Passion/Energy

RazielSabre

Too bad PA isn't around. I was at the New Year's Eve game, and there was plenty of crowd energy at that one, but it also was a little more festive for reasons other than the on-ice product.

Other than that, the last couple of games have seemed rather dull and quiet. The big win against Washington is the last time I can remember the building rockin', other than 12/31.

PA was just a year too early with that criticism! (But is it properly a criticism of the fans or of the team for failing to excite us?)

(EDIT: Thanksgiving eve rematch against Boston was rockin', too. But that was three days before the DC game, anyway.)

Most of the players interviews they blame the team for not being exciting to start out with.

Leino added that the in game production was bad.

Lieno also added that the team doesn't hit or fight....and in Philly they would do so and the fans were a lot more vocal. He said everyone doesn't need to fight, but there is no excuse from peeling away from hits or not hitting more.

Leino should worry about his on ice production

Hey, in the Snooze article this morning, Leino actually talked about how hitting more would get the fans excited. He actually talked about it.

I'm psyched!

GO SABRES!!!

Hey, in the Snooze article this morning, Leino actually talked about how hitting more would get the fans excited. He actually talked about it.

I'm psyched!

GO SABRES!!!

Oh snap, the Sabres talking about things they should do.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

#### Leino! I'm sick of him already, and it's only year 1!

Let it all out...but In the I'm an idiot thread :nana:

I'm still kind of just 'meh' about him though honestly. He hasn't done anything special yet, but he's not the biggest liability or the laziest of our forwards (SEE: Stafford, Drew; #21)

Let it all out...but In the I'm an idiot thread :nana:

I'm still kind of just 'meh' about him though honestly. He hasn't done anything special yet, but he's not the biggest liability or the laziest of our forwards (SEE: Stafford, Drew; #21)

I think we he was a panic 'buy'. His reached the 50 point mark once and thats it and we are spending $6mill a season for it (if I'm not mistaken). Regier needed to get a forward to keep his job so he went for Leino as the safer bet than Richards. imho.

I think we he was a panic 'buy'. His reached the 50 point mark once and thats it and we are spending $6mill a season for it (if I'm not mistaken). Regier needed to get a forward to keep his job so he went for Leino as the safer bet than Richards. imho.

We never had a shot on Richards, plain and simple, and that became quite clear on 7/1/11 when ANY and EVERY offer was going to be brought to the Rangers so they could match. HE only wanted to go there, no doubt, so why bother driving up the price to a ludicrous amount?

I wouldn't say panic buy, I'd say it was more of an experiment of "we see potential, can we cultivate it?"

Leino's 4.5 million.

And don't go giving me any ###### about oh he gets 11 million this year and 12 next.

Welcome to the 2012 NHL.

It's a 4.5 cap hit.

Leino's 4.5 million.

And don't go giving me any ###### about oh he gets 11 million this year and 12 next.

Welcome to the 2012 NHL.

It's a 4.5 cap hit.

the 2011-2012 nhl, to be sure -- but quite possibly not the 2012-2013 nhl.

in any event, i don't agree that a player's cap hit is the be-all-end-all of the conversation. everyone associated with the team - from owner to the player being paid - is keenly aware of what the real cash flow is. it's a relevant part of the conversation.

in any event, i don't agree that a player's cap hit is the be-all-end-all of the conversation. everyone associated with the team - from owner to the player being paid - is keenly aware of what the real cash flow is. it's a relevant part of the conversation.

I have to disagree on that one if you have a flush owner. The only number that matters to the league and (IMHO) should matter to us is how much that player counts towards the cap, since it's the only constricted resource we have to worry about.

I have to disagree on that one if you have a flush owner. The only number that matters to the league and (IMHO) should matter to us is how much that player counts towards the cap, since it's the only constricted resource we have to worry about.

This.

While we're all interessted in cash flow and team viability, cap hit is what counts as far as keeping and building the players on the team under the rules.

We never had a shot on Richards, plain and simple, and that became quite clear on 7/1/11 when ANY and EVERY offer was going to be brought to the Rangers so they could match. HE only wanted to go there, no doubt, so why bother driving up the price to a ludicrous amount?

I wouldn't say panic buy, I'd say it was more of an experiment of "we see potential, can we cultivate it?"

I see what you mean but it was an expensive risk but I think my point was that a lot of people thought he was the answer to our prayers so he gets (unnecessary imho) stick or underperforming. He should have been brought in to add depth up front but he was sold to us with the impression that he was a true, top line, centre. Ruff and Regier have to take some of the blame on that one.

Leino's 4.5 million.

Welcome to the 2012 NHL.

It's a 4.5 cap hit.

Err I dont remember giving a monkeys about what his 'actually' on. :blink:. My mistake with the cap hit.

I disagree. Even a flush owner has a limit. The upfront money given to Ehrhoff and Leino is money not available for the next guy to come around. You don't really think Pegs is going to just throw cash around at every chance, do you?

Think of that bonus and upfront money as opportunity cost. Signing the guys already signed limits opportunity down the road.

I see what you mean but it was an expensive risk but I think my point was that a lot of people thought he was the answer to our prayers so he gets (unnecessary imho) stick or underperforming. He should have been brought in to add depth up front but he was sold to us with the impression that he was a true, top line, centre. Ruff and Regier have to take some of the blame on that one.

Err I dont remember giving a monkeys about what his 'actually' on. :blink:. My mistake with the cap hit.

That wasn't a dig on you necessarily.

I disagree. Even a flush owner has a limit. The upfront money given to Ehrhoff and Leino is money not available for the next guy to come around. You don't really think Pegs is going to just throw cash around at every chance, do you?

Think of that bonus and upfront money as opportunity cost. Signing the guys already signed limits opportunity down the road.

Yes. I do. Hasn't shown me otherwise.

I think that the style of play is the main reason the FN' arena is library quiet. Think of all the gritty teams we became accustomed to seeing over the years. I mean when Barnaby, May, and Ray came on the ice, the crowd went nuts before the puck dropped. While the Buff is changing, it is still a blue collar town and don't want to see boring hockey, which Ruff has implemented. Many people will say fighting should be taken out of the league, but it in and of itself is a form of entertainment. This team over the last several years is filled with smallish, perimeter guys that will avoid any sort of contact whenever possible. We've become the Devils in their Cup years minus the goaltending and scoring

I disagree. Even a flush owner has a limit. The upfront money given to Ehrhoff and Leino is money not available for the next guy to come around. You don't really think Pegs is going to just throw cash around at every chance, do you? Think of that bonus and upfront money as opportunity cost. Signing the guys already signed limits opportunity down the road.

Fair point there.

I'm with her on this one. Maybe somewhere down the road cash out-flow becomes an issue, but so far we haven't seen it.

That wasn't a dig on you necessarily.

He didn't become a billionaire by throwing money around. He does intend to make the most of this. His not just a fan with enough money to buy a team. He'll only invest if he knows his gonna get a return. Right now his seen investment with no return, why should he invest more?

No worries, didnt think it was just seemed like a bizarre response, heh.

I think that the style of play is the main reason the FN' arena is library quiet. Think of all the gritty teams we became accustomed to seeing over the years. I mean when Barnaby, May, and Ray came on the ice, the crowd went nuts before the puck dropped. While the Buff is changing, it is still a blue collar town and don't want to see boring hockey, which Ruff has implemented. Many people will say fighting should be taken out of the league, but it in and of itself is a form of entertainment. This team over the last several years is filled with smallish, perimeter guys that will avoid any sort of contact whenever possible. We've become the Devils in their Cup years minus the goaltending and scoring

Post-lockout NHL is far less suited for the blue-collar hockey though. But then again the most popular thing about the sabres is the 'french connection' and everyone remembers Drury and Briere fondly as well so maybe it's not all that.

Buffalo residents answer me this: The more I think about it the more I think people are sick of seeing Ruff and Regier lead this team with its slow starts and fast finishes. Would a management and coaching change ALONE spark enough response?

He didn't become a billionaire by throwing money around. He does intend to make the most of this. His not just a fan with enough money to buy a team. He'll only invest if he knows his gonna get a return. Right now his seen investment with no return, why should he invest more?

No worries, didnt think it was just seemed like a bizarre response, heh.

Post-lockout NHL is far less suited for the blue-collar hockey though. But then again the most popular thing about the sabres is the 'french connection' and everyone remembers Drury and Briere fondly as well so maybe it's not all that.

Buffalo residents answer me this: The more I think about it the more I think people are sick of seeing Ruff and Regier lead this team with its slow starts and fast finishes. Would a management and coaching change ALONE spark enough response?

If you mean would fans cheer at the beginning of the game after LR/Dr firing? No they wouldn't. They'd still need to see the on ice product.

totally agree... all i'm saying is that there isn't the same amount of energy in the building with the softies that we've become accustomed to seeing

Except when it comes time to evaluate the GM who has a tool at his disposal in upfront cash that very few others do to lure top free agents, yet even in having that resource and spending #1/30 in player salary this year, has the team at #23/30 in the standings.

I think that is fair to bring up.

Archived