Joe Finley signed/called up to Sabres

JJFIVEOH

I'd love to see Finley on the fourth line as a forward. We definately could use his size.

6'8" guys aren't forwards and for good reason. Their long reach is actually a hindrance in the offensive zone, as they require a great deal more space to stick handle and maneuver than an average size guy. To this point, he's barely good enough to play defense in the A - a position he has likely played his entire life. You want him to play a new position in the NHL? :thumbdown:

You can hold 50 contracts.

Signing Finley is a low risk move. Most big guys can't skate; he can.

I'm curious of the timing of it all. I wonder if Finley was signed as insurance for the Amerks when Persson was injured. After him it's MacKenzie and Fineahge (sp?).

6'8" guys aren't forwards and for good reason. Their long reach is actually a hindrance in the offensive zone, as they require a great deal more space to stick handle and maneuver than an average size guy. To this point, he's barely good enough to play defense in the A - a position he has likely played his entire life. You want him to play a new position in the NHL? :thumbdown:

I haven't seen him play but the reports are that he's Rochester's best defenseman so far this year. He's also a former first round pick whose career was derailed by a freak injury (ruptured artery in the hand, something that shouldn't be chronic).

"Barely good enough to play defense in the A" is his worst case scenario and it sounds like he's already doing better than that. Best case scenario is that he follows a Fred Jackson-esque career path and makes it to the NHL later than most rookies but ends up a good player.

Now you have me wondering how many forwards there are at that height who are actually more than just the token goon. Brian Boyle is the only one who comes to mind immediately.

I'm curious of the timing of it all. I wonder if Finley was signed as insurance for the Amerks when Persson was injured. After him it's MacKenzie and Fineahge (sp?).

It's a shame that Fienhage's game apparently never developed because when I saw him at North Dakota he seemed like the kind of guy everyone lots of people around here have been aching for lately. He injured someone with a clean check each single time I saw him play. That must have been one hell of a fluke though since he didn't stick there long.

I haven't seen him play but the reports are that he's Rochester's best defenseman so far this year. He's also a former first round pick whose career was derailed by a freak injury (ruptured artery in the hand, something that shouldn't be chronic).

"Barely good enough to play defense in the A" is his worst case scenario and it sounds like he's already doing better than that. Best case scenario is that he follows a Fred Jackson-esque career path and makes it to the NHL later than most rookies but ends up a good player.

He was a street free agent when he was picked up - out of hockey - and I have not heard that he is the best D-man in Roch, only that he is playing well.

I'm not saying he doesn't have a chance of playing D in the NHL someday - I am saying he doesn't stand much of a chance of playing O in the NHL, especially this year.

Now you have me wondering how many forwards there are at that height who are actually more than just the token goon. Brian Boyle is the only one who comes to mind immediately.

I can't figure out how to sort by height. I can't think of anyone else, past or present. Boyle is listed at 6'7", but I'm not sure he looks that big. Hell, Gerbe is listed at 5'6" some places. I'll leave out the other part.

He was a street free agent when he was picked up - out of hockey - and I have not heard that he is the best D-man in Roch, only that he is playing well.

I'm not saying he doesn't have a chance of playing D in the NHL someday - I am saying he doesn't stand much of a chance of playing O in the NHL, especially this year.

I can't figure out how to sort by height. I can't think of anyone else, past or present. Boyle is listed at 6'7", but I'm not sure he looks that big. Hell, Gerbe is listed at 5'6" some places. I'll leave out the other part.

There have been several 6'4" or 6'5" guys that were very good forwards including Lindros, Lemieux, Pete Mahovlich, but I can't think of any ottomh that were 6'7".

I can vouch for Boyle's height. Then again, I did see him playing for a team of mostly smurfs.

No doubt. I'm just saying his feel good comeback story is off to a good start. He's not just some tall guy who can't skate who we signed for Rochester. Right now he looks like a legit prospect.

I love Tyler Myers, but the fact is he just ain't mean enough. He is BIG, but Finley loves to fight and intimidate opponents, which is exactly what this team needs. With Kassian and Mcabb as well as Finley, the team would start to put a little fear in other teams. That in itself would be heaven!

I love Tyler Myers, but the fact is he just ain't mean enough. He is BIG, but Finley loves to fight and intimidate opponents, which is exactly what this team needs. With Kassian and Mcabb as well as Finley, the team would start to put a little fear in other teams. That in itself would be heaven!

Myers looked plenty mean against the Flyers in the playoffs last year.. needs the same ants in his pants during the regular season too.

Myers looked plenty mean against the Flyers in the playoffs last year.. needs the same ants in his pants during the regular season too.

Almost 200 games into his career, and people still like to point out 1 or 2 games where Myers has played out of his element. IMO...He is never going to be that physical guy on a game in game out basis.

I'd be happy if he turns into a player who is not a liability in his own end, and can take his game up a notch or two in the playoffs....and regain his offensive game which has disappeared this year.

I keep asking myself why everyone thinks Joe Finley is going to be this tough guy with a mean treak that is going to fight all these bad men. Then I looked at his hockeyfights card. Big Joe drops the gloves with a bunch of the most notorious AHL tough guys. I'll watch some of his vids when I get home but my mind is changing about him already. He's got a bunch of fights under his belt.

Almost 200 games into his career, and people still like to point out 1 or 2 games where Myers has played out of his element. IMO...He is never going to be that physical guy on a game in game out basis.

I'd be happy if he turns into a player who is not a liability in his own end, and can take his game up a notch or two in the playoffs....and regain his offensive game which has disappeared this year.

He may be 200 games into his career, but he's still only 21 years old. He's still a baby. I don't think he's going to become an extremely physical guy, like Chara-esque, but I also don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that he keeps adding muscle each off-season and by 24 or 25 can be a pretty dominant defenseman and play physical enough.

I keep asking myself why everyone thinks Joe Finley is going to be this tough guy with a mean treak that is going to fight all these bad men. Then I looked at his hockeyfights card. Big Joe drops the gloves with a bunch of the most notorious AHL tough guys. I'll watch some of his vids when I get home but my mind is changing about him already. He's got a bunch of fights under his belt.

It only took one 40 second video for me to fall in love. Mostly cause I was astonished at the dude's size, it wasn't even that good of a fight lol (refer to video I posted on first page).

He may be 200 games into his career, but he's still only 21 years old. He's still a baby. I don't think he's going to become an extremely physical guy, like Chara-esque, but I also don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that he keeps adding muscle each off-season and by 24 or 25 can be a pretty dominant defenseman and play physical enough.

Right. But that still doesn't equate with the mean streak that folks are clammoring for. I have come to the conclusion that Myers is going to be more of an offensive puck mover than a stay at home banger. I'm OK with it, but I'd have preferred more nasty in his game. It's less important if McNabb develops into the next Regehr.

Just a reality check on Finley(I have not seen him play in Rochester)...He was a 1st round pick, has good size & is supposedly a good skater...

His pro career has consisted of 26 games at the AHL level and 43 games at the ECHL level.

He is not the answer at forward this season or any season, AND he is not breaking into the top 7 on the blueline unless more injuries occur.

Where does he fit into the blueline prospect log jam beyond this season? Who knows.

Adding muscle doesn't make you want to play more physical. It is all upstairs, and either you want to do it, or you don't. Gerbe is the smallest player in the league, but plays more physical than Myers ever will.

Adding muscle doesn't make you want to play more physical. It is all upstairs, and either you want to do it, or you don't. Gerbe is the smallest player in the league, but plays more physical than Myers ever will, and did so from his very first game.

Fixed.

Right. But that still doesn't equate with the mean streak that folks are clammoring for. I have come to the conclusion that Myers is going to be more of an offensive puck mover than a stay at home banger. I'm OK with it, but I'd have preferred more nasty in his game. It's less important if McNabb develops into the next Regehr.

You never know, though. There's plenty of time for him to gain some of that nasty. I'm probably leaning more towards your expectations as well, but just keep in mind that he's still a kid. He's still looking up (not literally of course..) to 90% of the league-- I think at this age and point in his career, he's just happy to be where he's at. As the years go by, he will take more hits, he will grow more frustrated, he will get more people in his face... eventually he very well could develop that mean streak. Eventually, maybe, he will get pissed off and play like it. I didn't follow his junior career very closely but I'm assuming given his size and such, he probably didn't have to play that physical for most of his junior career because his size alone was enough to win battles. He could just need some time to a.) put on the pounds to actually BE that kind of physical force, and b.) just figure everything out as far as technique and positioning on hits.

200 games seems like a long enough time to figure himself out, but there's a difference between playing 200 games as a 18-19-20-21 year old kid and playing 200 games as a 24-25 year old with AHL seasoning and several years of pro-level fitness training.

Archived