GDT: Sabres at Bruins 11/12/11 7:00PM

spndnchz

Last night, the disease that plagues our Buffalo Sabres was manifested blatantly to the hockey world: an inability and/or unwillingness to play the game at a sufficient physical and emotional level to win a Stanley Cup. Deep down, we've known this all along, haven't we?

Darcy was a genius coming out of the lockout, right? A clamping down on hooking, grabbing, and rough stuff would allow teams to exploit their speed and more talented players. The Sabres, already of a small, quick, and speedy build, took advantage and had some of its best years in recent memory.

But the bubble burst when the playoffs reverted back to an intense, physical war of attrition. Teams that went to the Cup Finals were not of the free-wheeling, tic-tac-toe passing variety. On the contrary, they were net-crashing, meat-grinding teams which were tatattered and torn by the time they got to the finals.

Darcy and Lindy, seeing this unfold like the rest of us, adjust by adding players like Boyes, Ennis, Leino, and Gerbe to the lineup, with a core that already included Roy, Vanek, Pomminstein, and formerly Connolly. The defense has no Jay Mckee; rather, the unit is dominated by offensive defensemen who can "jump into the rush" in Lindy's "system." A physical presence we are not.

in the end, we are left with a team built to make the playoffs, not get through them. Terry Pegula and Ted Black must reassess the makeup of the roster and fashion a team capable of getting through the playoff gauntlet. Lindy can't rely on a timid core to "play out of character" during the post-season. The Sabres need players who already have it in their character.

Last night, the disease that plagues our Buffalo Sabres was manifested blatantly to the hockey world: an inability and/or unwillingness to play the game at a sufficient physical and emotional level to win a Stanley Cup. Deep down, we've known this all along, haven't we?

Darcy was a genius coming out of the lockout, right? A clamping down on hooking, grabbing, and rough stuff would allow teams to exploit their speed and more talented players. The Sabres, already of a small, quick, and speedy build, took advantage and had some of its best years in recent memory.

But the bubble burst when the playoffs reverted back to an intense, physical war of attrition. Teams that went to the Cup Finals were not of the free-wheeling, tic-tac-toe passing variety. On the contrary, they were net-crashing, meat-grinding teams which were tatattered and torn by the time they got to the finals.

Darcy and Lindy, seeing this unfold like the rest of us, adjust by adding players like Boyes, Ennis, Leino, and Gerbe to the lineup, with a core that already included Roy, Vanek, Pomminstein, and formerly Connolly. The defense has no Jay Mckee; rather, the unit is dominated by offensive defensemen who can "jump into the rush" in Lindy's "system." A physical presence we are not.

in the end, we are left with a team built to make the playoffs, not get through them. Terry Pegula and Ted Black must reassess the makeup of the roster and fashion a team capable of getting through the playoff gauntlet. Lindy can't rely on a timid core to "play out of character" during the post-season. The Sabres need players who already have it in their character.

I don't think it is as much the makeup of the roster as it is the man behind the bench. If Lucic was a Sabre Ruff would be trying to remove any and all toughness from his game as he did with Gaustad. They have Mike Weber and he continues to sit in the press box while players like Leopold, Sekera and Mag continue to dress.

It has been proven time and time again over the years that Regier and Ruff have no stomach for the physical side of the game. That is where Black and Pegula need to make the changes. It has not been a secret that the Sabres forwards are soft. Who do they sign in the off-season? Another soft forward, Leino.

Last night is what you get when a legless defense gets caught up ice.

Problem #1 is the worst defensive performance in years.

Quality of play on back to back nights is the worst thing about the NHL.

Problem number two is that no physical response to Lucic means that it is league wide open season on Buffalo. Like it or not teams will now try to push Buffalo around.

Gaustad is embarrassed because he knows what it means for the next 6 weeks of hockey.

We'll see what this team is made of.

I don't think it is as much the makeup of the roster as it is the man behind the bench. If Lucic was a Sabre Ruff would be trying to remove any and all toughness from his game as he did with Gaustad. They have Mike Weber and he continues to sit in the press box while players like Leopold, Sekera and Mag continue to dress.

I mentioned in an earlier post our Ted Nolan teams. We didn't have the best talent overall, but the team was like a relentless buzz-saw every night. And when Lindy took the Sabres to the Finals the first time, wasn't it shortly after Nolan's departure when perhaps the team still had some leftover grit...before Ruff emasculated the team? Your point about the coaching impact is undeniable.

X. is absolutely correct.

The Sabres defence — which was atrocious in the game's second half — was actually pretty good in its first.

It's just that as the realization no one was going to respond to Lucic (or that no one could respond to Lucic) crawled into the heads of both teams, the confidence was sucked right out of Buffalo.

Boston was clearly the alpha dog and both sides knew it.

Weber is in the press box, Myers is too worried about issues with his offence and his defence, Kaleta (although he did crush Chara) is too conscious of his rep, we got nothing from Cody, Regehr or Goose.

And that's all we've got to offer when the game goes in this direction.

And the game will go in this direction. It's inevitable, especially now.

Beat 'em in the alley and you'll beat them on the ice has always been a truism in the NHL.

The message will remain around the league until we erase it: the Sabres have no taste for alleys.

You wanna blame Ruff for the lack of retaliation? I don't buy it. Evidence when Neal ran Drury, Roff put out all his fighters on the very next shift and they responded. At some point it becomes the players on the ice decision to either show up or shy away. Coaching has nothing to do with that.

You wanna blame Ruff for the lack of retaliation? I don't buy it. Evidence when Neal ran Drury, Roff put out all his fighters on the very next shift and they responded. At some point it becomes the players on the ice decision to either show up or shy away. Coaching has nothing to do with that.

Seems like you just contradicted yourself. Coaching has nothing to do with it, but after the hit on Drury, Ruff put out all his muscle? What did Lindy do last night?

Seems like you just contradicted yourself. Coaching has nothing to do with it, but after the hit on Drury, Ruff put out all his muscle? What did Lindy do last night?

Someone please answer this question...keeping in mind that Peters and Mair are gone and Kaleta could do little coming off of a suspension (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/article631002.ece).

It sure would have been nice to have kept Tropp in the lineup and to have dressed Weber.

Definitely would have been a different game if Weber and Tropp were in. Instead we had Grags out there cream-puffing around and Kaleta being afraid of getting suspended, which is basically HIS F*CKING JOB.

MAG/Sekera: These two are pretty interchangeable IMO. Pick one and dress him; sit the other so Weber can play. I know that MAG has to be on the roster for a certain number of games (55 comes to mind) for the Sabres to have the benefit of RFA status next year; does that mean that he needs to play those games, or just be on the roster?

Kaleta: This is exactly why a lot of us feared his career would be short-lived. He's one-dimensional, the league is on him now, and he's going to be basically ineffective for the next eighteen months.

Tropp: I know the vote was overwhelmingly in his favor in the Tropp/Ellis poll. I realize that he'll not see the ice time in Buffalo that he sees in Rochester, but dammit, we need this guy here NOW. Ellis is a placeholder. The Arabs had a word for "placeholder" in mathematics...

Good LORD...it's November and the team is 10 and 6. 10-6!!! And you'd think they were 2-14. Some of the fans are just brutal and very very illogical.

TPEGS raised expectations and the Yes after 15 games you can get a good feel of a teams strengths and weaknesses. The Sabres at this point need more sand and grit especially on D. Adam needs to step up his physical play on offense. A big guy that needs to assert himself. Though I think that is starting to come, you saw it late against the Bruins as he started to get chippy, he is still learning and I like his effort. The veterans have no excuse. I hope this is a wake up call for the D, but I am afraid there are limits that Grags and Sekera cannot overcome.

MAG/Sekera: These two are pretty interchangeable IMO. Pick one and dress him; sit the other so Weber can play. I know that MAG has to be on the roster for a certain number of games (55 comes to mind) for the Sabres to have the benefit of RFA status next year; does that mean that he needs to play those games, or just be on the roster?

Kaleta: This is exactly why a lot of us feared his career would be short-lived. He's one-dimensional, the league is on him now, and he's going to be basically ineffective for the next eighteen months.

Tropp: I know the vote was overwhelmingly in his favor in the Tropp/Ellis poll. I realize that he'll not see the ice time in Buffalo that he sees in Rochester, but dammit, we need this guy here NOW. Ellis is a placeholder. The Arabs had a word for "placeholder" in mathematics...

Agreed but bring up Tropp for Ellis and I hate to say this, but sit Kaleta, and bring in Kassian. I did like Staffords efforts, but it is still unconscionable that Lucic was not dropped...

Someone please answer this question...keeping in mind that Peters and Mair are gone and Kaleta could do little coming off of a suspension (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/article631002.ece).

It sure would have been nice to have kept Tropp in the lineup and to have dressed Weber.

Why is it that Kaleta couldn't do anything because of the suspension? So he get suspended again, so what? He's frigging Pat Kaleta. He should have been all over Tim Thomas. Where was Cody McCormick? Another useless part. Matt Ellis dressed, another easily replaced roster spot. The Sabres had many expendable players that they could have thrown at Tim Thomas. IMO, the lack of response lays 100% on Lindy Ruff.

Did I hear that Pominville actual said that part of the reason they didn;t respond was that they thought they were getting a 5 min power-play? If they knew it was only 2 they would have done more? This is the play that wears the 'C'. :doh:

Why is it that Kaleta couldn't do anything because of the suspension? So he get suspended again, so what? He's frigging Pat Kaleta. He should have been all over Tim Thomas. Where was Cody McCormick? Another useless part. Matt Ellis dressed, another easily replaced roster spot. The Sabres had many expendable players that they could have thrown at Tim Thomas. IMO, the lack of response lays 100% on Lindy Ruff.

Did I hear that Pominville actual said that part of the reason they didn;t respond was that they thought they were getting a 5 min power-play? If they knew it was only 2 they would have done more? This is the play that wears the 'C'. :doh:

Kaleta: Read the article.

McCormick: I have no idea where he was (didn't see the game), but you're right, he should have done something. Did he also not try to do anything?

Pominville: Actually, that's smart, especially since there was no real chance for meaningful retribution immediately after the play anyway (see my post on the replay, above). But what about the rest of the freaking game? Especially when it became obvious that it would be a loss!

McCormick's face is a mess, can't fight right now. I give him a pass. Too many stiches, but if that was going to be the case, the Sabres should have brought up someone and sat McCormick if only for this game.

With Chara and Boychuk on the ice no way Goose was getting to Lucic immediately after the play.

Anywho .... McNabb, Foligno, Kassian, and Tropp have a future here.

I would love to see the bottom 2 lines comprised of a mix of these guys and our current "energy" people. Send them out there for blood.

You know what I can't wait for... this years draft where we will take another puck moving defender or finesse type of winger... thats all we have drafted for a decade now <_<

They should bench 2 or 3 of our players and bring up McNabb and Kassian. At this point I am disillusioned enough with this team to believe that we need to make a trade. Somethings gotta give.

Archived