Passion/Energy

RazielSabre

Is it just me or has the entire team AND building lacked the passion and buzz of previous seasons? Even during the days of October, when we were doing pretty well there seemed to be a lack of passion other than 'Adam/Van/Pom are great'.

Could it be people have less interest in getting behind their team now we're expected to win? Or is everyone just bored of the management team staying the same? Or did the Bills early success hurt the Sabres (I'm really in no position to comment on that one)?

Just throwing it out there.

Is it just me or has the entire team AND building lacked the passion and buzz of previous seasons? Even during the days of October, when we were doing pretty well there seemed to be a lack of passion other than 'Adam/Van/Pom are great'.

Could it be people have less interest in getting behind their team now we're expected to win? Or is everyone just bored of the management team staying the same? Or did the Bills early success hurt the Sabres (I'm really in no position to comment on that one)?

Just throwing it out there.

Very simply...

No scoring + no offensive flair + no hitting + no fighting + no winning = NO ATMOSPHERE

Very simply...

No scoring + no offensive flair + no hitting + no fighting + no winning = NO ATMOSPHERE

It really is that simple. I asked somebody at the last game I went to why he wouldn't join in on the "LET'S GO BUFFALO" chants, and he told me there was nothing to cheer for, and that he wanted a product worth cheering for.

I wanted to ask why bother coming, but I didn't really want to get into it with him.

This season has definitely been a let down so far. I think many of us expected better results of the Pegula era especially after all the offseason moves (trading for Regehr and signing Ehrhoff and Leino). With the exception of some of the callups like Kassian and McNabb though, this team seems to lack any sort of heart and it has definitely rubbed off on the fans. I personally was more excited for games in 2007 after we lost 48 and 23 than I am now and that team was a mess.

Maybe all the injuries are taking a toll, but no matter how you slice it, this team needs a definite shake up, whether it's coaching or saying good bye to a member or two of the core.

This season has definitely been a let down so far. I think many of us expected better results of the Pegula era especially after all the offseason moves (trading for Regehr and signing Ehrhoff and Leino). With the exception of some of the callups like Kassian and McNabb though, this team seems to lack any sort of heart and it has definitely rubbed off on the fans. I personally was more excited for games in 2007 after we lost 48 and 23 than I am now and that team was a mess. Maybe all the injuries are taking a toll, but no matter how you slice it, this team needs a definite shake up, whether it's coaching or saying good bye to a member or two of the core.

Agreed, but it's nothing that a good old fashioned pillaging campaign complete with raping and baby eating here on Friday night can't solve!!!

October was a pretty good month and things were still dead though.

IMO, it is as simple as going to see the same movie over and over again. You know how it ends. It's like watching the Godfather. You enjoy the movie, but the excitement isn't as high as the first few times you saw it. What the Sabres need to do is change the script. Imaging sitting home one Sunday afternoon watching the Godfather and suddenly Sonny walks away from the toll booth attack unharmed. That would get you up and off of your couch. That would create interest.

October was a pretty good month and things were still dead though.

Absolutely. Prior to the Lucic game (which I'm convinced affected the team in equal measure with the injuries), the Sabres had a league-best 12-7 record (ignoring the retardo loser point). Call it foresight, call it pessimism, but many fans weren't excited. I was somewhere in the middle...glad they were winning but wary over several factors.

1. Miller just didn't look like the same guy.

2. Nobody except Pominville and Vanek were producing.

3. The offseason pickups' play ranged from average to disappointing to :wallbash:

The team peaked in the season's first 2 weeks. At 4-1, we were tossing around the word "elite", but they were playing great hockey any way you slice it. Then they started playing undeniably average hockey, but kept their heads above water with wins against bad teams. Then they started playing TERRIBLE hockey. Terrible like 6-14 over the last 20. That's an entire quarter of the season on par with the frickin Islanders.

Very simply...

Found bold have we? ;). J/k.

Is this season less exciting that ones previous in general (thinking back to the trap debate earlier in the season, the fact that less goals have been scored this season than any other, etc)? Asking for opinions here, and it may be a slightly different point but on the same sort of lines.

Absolutely. Prior to the Lucic game (which I'm convinced affected the team in equal measure with the injuries), the Sabres had a league-best 12-7 record (ignoring the retardo loser point). Call it foresight, call it pessimism, but many fans weren't excited. I was somewhere in the middle...glad they were winning but wary over several factors.

1. Miller just didn't look like the same guy.

2. Nobody except Pominville and Vanek were producing.

3. The offseason pickups' play ranged from average to disappointing to :wallbash:

The team peaked in the season's first 2 weeks. At 4-1, we were tossing around the word "elite", but they were playing great hockey any way you slice it. Then they started playing undeniably average hockey, but kept their heads above water with wins against bad teams. Then they started playing TERRIBLE hockey. Terrible like 6-14 over the last 20. That's an entire quarter of the season on par with the frickin Islanders.

Valid points, I can relate to those looking back.

IMO, it is as simple as going to see the same movie over and over again. You know how it ends. It's like watching the Godfather. You enjoy the movie, but the excitement isn't as high as the first few times you saw it. What the Sabres need to do is change the script. Imaging sitting home one Sunday afternoon watching the Godfather and suddenly Sonny walks away from the toll booth attack unharmed. That would get you up and off of your couch. That would create interest.

Lmao. Interesting use of the Godfather. I suspect we'll explode after the all star break as we seem to normally. Be interesting to see if things remain quiet in the FNC though, if it does it might just push a change.

Makes me think: How the HELL are Columbus putting up with it!

I was at the game in C-bus last year (last game of the season, playoff spot clinched the night before) and the Sabres fans there were louder and more involved than you seem to see@ FNC. I haven't been to a game in Buffalo since '08, but even then the atmosphere was one of sitting on your hands and waiting for something to happen... I'm not sure when that started, but it seems to me it's been going on for years now...

A for the Blue Jackets... I'd hate to be in tha building when it's not filled with the other team's fans...

Terry needs to take Darcy and Lindy fishing.........

I think a lot of the atmosphere boils down to the fact that Buffalo fans are very tempered in their excitement. it's a city defined, in sports, by failed expectations. The fans themselves are great and I think they want to be wild but they've grown tired of being stood up at the altar.

Why are people at the game then? Well, if you love hockey why not go if you can afford it? I would be at every Amerks game if I could possibly fit such a thing in my schedule. I wanted to buy season tickets but life is just too busy to make that a reality. Living in Rochester makes it more difficult to get the Sabres games on a consistent basis, well that and they are more expensive. I still try to get to at least one a year (this year appears to be the 2/8 game against Boston!) People buy season tickets.. a lot of them in Buffalo and so you already have the tickets you might as well go or at least sell them to someone who will.

The big question will be what happens to season ticket sales before next season.. if those decline the nights of a full building may be in danger.

It's going to take the Sabres being putting up a winning percentage of at least .700 before I think fans begin to wholeheartedly buy in.

Of course, if I was going to the game.. why not cheer? What could it hurt? That I can't answer.

With the exception of some of the callups like Kassian and McNabb though, this team seems to lack any sort of heart and it has definitely rubbed off on the fans.

i like some of what we have seen from kassian, but, at the risk of beating an already dead horse, where is the guy's hitting and physical play? he appears physically ready and capable of playing that game, but doesn't.

well done - i love it when a metaphor comes together.

they've grown tired of being stood up at the altar.

another good one.

It's going to take the Sabres being putting up a winning percentage of at least .700 before I think fans begin to wholeheartedly buy in.

i think there's more than one way to skin that cat. to my mind, a sea change in team culture and identity would be equally, if not more, effective.

Very simply...

This is it. Last night they turned the volume way up and tried to produce atmosphere. It didn't work. Lindy is at fault for me a lot at the game last night. His choice of personel to close out periods, too many men on the ice etc.

If youo were at the game last night what the hell did they give you to cheer for the first ten or eleven minutes when we were outshot 12 - 2 or something? That really sets the tone in the building for the evening.

I support this metaphor. :thumbsup:

I think a lot of the atmosphere boils down to the fact that Buffalo fans are very tempered in their excitement. it's a city defined, in sports, by failed expectations. The fans themselves are great and I think they want to be wild but they've grown tired of being stood up at the altar.

Why are people at the game then? Well, if you love hockey why not go if you can afford it? I would be at every Amerks game if I could possibly fit such a thing in my schedule. I wanted to buy season tickets but life is just too busy to make that a reality. Living in Rochester makes it more difficult to get the Sabres games on a consistent basis, well that and they are more expensive. I still try to get to at least one a year (this year appears to be the 2/8 game against Boston!) People buy season tickets.. a lot of them in Buffalo and so you already have the tickets you might as well go or at least sell them to someone who will.

The big question will be what happens to season ticket sales before next season.. if those decline the nights of a full building may be in danger.

Of course, if I was going to the game.. why not cheer? What could it hurt? That I can't answer.

Great post. That wedding analogy is excellent.

As far as the not cheering, who wants to lose their voice screaming at a team that is lazing its way around the ice? I certainly don't. I'm not sure if you've ever been to an RIT hockey game (since you're a Rochester resident) but those games have good atmosphere and I've lost my voice more than enough times at them. The difference is that the product has more heart. You WANT to cheer for them.

I'll be at the Sabres game on Saturday. I'm going in there fully expecting to cheer the whole time. But if they come out flat it's going to kill the energy in that building and it's going to kill the energy in me. And there's no coming back from that.

Or just stays quiet during the Sollozzo meeting!!

As far as the not cheering, who wants to lose their voice screaming at a team that is lazing its way around the ice? I certainly don't. I'm not sure if you've ever been to an RIT hockey game (since you're a Rochester resident) but those games have good atmosphere and I've lost my voice more than enough times at them. The difference is that the product has more heart. You WANT to cheer for them.

I'll be at the Sabres game on Saturday. I'm going in there fully expecting to cheer the whole time. But if they come out flat it's going to kill the energy in that building and it's going to kill the energy in me. And there's no coming back from that.

I'll be there Saturday as well. I'm 1) excited to see Winnipeg (like meeting the new kid on the block) and 2) I'm also fully expecting to cheer the whole time.

i like some of what we have seen from kassian, but, at the risk of beating an already dead horse, where is the guy's hitting and physical play? he appears physically ready and capable of playing that game, but doesn't.

well done - i love it when a metaphor comes together.

another good one.

i think there's more than one way to skin that cat. to my mind, a sea change in team culture and identity would be equally, if not more, effective.

The sea of change would spark a short term rise in excitement. Remember when Steve Bernier arrived at the trade deadline and scored two goals in his first game? Yea.. the excitement didn't last, You could bring in the NY Rangers in their entirety but if they went on a 6 game losing streak the Buffalo fan would find a way to blame the laser-leveling zambonis for the sudden bad play. Or.. they would just say.. "Oh no, not again."

My only comments about RIT:

"You suck, eh?"

"It's all your fault, It's all your fault, It's all your fault."

Okay, I lied. After every opposition goal the RIT fans begin chanting for RIT... you're never going to get that at a Sabres game. They may chant something else but I'll refrain from stating the words for the fear of summoning Cthulu or some other dark underworld god.

The sea of change would spark a short term rise in excitement. Remember when Steve Bernier arrived at the trade deadline and scored two goals in his first game? Yea.. the excitement didn't last, You could bring in the NY Rangers in their entirety but if they went on a 6 game losing streak the Buffalo fan would find a way to blame the laser-leveling zambonis for the sudden bad play. Or.. they would just say.. "Oh no, not again."

My only comments about RIT:

"You suck, eh?"

"It's all your fault, It's all your fault, It's all your fault."

Okay, I lied. After every opposition goal the RIT fans begin chanting for RIT... you're never going to get that at a Sabres game. They may chant something else but I'll refrain from stating the words for the fear of summoning Cthulu or some other dark underworld god.

:lol:

I'll be perfectly honest, I don't like the RIT after we get scored on, but it has its merits and I don't think it's going anywhere for a while. We have a running joke in my circle that we count imaginary goals against every time there is an RIT cheer now. We lose a lot of imaginary games ;)

We used to have more cheers but the new kids don't know em and everyone is too afraid of the NCAA to do our dirty ones. I miss the old days :(

Very simply...

Pretty much. The Sabres have second least goals in the East, only ahead of the Islanders who have 88. When a team fails under high expectations, it's hard to get overly excited over little things. There is no moral victories. We have a powerful owner, who spend to the cap, added big free agents, and regained all our players from a somewhat success team from last year. Last night's win vs. Edmonton, to me was pathetic. It was a game we should have won easily because Oilers just played in a warzone the night before in Chicago, we were on home ice, we NEEDED the 2 points desperately and we came out flat. We should of taken it to them and never looked back. Like good teams do. We didn't separate ourselves until the third period. Tied after 40 minutes of a must-win January game? No heart, no desire, and no pulse from this team.

Bulin-wall should have been peppered like theres no tomorrow yet he was pretty much uncontested after 40 minutes.

So, even when we win, it doesn't feel right.

:lol:

I'll be perfectly honest, I don't like the RIT after we get scored on, but it has its merits and I don't think it's going anywhere for a while. We have a running joke in my circle that we count imaginary goals against every time there is an RIT cheer now. We lose a lot of imaginary games ;)

We used to have more cheers but the new kids don't know em and everyone is too afraid of the NCAA to do our dirty ones. I miss the old days :(

I hear ya buddy! I've only been to 3 games this year (I know, horrible for an alum), but I'm going to the next two home games. The excitement at an RIT game, and the standing the whole time in the corner is just such a thrill, I love it. I've brought plenty of guests to games, and they say it is the most fun at a hockey game they have ever had.

Hopefully there is something inspiring about the Sabres play over the next few weeks

Archived