GDT: Sabres at Bruins 11/12/11 7:00PM

spndnchz

If I were GM, I'd bring up Kassian, Foligno and McNabb and get things started immediately. It doesn't get much uglier than last night's game.

It doesn't get much uglier than last night's game, but throwing three rookies into the lineup as a knee-jerk reaction will probably land us in that "much uglier" zone.

This team has to figure out how it wants to go forward.

Are we going to be an entertaining, fast skating, team that tries to score?

or..

Are we going to beef up, mix it in with some skill, and beat you up in the alley?

The Bruins are the latter and it won them a Cup.

I'd prefer entertaining hockey and a Cup, but to me, the NHL has made it pretty clear that the regular season is not the playoffs and that thuggery will have the advantage come playoff time. It's on the league.

So sad that it's really the only league that changes it's rules in the playoffs. So frustrating!

This team has to figure out how it wants to go forward.

Are we going to be an entertaining, fast skating, team that tries to score?

or..

Are we going to beef up, mix it in with some skill, and beat you up in the alley?

The Bruins are the latter and it won them a Cup.

I'd prefer entertaining hockey and a Cup, but to me, the NHL has made it pretty clear that the regular season is not the playoffs and that thuggery will have the advantage come playoff time. It's on the league.

So sad that it's really the only league that changes it's rules in the playoffs. So frustrating!

The NFL has different overtime rules in the playoffs! :nana:

If I were GM, I'd bring up Kassian, Foligno and McNabb and get things started immediately. It doesn't get much uglier than last night's game.

Kassian is the only Amerk anywhere near being ready to play at the NHL level. Bringing up anyone else (minus Tropp) would derail their careers.

Tropp,sure but Finley??? :unsure: He's played more ECHL games than AHL games. Me thinks he might be a little over matched at the NHL level. (although he did have a nice feed on Stuart's goal last night)

You may be right, but he is willing to drop the gloves, which should be enough reason to have him in there for one game against Boston.

Not one person was willing last night, unless of course it was Lindys directive.

Either way, it was embarrassing.

Its kinda funny how everyone is ready to pull the plug on everything, lol..............The team needs to regroup after last nights game thats for sure and see how they respond after some soul searching.

true..Montreal will be a very interesting game to watch, but this team still needs to add a couple of NHL level bangers, even if they only play against the thug teams.

This was a horrible loss. One of the worst games I've seen Buffalo play. THE ONLY game since the lockout I didn't finish watching with Buffalo. When Bruins scored 6-1, I just stopped watching. And that hasn't happen in 6 years... Did anyone run Lucic the last 10 minutes of the game?

No.

Talk here has been that it's only November...Vanek and Pominville didn't want to get hurt ...Kaleta didn't want another suspenseion...it's only one game...etc...etc...etc.

All of that is crap.

The bottom line here is that Lucic laid out the face of this team. Miller can't be the captain because of the rules, but if he could, he would be. When people think of the Sabres do you really think the image of Pominville comes to their minds? No, it's Miller.

To have their biggest guy knock down your most important player without any retaliation is disgraceful. To make it worse, Lucic just laughs and says that things would have been much different if that had happened to Thomas. He basically called the Sabres spineless.

And that is the message he sent, not only to his team and the fans watching, but to the league as well...SPINELESS!!! Previously the team would attack any player who roughed up Miller in any way. But they are afraid of Lucic and I think they need to admit it and stop making excuses. They are AFRAID of him.

There are only two answers to this.

1. Curl up in a ball and play out the rest of the season, accepting that they will be known as a soft team from now on by everyone (and for that Pommiville is the perfect captain)

or

2. Call up Kassian for the game on the 23rd. If you don't make a statement here, you've chosen path nr. 1. Put in Weber. Bench Sykera. Hold a pre-game meeting. Call on Myers, McCormick, and Gaustead to have a tough physical game. Hammer the Bruins at every opportunity (they have 3 days off prior to this game to rest up), and pay particular attention to Lucic.

It also wouldn't hurt to show them the film of Schoenfeld taking on the Bruins in that epic 10-6 win over the Big Bad Bruins Dec. 13, 1972 when he took on Vadnais in the 1st period, Cashman in the 2nd, and Orr in the 3rd. THAT'S the kind of team we need to have and that the fans would love.

Ruff wasn't a wimp, despite the footage Sphz showed against Neeley. I recall seeing him do a U turn after having been slashed by Billy Smith and taking on that SOB tooth and nail.

The next Bruins game will really show us what kind of team the Sabres are.

P.S. I would love to hear what Leino would have to say if he had been asked what would have happened to Lucic if a Flyer goalie had been hit like that. Something quite different, I'm sure.

I'm still pissed. Buffalo is now known as a soft team.. This is from spectorshockey:

"Lucic however had better be careful not to start making this a habit, because other clubs won’t respond as meekly as the Sabres did to this."

I've never been embarrased to be a Sabre fan until now. Team Sweden lost in a simular way a few years back when Rob Niedermeier runned over Peter Forsberg in the World championships final. Sweden were up 3-1, the dirty hit happened, Sweden didn't respons, and Canada scored 4 straight to win the gold. Sweden as a country where embarrased after that. I feel the same way now, even is this was only a regular season game. But that doesn't matter.

Talk here has been that it's only November...Vanek and Pominville didn't want to get hurt ...Kaleta didn't want another suspenseion...it's only one game...etc...etc...etc.

All of that is crap.

The bottom line here is that Lucic laid out the face of this team. Miller can't be the captain because of the rules, but if he could, he would be. When people think of the Sabres do you really think the image of Pominville comes to their minds? No, it's Miller.

To have their biggest guy knock down your most important player without any retaliation is disgraceful. To make it worse, Lucic just laughs and says that things would have been much different if that had happened to Thomas. He basically called the Sabres spineless.

And that is the message he sent, not only to his team and the fans watching, but to the league as well...SPINELESS!!! Previously the team would attack any player who roughed up Miller in any way. But they are afraid of Lucic and I think they need to admit it and stop making excuses. They are AFRAID of him.

There are only two answers to this.

1. Curl up in a ball and play out the rest of the season, accepting that they will be known as a soft team from now on by everyone (and for that Pommiville is the perfect captain)

or

2. Call up Kassian for the game on the 23rd. If you don't make a statement here, you've chosen path nr. 1. Put in Weber. Bench Sykera. Hold a pre-game meeting. Call on Myers, McCormick, and Gaustead to have a tough physical game. Hammer the Bruins at every opportunity (they have 3 days off prior to this game to rest up), and pay particular attention to Lucic.

It also wouldn't hurt to show them the film of Schoenfeld taking on the Bruins in that epic 10-6 win over the Big Bad Bruins Dec. 13, 1972 when he took on Vadnais in the 1st period, Cashman in the 2nd, and Orr in the 3rd. THAT'S the kind of team we need to have and that the fans would love.

Ruff wasn't a wimp, despite the footage Sphz showed against Neeley. I recall seeing him do a U turn after having been slashed by Billy Smith and taking on that SOB tooth and nail.

The next Bruins game will really show us what kind of team the Sabres are.

P.S. I would love to hear what Leino would have to say if he had been asked what would have happened to Lucic if a Flyer goalie had been hit like that. Something quite different, I'm sure.

This is not a job for any of the children in the AHL.

I'm still pissed. Buffalo is now known as a soft team.. This is from spectorshockey:

"Lucic however had better be careful not to start making this a habit, because other clubs won’t respond as meekly as the Sabres did to this."

I've never been embarrased to be a Sabre fan until now. Team Sweden lost in a simular way a few years back when Rob Niedermeier runned over Peter Forsberg in the World championships final. Sweden were up 3-1, the dirty hit happened, Sweden didn't respons, and Canada scored 4 straight to win the gold. Sweden as a country where embarrased after that. I feel the same way now, even is this was only a regular season game. But that doesn't matter.

Great post and exactly how I feel as a sabres fan. 40 years and I've never been embarrassed to be a fan of the blue and gold. Until now. If those of you who are making excuses for this pathetic,cowardly response have watched any,and I mean literally any sports casts they are all spinning it the exact same way. The Sabres are soft and cowardly for not responding and rolling over. Players,coaches,everybody see this as it is. Except a few apologists on this board who are ok with the travesty that happened last night. How does this team respond? Every team we play will now take liberties knowing full well there will be no repercussions.

Archived