Stafford needs to go

Eleven

The Fourth Period: The Kings tried trading for a 2nd line winger at the deadline but came up empty. They made calls on Drew Stafford, Jason Pominville and Curtis Glencross. The Kings wouldn’t give up the top prospects and high draft picks for Glencross. Source said that they would trade Tyler Toffoli, but not for a rental.

We were close :D

Currently at -11, I'm not sure the same argument could be made for Stafford. LOL

Update - while his points remain unchanged - 5 goals and 8 assists for 13 - now after 36 games played (he is on the OFFENSE, right, not defense? Just checking) his plus/minus has fallen to -12. Another interesting stat - his Productivity is a DISMAL 75 minutes in games the Sabres won, but 38 minutes in games the Sabres lost. Guess the only time he can actually score goals or make an assist is when the other team has gone into the equivalent of the "Prevent Defense" ?

It's a good thing Regier didn't do a "B" grade deal this week to get rid of him - the Sabres couldn't afford to lose this kind of firepower! That would be too much activity for Regier in one week, AND Regier always holds out for A+ deals, outrageously stacked in favor of the Sabres, instead of conceding more just to get rid of a player and try to actually improve the team. He's like the Passive-Aggressive hockey GM. :rolleyes:

Edited by Jsixspd

Bump.

Hard to believe this thread was started way back in 2011 and here we are still watching Stafford not playing well. What the heck does Rolston see in his play that justifies him being on the ice?

Stafford must be deadly accurate with a firearm because just about every shot he telegraphs on goal hits the goalie center mass. I was just shaking my head watching him play last night against Winnipeg. Isn't there another rookie we can call up to fill his spot, or put Adam in for him.

Anything that gets him off the ice is addition by subtraction in my book.

Stafford played well last night. He was trying and everything. Everyone will hate on his play unless he's scoring, which is fine, but get's old.

I haven't been watching the games too closely, but that's the impression I've gotten as well. I've noticed Stafford making the effort to back check, to throw checks, and generally look like a hockey player. Yeah, everyone is going to focus on the blown coverage on the second goal, but I don't think Staff has been playing that badly, other than not putting the puck in the net.

Same with Myers, for that matter. His effort is there and he is being more physical. Seems like both those guys are prone to a few glaring errors though, which gets them a lot of the negative press.

Stafford played well last night. He was trying and everything. Everyone will hate on his play unless he's scoring, which is fine, but get's old.

He's paid 4 million bucks a season to what? Score. Nuff said.

Well, not quite enough said ..........

HE NEEDS TO GO!!

Actually, he should have went already.

Stafford hasn't had a point since March 28th, and his plus minus, which was already bad enough at -12 before the weekend, is now a terrible -16! I think he and Myers are having a contest to see who can have the worst plus minus this year.

http://espn.go.com/n...7/drew-stafford

And..... his productivity - almost 50 minutes of ice time between points - that is squalid! This guy has been a problem for years - but our idiot-savant GM, 17 Year Regier, is apparently planning long term for a cup run in 2048, so there's no hurry to get rid of this dead wood. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Edited by Jsixspd

It's not scoring, it's lack of effort, for me, and I did notice effort the first 5-10 games of the year. I didn't particularly notice him for the one period I watched on Tuesday. Maybe I'll pay attention to him tonight.

But right now, he's auditioning for whoever may pick him up this summer after the buyout, and I'm skeptical of that, too. Just as I was when he had one good year--which happened to be a contract year. This, essentially, is a contract year for him right now.

Agent Smith never half-assed it though.

(Damn, that first Matrix movie was awesome.)

No, but his movies were F'n terrible after the first, the third one in particular. So in a way he does mimic Stafford's career: 30 goals in 60 games, awesome! Up and down but still 50 points, not terrible. 2013, dumpster fire.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

He seems like a very nice guy, I'll give him that. I don't know about cute. I'll let Chz, bio, NS, and others rate that situation.

OK, 11. Why am I lumped in with those other two? :flirt:

He's a nice guy but yeah, no.

I'm with you Chz. Seems nice enough. Fun guy, with that whole quitar thing going on. But, yeah ... yuck. He's no Christiano Ronaldo.

OK, 11. Why am I lumped in with those other two? :flirt:

I'm with you Chz. Seems nice enough. Fun guy, with that whole quitar thing going on. But, yeah ... yuck. He's no Christiano Ronaldo.

I think you answered your own question there. Not that there's anything wrong with that. You Can Post.

Apparently I was confused. Something in your sig, maybe, had something to do with it.

Not that I cared either way, anyway; I do apologize if you were offended, though.

It's all good, 11. Not offended at all. My reply to your post was in jest. Please see some recent posts in other threads this morning, if you are so inclined.

Although, why would a quote from The Clash guys make you think something like that? :P

Maybe you mean the quote from Freddie?

Stafford's record GM G A P

2006–07 Buffalo Sabres NHL 41 13 14 27

2007–08 Buffalo Sabres NHL 64 16 22 38

2008–09 Buffalo Sabres NHL 79 20 25 45

2009–10 Buffalo Sabres NHL 71 14 20 34

2010–11 Buffalo Sabres NHL 62 31 21 52 34

2011–12 Buffalo Sabres NHL 80 20 30 50 46

I moved the quote to respond in the appropriate thread.

These numbers are a reflection of a talented player with with motivational issues. His most productive season came in his contract year. The other seasons pretty much mirror each other. Stafford would show some signs of great talent by going on a decent hot streak to pad his numbers mixed in with stretches of games where he completely disappears. I have thought for a while now that Stafford plays the game of hockey because of his natural talent and not for an love of the game. What we can be seeing right now from Stafford is that he has banked enough cash where the game of hockey is no longer a priority. He is going through the motions.

Trade Stafford for anything. Just get him off the team. Total wste of cap space and a bad example of what is tolerated around here.

Exactly.

Stafford is a poster boy for an attitude that's been allowed in the organisation for way too long - "Why bother working hard, I'll still get top minutes and sign one fat contract after another. Winning? Sure it's fun, but others need to do the heavy lifting, I'm too talented for that".