Stafford needs to go

Eleven

I'm going to take a page out of your book here, and say it's in large part because they're asking him to do things which don't come naturally. His instincts are offensive--carrying the puck up ice, joining/leading the rush, and so on. They're asking him to be a stay at home defender and primarily be concerned with his D-zone play. Let him free-wheel out there and let him be who he is, not who we hope he develops into.

Another way to look at the "out of shape" thing is every offseason since he's been here, they've asked him to bulk up and put on weight in the offseason. And each subsequent season he starts slowly and seems to pick it up later in the year once he's played off the weight. He has trouble putting weight on and keeping it there, yet when the weight is there he seems to struggle and he seems to pick up his play when the weight comes off. Maybe they're approaching his entire conditioning problem the wrong way, and he should play at his natural weight? Just a thought.

He can't put on big weight, much like Miller. Lindy never understood that Miller couldn't log the big ice time without shriveling up by the end of the year. Miller CAN be a top 5 goalie if he plays 60 games a year so he can be somewhat fresh for the playoff grind. Myers is a physical freak and you can't treat him normal. There is a horse in the barn that is so tall.....that he has to go to 5th position in ballet to bend over and graze. Nobody had seen that before and it freaked the heck out of everyone because it puts stress on the suspensory ligaments. They do different stretching drills with him than the normal horse and luckily he is smart so he takes care of himself. I have not been impressed with the Sabres training staff over the years as far as individual development. We just seem way too cookie cutter in fitness and display on the ice. Maybe all of my bitching about Ruff not developing power forwards has a bit to do with this. I don't know.....but I'm getting more and more confident that Myers is not going to have the lightbulb turn on while here.

I'm going to take a page out of your book here, and say it's in large part because they're asking him to do things which don't come naturally. His instincts are offensive--carrying the puck up ice, joining/leading the rush, and so on. They're asking him to be a stay at home defender and primarily be concerned with his D-zone play. Let him free-wheel out there and let him be who he is, not who we hope he develops into.

Another way to look at the "out of shape" thing is every offseason since he's been here, they've asked him to bulk up and put on weight in the offseason. And each subsequent season he starts slowly and seems to pick it up later in the year once he's played off the weight. He has trouble putting weight on and keeping it there, yet when the weight is there he seems to struggle and he seems to pick up his play when the weight comes off. Maybe they're approaching his entire conditioning problem the wrong way, and he should play at his natural weight? Just a thought.

He can't put on big weight, much like Miller. Lindy never understood that Miller couldn't log the big ice time without shriveling up by the end of the year. Miller CAN be a top 5 goalie if he plays 60 games a year so he can be somewhat fresh for the playoff grind. Myers is a physical freak and you can't treat him normal. There is a horse in the barn that is so tall.....that he has to go to 5th position in ballet to bend over and graze. Nobody had seen that before and it freaked the heck out of everyone because it puts stress on the suspensory ligaments. They do different stretching drills with him than the normal horse and luckily he is smart so he takes care of himself. I have not been impressed with the Sabres training staff over the years as far as individual development. We just seem way too cookie cutter in fitness and display on the ice. Maybe all of my bitching about Ruff not developing power forwards has a bit to do with this. I don't know.....but I'm getting more and more confident that Myers is not going to have the lightbulb turn on while here.

I submit to you..

Myers 6-8 222lbs

Sustr 6-8 225

Bren 6-7 224

Gill 6-7 244

Pronger 6-6 220

Oleksiak 6-7 241

Hedman 6-6 220

Schultz 6-6 221

Aulie 6-6 217

All NHL defenseman. Beside freak of nature Chara at 6"9" and 255lbs Myers is right in there with the rest of them. it would be nice for him to gain some meat and be able to handle it but it's not like he's 6-8 and 190lbs.

I submit to you..

Myers 6-8 222lbs

Sustr 6-8 225

Bren 6-7 224

Gill 6-7 244

Pronger 6-6 220

Oleksiak 6-7 241

Hedman 6-6 220

Schultz 6-6 221

Aulie 6-6 217

All NHL defenseman. Beside freak of nature Chara at 6"9" and 255lbs Myers is right in there with the rest of them. it would be nice for him to gain some meat and be able to handle it but it's not like he's 6-8 and 190lbs.

It would be interesting to know his true measurements. He was 6'7" and 202 coming in. And the difference in each inch as you get over 6 feet is an extra 6-7 pounds per inch to support. Myers, if he was built like Leopold who is probably the perfect build for an athlete at defense believe it or not.....should probably be in the 235lb area.

He has been awkward no matter what the deal is....confidence, endurance, training, limbs, etc. He's just such a special case that you sunk a $10 million bonus into that I would bring in a half dozen consultants just to see if you can get him right.

<p>Darcy Regier is just unbelievable! He lets Stafford and his $4M salary sit on the benches, but

he passes on Jussi Jokinen with his $3M. Why didn't he claim Jokinen and then trade Stafford

(sending Flynn back to the AHL if necessary to make roster space until the deals go down)?!?

Why not pick up Daugavins either? He's another Latvian; perhaps he could help Girgensons?

No. Instead we have a do nothing GM who's in the process off letting his free agents walk for

nothing just as I predicted at the beginning of the season. Let's face it, if the Sabres are

losing to Tampa Bay, how can they consider themselves up to facing Pittsburgh and Chicago in

the play-offs?

It's plain to see that the Sabres core want it easy. They slack off until the trade deadline approaches,then they put it all together to convince Darcy that he should keep them. How many cycles of this musthappen before Darcy gets a clue?

The answer is simple, trade away the dead weight and "Stop Winnin' for MacKinnon".

Edited by etiennep99

It would be interesting to know his true measurements. He was 6'7" and 202 coming in. And the difference in each inch as you get over 6 feet is an extra 6-7 pounds per inch to support. Myers, if he was built like Leopold who is probably the perfect build for an athlete at defense believe it or not.....should probably be in the 235lb area.

He has been awkward no matter what the deal is....confidence, endurance, training, limbs, etc. He's just such a special case that you sunk a $10 million bonus into that I would bring in a half dozen consultants just to see if you can get him right.

He's gone from

6-6 and 211 to

6-7 and 204 when we drafted him to

6-7 and 211 to

6-8 and 222 to

6-8 and 227

they haven't updated these for 2012-13 for anyone on the team.

He is awkward but I don't think it's a product of height/weight.

And just to keep the thread on track... trade Stafford!!!!

<p>Darcy Regier is just unbelievable! He lets Stafford and his $4M salary sit on the benches, but

he passes on Jussi Jokinen with his $3M. Why didn't he claim Jokinen and then trade Stafford

(sending Flynn back to the AHL if necessary to make roster space until the deals go down)?!?

Why not pick up Daugavins either? He's another Latvian; perhaps he could help Girgensons?

No. Instead we have a do nothing GM who's in the process off letting his free agents walk for

nothing just as I predicted at the beginning of the season. Let's face it, if the Sabres are

losing to Tampa Bay, how can they consider themselves up to facing Pittsburgh and Chicago in

the play-offs?

It's plain to see that the Sabres core want it easy. They slack off until the trade deadline approaches,then they put it all together to convince Darcy that he should keep them. How many cycles of this musthappen before Darcy gets a clue?

The answer is simple, trade away the dead weight and "Stop Winnin' for MacKinnon".

Right, these team has numerous problems so let's try to fix it with other teams' problems. Jokinen was in such high demand that nobody picked him up. Even the Panthers who are down 8 guys.

Who are these free agents that Darcy is letting walk?

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Right, these team has numerous problems so let's try to fix it with other teams' problems. Jokinen was in such high demand that nobody picked him up. Even the Panthers who are down 8 guys.

Hecht :unsure:

Black Sunday #neverforget

Could we rephrase peak value to, prime of career in the muddle of a contract? Darcy seems to trade very young guys (Kassian, Byron, Butler, and thr like) and outgoing contacts (Campbell, goose, etc.) But never 26-30 year olds with a few years left on thr books.

Could someone have the intern pull the data?

May and Gratton immediately spring to mind. I'd have to look it up, but I don't believe either were in the last year of their contract when they were traded. There's a few others that were traded for good value that haven't been mentioned yet (Grosek and Barnaby immediately come to mind as well).

May and Gratton immediately spring to mind. I'd have to look it up, but I don't believe either were in the last year of their contract when they were traded. There's a few others that were traded for good value that haven't been mentioned yet (Grosek and Barnaby immediately come to mind as well).

Plante

Gratton only had 1 year left (03-04) He was an FA coming out of the lockout.

Plante

So 2 guys, both during his first 2 years as GM. any from the last decade?

Stuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu (Barnes)?

Roy? One year left, I think.

Barnes was 33.

Gratton only had 1 year left (03-04) He was an FA coming out of the lockout.

So 2 guys, both during his first 2 years as GM. any from the last decade?

Barnes was 33.

Dunno. I'm not really interested in defending DR here. I was just kind of playing Sabres trivia.

Dunno. I'm not really interested in defending DR here. I was just kind of playing Sabres trivia.

Oh, I'm not looking for a defense, I'm looking for the trivia as well.

What I'm trying to point out is that trading Stafford would be a huge shift for Darcy, and I don't see it happening.