GDT: Sabres at Bruins 11/12/11 7:00PM

spndnchz

The core of this team is still spineless. I know that sounds harsh, but the Lucic run on Miller sealed it for me. Even the Boston announcers were perplexed that no one responded after the hit.

I could care less about the regular season. I don't care if we finish eighth on the last game of the season. The playoffs are all that matters... and what kind of team we have built for a run at the Cup.

The playoffs are a mental and physical gauntlet. A war of attrition. Last year, Lindy talked about players playing "out of character." He means they have to grow a set of b____s in the playoffs. But we can't muster that with a good portion of this crew. No, I am not going off the deep end because of a loss in the first quarter of the season. But if Darcy is going to make ANY kind of move by the trade deadline, we need less smurfs, less finesse. We need more blood and guts.

So you were happy with their effort tonight, especially on defense?

No. But it's an 82 game season. The team just won 4 straight games. There's no need to jump off the bandwagon all the time after a loss and spend you're free time attacking players....which is what always seems to happen. All the callers on WGR crying about a "gutless" team not "responding" to Lucic. A whole bunch of players did get in there and shove him, not to mention we don't need Van or Pom breaking their Jaw in a fight..... Gaustad got tied up by multiple players. Could we have responded later in the game? sure. I thought the Kaleta hit on Chara sort of was anyway.... But regardless there's 5 more games against this team.

The core of this team is still spineless. I know that sounds harsh, but the Lucic run on Miller sealed it for me. I could care less about the regular season. I don't care if we finish eighth on the last game of the season. The playoffs are all that matters... and what kind of team we have built for a run at the Cup.

The playoffs are a mental and physical gauntlet. A war of attrition. Last year, Lindy talked about players playing "out of character." He means they have to grow a set of b____s in the playoffs. But we can't muster that with a good portion of this crew. No, I am not going off the deep end because of a loss in the first quarter of the season. But if Darcy is going to make ANY kind of move by the trade deadline, we need less smurfs, less finesse. We need more blood and guts.

Yea, another fan who wants Vanek or Pominville to break their jaw.

This team needs grit. They are not gritty enough by a long shot. If a 50-60pt player with grit is available we need to trade for him, yesterday. I hesitate to say this, but Rick Nash is a possible option as there has been talk coming from columbus that he may ask for a trade. Idk who should go or stay or what but this team is bad. Yup they have a winning record but in my gut i dont believe that they have enough toughness both physically and mentally to survive the playoffs. Much has to change before a deep run can be considered. I am very interested to see how the Montreal game goes...

I am not jumping off any bandwagon. I think this team has a lot of skilled players and will do fine for the regular season but I do not believe it is likely this team gets passed round 2.

I didn't attack you. I commented on a post of yours based on the way I perceived it.

Anyway, Lindy's presser was full of short responses and he seemed disappointed that nobody stepped up after the hit as well. But I don't get the feeling that he felt that hit cost the team the game.

I don't think I mentioned anywhere in my post anything about the Miller hit, but since you've brought it up anyway, we can discuss it.

I don't think it cost them the game. But I think their lack of response set the tone for the loss. Boston was all fired up expecting retaliation and it never came.

If Lindy wants a response, then facilitate it. If he doesn't want a response, the team should initiate it anyway. I don't care if we lose the game, I want to see some fire and pride.

Good LORD...it's November and the team is 10 and 6. 10-6!!! And you'd think they were 2-14. Some of the fans are just brutal and very very illogical.

Sure, they are 10-4 against teams that they might be equal to, or better than.

But, they are 0-2 against two teams that are probably better than them. That's what is going to matter later.

The only "gutless" thing is all the Sabres fans who jump at an opportunity to throw the team under the bus. You fail...hard.

Oh, I see. A team you can't beat in the playoffs takes a cheap shot run at your goaltender, and no one stands up to it. Then you wilt for two periods and go home licking Ryan Miller's wounds and your own. We've seen this replay and it has lead to ZERO Cups in over 40 years.

Sorry, an objective view would say the team doesn't (yet) have the mental AND physical fortitude to go far in the playoffs. It's around the league --- they're soft. When they fix that aspect of the team, we'll be a contender. It's not throwing the Sabres under the bus. It's acknowledging the shortcomings of this team and expressing a viewpoint that they're not built yet for a long run in the playoffs.

Not much to say about the game. Miller and Enroth both didn't look good.

As far as the toughness issue and the lack of response to Miller getting run, it all comes down to what Gerbe said in between periods when he said the "officials will take care of that", not the exact words but the message was clear. The lack of response appears to come from Ruff.

No. But it's an 82 game season. The team just won 4 straight games. There's no need to jump off the bandwagon all the time after a loss and spend you're free time attacking players....which is what always seems to happen. All the callers on WGR crying about a "gutless" team not "responding" to Lucic. A whole bunch of players did get in there and shove him, not to mention we don't need Van or Pom breaking their Jaw in a fight..... Gaustad got tied up by multiple players. Could we have responded later in the game? sure. I thought the Kaleta hit on Chara sort of was anyway.... But regardless there's 5 more games against this team.

Yea, another fan who wants Vanek or Pominville to break their jaw.

Good LORD...it's November and the team is 10 and 6. 10-6!!! And you'd think they were 2-14. Some of the fans are just brutal and very very illogical.

Ryan Miller is now injured as a result of that hit. The chances of Vanek or Pommers breaking their jaws by tossing Lucic to the ice is very unlikely. They did push him around but you know what, Myers should have thrown him to the ice and smacked him around. Lucic should be suspended for the hit. What you fail to realize is that teams who stand up for eachother do better in the playoffs. It is almost 1/4 of the season gone and this team has yet to show some backbone... thats a problem. If you do not like the logic some have used so be it but you responded and being an arrogant s.o.b. on everyones post is more illogical than anything. Good night.

Winning 4 games in a row against non-playoff teams and losing 3 in a row (now 4 in a row after tonight) against ones who were tells me that record does not mean everything.

I don't think I mentioned anywhere in my post anything about the Miller hit, but since you've brought it up anyway, we can discuss it.

I don't think it cost them the game. But I think their lack of response set the tone for the loss. Boston was all fired up expecting retaliation and it never came.

If Lindy wants a response, then facilitate it. If he doesn't want a response, the team should initiate it anyway. I don't care if we lose the game, I want to see some fire and pride.

I don't think Lindy should have to tap his guys on the shoulder to get them to respond to the hit. We have seen him do that before, but I feel like he was expecting the team to just step up and do it. I think this is where the tone in the interview came from.

I would have like to have seen somebody....anybody show some courage to defend his teammate...especially the goalie! No retribution means in game #2 they can do it again and again with no concern about any consequences.

An alternate possibility is maybe the team DOESN'T have Miller's back.

(just throwing it out there for discussion - I personally don't believe this is the case)

Really, so you're going to come in here a minority - as in this game was no big deal to you - and you're going to put down all of the fans who are upset.

Does this stance make you a better fan? Are fans who are okay with mediocrity, fans who think the playoffs are a long way off, are they superior to others?

No. I think your kind of "fan" is crap. You obviously have no idea what it takes to get into and stay in the playoffs. You are obviously okay with your team's players being beat-up and embarrassed. What are games to you - a social outing?

Give me fans who CARE what happens to the team and its players. Give me fans who understand that you don't go far in the playoffs with a soft team. Give me fans who understand that there is no luck on the ice, but there is willpower and verve, talent and creativity, pride and guts. Give me fans who hang on to every game like it's as important as the last and the next.

That fan is not you. I don't know what kind of "fan" you are, but you don't belong on a message board of Sabres zealots.

Sure, they are 10-4 against teams that they might be equal to, or better than.

But, they are 0-2 against two teams that are probably better than them. That's what is going to matter later.

Give it up. People like this don't understand the game. But I bet they really like the third jersey colors.

Really, so you're going to come in here a minority - as in this game was no big deal to you - and you're going to put down all of the fans who are upset.

Does this stance make you a better fan? Are fans who are okay with mediocrity, fans who think the playoffs are a long way off, are they superior to others?

No. I think your kind of "fan" is crap. You obviously have no idea what it takes to get into and stay in the playoffs. You are obviously okay with your team's players being beat-up and embarrassed. What are games to you - a social outing?

Give me fans who CARE what happens to the team and its players. Give me fans who understand that you don't go far in the playoffs with a soft team. Give me fans who understand that there is no luck on the ice, but there is willpower and verve, talent and creativity, pride and guts. Give me fans who hang on to every game like it's as important as the last and the next.

That fan is not you. I don't know what kind of "fan" you are, but you don't belong on a message board of Sabres zealots.

Agreed.

I don't think Lindy should have to tap his guys on the shoulder to get them to respond to the hit. We have seen him do that before, but I feel like he was expecting the team to just step up and do it. I think this is where the tone in the interview came from.

He shouldn't have to, but it IS his job.

If you want it done, make sure it happens. Simple.

Sorry, but a Kaleta hit on Chara is not a "sort of was anyway". It was one of the few bright spots of the game though. A Kaleta hit on Tim Thomas...now that would be a response!

That's some Lloyd Benson shiha! Aoooooooo!

He shouldn't have to, but it IS his job.

If you want it done, make sure it happens. Simple.

At that point in the game the Sabres were up 1-0 (I think) so it's a fine line between doing something about the hit and trying to go out still win the game. I have a feeling this wouldn't be as big of a deal if the Sabres had won this game, so taking a dumb penalty at that point in the game maybe was the right move. For later in the game, though, I can't explain the lack of response.

Sorry, but a Kaleta hit on Chara is not a "sort of was anyway". It was one of the few bright spots of the game though. A Kaleta hit on Tim Thomas...now that would be a response!

Yes, and also a ticket to the bench to serve another, more lengthy suspension -- one that would eliminate him from next weeks game vs the same Bruins. Good idea.

Archived