gear awaiting the Jets' bus, and the hotel was prepared for the bus (it puts out snacks for the players, envelopes w/ room keys, etc.).

Embassy suites? The Maple Leafs stayed on the same floor as me and my wife when we were in buffalo.

Archived