GDT: Sabres at Bruins 11/12/11 7:00PM

spndnchz

You know what I can't wait for... this years draft where we will take another puck moving defender or finesse type of winger... thats all we have drafted for a decade now <_<

They should bench 2 or 3 of our defenders and bring up McNabb and Kassian. At this point I am disillusioned enough with this team to believe that we need to make a trade. Somethings gotta give.

Please explain.

You know what I can't wait for... this years draft where we will take another puck moving defender or finesse type of winger... thats all we have drafted for a decade now <_<

They should bench 2 or 3 of our players and bring up McNabb and Kassian. At this point I am disillusioned enough with this team to believe that we need to make a trade. Somethings gotta give.

I have a much more cautious approach to Kassian than everybody else I guess. I remember seeing him this past pre-season where he looked slow, lumbering and passive. Did everybody else forget that ?

I have a much more cautious approach to Kassian than everybody else I guess. I remember seeing him this past pre-season where he looked slow, lumbering and passive. Did everybody else forget that ?

I didn't. I don't think Ruff did, either; I think that's why Tropp got the first opportunity in the bigs.

Please explain.

1 exception/outlier

I am defining the physicality based off of guys being agressive when it come to driving to the net, finishing checks, and leveling those that get in their face... hard to play against players.

Take a look at who we have drafted. We haven't taken a center in the first round in about forever either. Except for Kassian we drafted:

03 - Vanek - strong but not overly physically aggressive

04 - Stafford - strong but meh physically

05 - Zagrapan - no comment

06 - Persson - puck mover

08 - Myers - he has the potential but I am sick of waiting for "potential"

08 - Ennis - small speedy winger

09 - Kassian - THE EXCEPTION TO MORE SKILL THAN KILL

10 - Pysyk - Puck moving defender

11 - Arniel - Skill/finesse winger

Out of those 9 first round picks 2 might qualify as physical take your head but can still score on you guys...

McCormick's face is a mess, can't fight right now. I give him a pass. Too many stiches, but if that was going to be the case, the Sabres should have brought up someone and sat McCormick if only for this game.

McCormick's only purpose is to fight. If he is injured and can't go he shouldn't be in the line-up at all.

I didn't. I don't think Ruff did, either; I think that's why Tropp got the first opportunity in the bigs.

I hate to agree with you guys on Kassian, but true he looked a lot like Adam did in the first few games even worse only that was the preseason, where as Adam was off in the regular season. Needs to learn the speed of the game and that probably is another year away. That being said Tropp looks ready to compete and McNabb didn't look out of place nor did Foligno.

Adam needs to step up physically too, that is why he is on that line.

I hate to agree with you guys on Kassian, but true he looked a lot like Adam did in the first few games even worse only that was the preseason, where as Adam was off in the regular season. Needs to learn the speed of the game and that probably is another year away. That being said Tropp looks ready to compete and McNabb didn't look out of place nor did Foligno.

Adam needs to step up physically too, that is why he is on that line.

I know what you are getting at here. But those preseason games are a pretty good indication that Kassian needs more time to ripen in the AHL first. Those games were his (and others') opportunity to say "HEY LOOK AT ME ... I BELONG UP HERE". If he has any sense in him, Kassian knew that he should have been throwin bonecrushing hits as if it was his last NHL game ever. he failed to do that.

S

1 exception/outlier

I am defining the physicality based off of guys being agressive when it come to driving to the net, finishing checks, and leveling those that get in their face... hard to play against players.

Take a look at who we have drafted. We haven't taken a center in the first round in about forever either. Except for Kassian we drafted:

03 - Vanek - strong but not overly physically aggressive

04 - Stafford - strong but meh physically

05 - Zagrapan - no comment

06 - Persson - puck mover

08 - Myers - he has the potential but I am sick of waiting for "potential"

08 - Ennis - small speedy winger

09 - Kassian - THE EXCEPTION TO MORE SKILL THAN KILL

10 - Pysyk - Puck moving defender

11 - Arniel - Skill/finesse winger

Out of those 9 first round picks 2 might qualify as physical take your head but can still score on you guys...

Last week you were arguing for nothing but centers.

There are only about 10 high school age players a year that are sure fire NHL players.

So finally I'm looking for a nice way to again say it.

America please understand that the NHL entry draft is nothing like the NFL draft.

Imagine if the NBA could only draft high school students and that would be closer to what the NHL entry draft is.

People keep saying wait until the next Bruins game...okay fine...but what are they going to do in the meantime....hope that no other teams saw what Boston did and not try the same thing? Changes need to occur NOW to the lineup as if I am a coach for an opposing team, I would do the same thing as Boston until Buffalo grows a pair.

The answer is not already on the roster...sure the girl's may get tough for a game or two...maybe break a finger nail...but all too soon will revert to their gutless true form. This team needs to build a roster for the playoffs, not the regular season.

If Lindy wants to stick with his puck moving offensive defense , play small like girls scheme (some people call it finesse), it is ok when you are playing the bottom dwellers that use similar schemes. Against Boston, Philly, Montreal, and Tampa / Florida to some extent you are going to need at times a more physical approach.(I could also see scenerios where i could add Pitt and Washington to the list in a limited use way). I suggest the Sabre's pick up a few primo enforcers (they are cheap) and put them on their ahl team. That way when you bring one or two up for a Boston game and one beats the crap out of a cheap shot artist like Lucic and he gets suspended there are a few left behind him for the next physical games. This same approach can be used with defensmen who can bang.Grags, Sekera, Myers,etc, are too much of a liability in a physical game. You already have Weber and Morrison.Pick up a couple more ready to go NHLers for the Amerks.

Cody, Goose and Kaleta are too small and skilled for this type of assignment.

Gaustad is a full-blown liar.

He said he didn't see the hit.

The NESN feed shows him all by himself at the redline on the way back as Lucic destroys Miller. Nothing impeding his view or distracting him, and I'm sure 93% of the viewers at home knew what was coming.

I've shut up all season, waiting for the team show you instead of me telling you. At least it seems that fans are sick of the constant theme.

The national media is just blasting the Sabres. Even Dupont in Boston who is Pegula's loose connection is scathing towards Miller, telling him he should go play in a Sweedish league.

Rough week for biodork. 2 national embarassments on her hands.

If Lindy wants to stick with his puck moving offensive defense , play small like girls scheme (some people call it finesse), it is ok when you are playing the bottom dwellers that use similar schemes. Against Boston, Philly, Montreal, and Tampa / Florida to some extent you are going to need at times a more physical approach. I suggest the Sabre's pick up a few primo enforcers (they are cheap) and put them on their ahl team. That way when you bring one or two for A Boston game and one beats the crap out of a cheap shot artist like Lucic and he gets suspended there are a few left behind him for the next physical game. This same approach can be used with defensmen who can bang.Grags, Sekera, Nyers et al are too much of a liability in a physical game. Yopu already have Weber and Morrison.Pick up a couple more for the Amerks.

In the 80's, the Bruins would call up Shoebottom and Sabres Halkidis for their games.

Everyone is welcome to jump all over me for this but I still think this ones on Darcy. As I said in the other thread it doesn't matter how much money you spend this team is built in Darcys image. He is on record as saying that fighting is on its way out ( and maybe he's correct? ) but this team is as soft as he is. The way Boston manhandled the Canucks last year is the same way they will try to win another cup this year. If this sabres team stands in Bostons way we lose in a seven game series. This team as its constituted now will wilt so fast it will be embarrassing. Boston doesn't necessarily have tough guys across the board but almost every player will stand up because they find toughness as a collective group and being in a group with heart and courage brings out the courage and heart from even the least likely to respond. I'm not advocating spending all our cap space on guys that can't skate but on finding guys who as a group play tough. We made a good start bringing in Reghier(spelling,sorry?) and as others have said Weber would go a long way towards toughening up the D but the forward ranks need balls also. Hopefully Darcy sees fit to get something in a trade and while he's at it figure out who of the softer players he can ship out of here while he's at it.

Everyone is welcome to jump all over me for this but I still think this ones on Darcy. As I said in the other thread it doesn't matter how much money you spend this team is built in Darcys image. He is on record as saying that fighting is on its way out ( and maybe he's correct? ) but this team is as soft as he is. The way Boston manhandled the Canucks last year is the same way they will try to win another cup this year. If this sabres team stands in Bostons way we lose in a seven game series. This team as its constituted now will wilt so fast it will be embarrassing. Boston doesn't necessarily have tough guys across the board but almost every player will stand up because they find toughness as a collective group and being in a group with heart and courage brings out the courage and heart from even the least likely to respond. I'm not advocating spending all our cap space on guys that can't skate but on finding guys who as a group play tough. We made a good start bringing in Reghier(spelling,sorry?) and as others have said Weber would go a long way towards toughening up the D but the forward ranks need balls also. Hopefully Darcy sees fit to get something in a trade and while he's at it figure out who of the softer players he can ship out of here while he's at it.

The only move Darcy made in the offseason that I'm unhappy with is Leino and that still has the potential to work out. (Especially if he lives up to his reputation in the playoffs.)

12 months ago the Sabres were a team that looked like they'd miss the playoffs. It took them a red hot finish to the season just to make the playoffs last spring. I know it's been a few months, but I don't remember thinking Regier could give every problem the Sabres have AND make them serious contenders in one off-season. Then it turned out we *did* have a great off-season and suddenly anything less than a Cup is a huge failure.

Also, all I remember fans talking about during this past off-season is how much we need a no.1 center. NOT how we need more toughness. So it's weird to retroactively say Regier failed to address the needs we really cared out.

Unfortunately, the Sabres toughness is in the AHL right now and still a few years away from helping us. We'll have a lot more toughness when Kassian, Foligno, and McNabb get here. That said, I still don't think it's impossible that this Sabres team wins it all this year. For starters, they aren't as embarrassingly wimpy as they showed last night and, second, even a group of badasses like the Bruins looked beatable during the playoffs last year. Plus, we were tougher than the Flyers last year and they still beat us.

exactly...

The only move Darcy made in the offseason that I'm unhappy with is Leino and that still has the potential to work out. (Especially if he lives up to his reputation in the playoffs.)

12 months ago the Sabres were a team that looked like they'd miss the playoffs. It took them a red hot finish to the season just to make the playoffs last spring. I know it's been a few months, but I don't remember thinking Regier could give every problem the Sabres have AND make them serious contenders in one off-season. Then it turned out we *did* have a great off-season and suddenly anything less than a Cup is a huge failure.

Also, all I remember fans talking about during this past off-season is how much we need a no.1 center. NOT how we need more toughness. So it's weird to retroactively say Regier failed to address the needs we really cared out.

Unfortunately, the Sabres toughness is in the AHL right now and still a few years away from helping us. We'll have a lot more toughness when Kassian, Foligno, and McNabb get here. That said, I still don't think it's impossible that this Sabres team wins it all this year. For starters, they aren't as embarrassingly wimpy as they showed last night and, second, even a group of badasses like the Bruins looked beatable during the playoffs last year. Plus, we were tougher than the Flyers last year and they still beat us.

If I were GM, I'd bring up Kassian, Foligno and McNabb and get things started immediately. It doesn't get much uglier than last night's game.

Archived