Joe Finley signed/called up to Sabres

JJFIVEOH

If you get an NHL player from the second round you are doing pretty well.

I wouldn't call him a bust.

I follow you. The man made a career in the NHL despite the odds of even high round picks never getting a sniff of the Pros. I'm just curious...there had to be something more there talent-wise? I just believe that despite his value in the cluch and grab environment, he had to be more than an enforcer for them to spend a 2nd rounder. Though maybe I'm wrong?

I know it's easy to cast stones as fans watching from our seats. I consider myself a "decently mediocre" player and I don't have 10% of the ability Andrew Peters has. I know these guys look slow out there, but it's all perception. I know there's a couple guys on this board who probably still play/played at a decent level so maybe they can back me up. Every now and then I'll be in a tournament that has a fringe ex-NHL or AHL player in it...and these guys just own everyone. Even the ex-enforcers.

But hey, this Joe Finley guy. Can't wait to see what he has. :D

I follow you. The man made a career in the NHL despite the odds of even high round picks never getting a sniff of the Pros. I'm just curious...there had to be something more there talent-wise? I just believe that despite his value in the cluch and grab environment, he had to be more than an enforcer for them to spend a 2nd rounder. Though maybe I'm wrong?

I know it's easy to cast stones as fans watching from our seats. I consider myself a "decently mediocre" player and I don't have 10% of the ability Andrew Peters has. I know these guys look slow out there, but it's all perception. I know there's a couple guys on this board who probably still play/played at a decent level so maybe they can back me up. Every now and then I'll be in a tournament that has a fringe ex-NHL or AHL player in it...and these guys just own everyone. Even the ex-enforcers.

But hey, this Joe Finley guy. Can't wait to see what he has. :D

Myself and others who frequent MCC pickup games have played against ex-Amerk Ray Maluta in Rochester, and for a 57 year old man he has reflexes that make me look like a fool. You can't go near him without getting your stick lifted without him even so much as breaking a sweat. He may not be fast or agile anymore, but his mind is sharp and he knows how to play well with minimal effort. It's truly impressive.

Did anyone else see the Joe Finley interview from NHL Network? (I am assuming the answer is yes)

Basically I LOVE HIM!!!! He was personable and funny. He joked about how he has been training the last few summers with Leopold and that its kinda funny leo is now his "sacrificial lamb" as far as getting his shots in the bigs. Best part was when they asked him if he knew he was the number person in the US trending on twitter last night. He was like ummm no... is that good? Love the fact hes so tall he stands level with the top of the lockers... hope the kid does great and I can't wait to see him play.

Did anyone else see the Joe Finley interview from NHL Network? (I am assuming the answer is yes)

Basically I LOVE HIM!!!! He was personable and funny. He joked about how he has been training the last few summers with Leopold and that its kinda funny leo is now his "sacrificial lamb" as far as getting his shots in the bigs. Best part was when they asked him if he knew he was the number person in the US trending on twitter last night. He was like ummm no... is that good? Love the fact hes so tall he stands level with the top of the lockers... hope the kid does great and I can't wait to see him play.

I'm telling Weber about this. As soon as another young physical defensmen comes in, you just can't help yourself.

If the Sabres were to trade a defender it would have to be Sekera. I cant see them moving MAG because of his play in last season's playoffs. It gives us hope that MAG could develop into a solid Offensive D-Man. Sekera hasnt done much in his time here.

Hello everyone. I've been lurking for a few years and decided it was time to wade in. For his limited ice time, I liked Finley's play last night, in particular the play when he raced a Preds forward for the puck in our defensive zone. Finley muscled the guy off the puck, took possession, and broke out. I was really happy to see him take the body and fight for the puck instead of passively breaking down and allowing a shot or continued possession in the Sabres' zone. I hope he can continue to develop because I think we need more defensemen who will consistently take the body and stand forwards up instead of merely slapping at sticks hoping to connect with the puck. I'm looking forward to seeing more of him.

If the Sabres were to trade a defender it would have to be Sekera. I cant see them moving MAG because of his play in last season's playoffs. It gives us hope that MAG could develop into a solid Offensive D-Man. Sekera hasnt done much in his time here.

Why are you thinking about trading a defenseman? The last 2 games, two of the Sabres D have been guys who should be Amerks. I don't know what MAG has done to make you think he is a capable NHL defenseman. I can't stand watching him. It hurts my eyes.

Hello everyone. I've been lurking for a few years and decided it was time to wade in. For his limited ice time, I liked Finley's play last night, in particular the play when he raced a Preds forward for the puck in our defensive zone. Finley muscled the guy off the puck, took possession, and broke out. I was really happy to see him take the body and fight for the puck instead of passively breaking down and allowing a shot or continued possession in the Sabres' zone. I hope he can continue to develop because I think we need more defensemen who will consistently take the body and stand forwards up instead of merely slapping at sticks hoping to connect with the puck. I'm looking forward to seeing more of him.

Good post, and welcome aboard.

Word is Finley got to Abany for the game but his gear didn't so he didn't play. Amerks were short players. And lost.

Here's a goofy idea......same guy owns both teams. Same GM for both teams. Why not have a redundant set of gear for the 3 or 4 guys that are on the brink of going up or down at any time?

The guy isn't the typical 6'1" 192lb fella either.

I buy my shoes 5 pair at a time because they are hard to find.

What has MAG done that Sekera hasn't? Besides suck I mean...

I'm actually considering ranking MAG higher than Kalinin in my "Most Painful Sabre to Watch" list.

Seriously. Haha. Totally off topic, but when I play NHL 12 franchise mode, I always draft a tall ass guy -- 6'8, 6'9, 6'10 -- in the later rounds. Their OVRs are awful but the poke check is so important, any pairing with that reach is impossible to play against. Haha.

Wow, look at the size of this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfbq3BDBkig

This may be going a stretch, but his physical prowess reminds me a lot of the legendary Russian Greco-Roman Olympic wrestler Alexander Karelin. That guy was a beast!

Here's a goofy idea......same guy owns both teams. Same GM for both teams. Why not have a redundant set of gear for the 3 or 4 guys that are on the brink of going up or down at any time?

The guy isn't the typical 6'1" 192lb fella either.

I buy my shoes 5 pair at a time because they are hard to find.

And I don't throw out my old boxers no matter how many holes they have in them. Sometimes you find something so comfortable that you don't even want to think about replacing it.

Archived