GDT: Sabres at Bruins 11/12/11 7:00PM

spndnchz

Jeez. Team Stormcloud has really taken over.

I think the Sabres are going to come out hard, battle for pucks, not back down in any confrontation and get a win.

I don't think they will run Tim Thomas or take obvious cheap shots at Lucic. But Kaleta and others will try to line him up during the ordinary flow of the game.

I would love nothing more than for Buffalo to come out tough and win some physical confrontations and show Boston they won't be bullied. But I don't see it happening, especially with the players we have out with injuries.

Anyone that thinks Buffalo can win a war with Boston wasn't paying attention to what Boston did to Montreal in their last 3-4 games together last season. Montreal tried their damndest to stand up to Boston's thuggery and every Hab that did was beaten down. And let's not forget the coup de grace to the whole mess that Chara laid on Pacciorety (sp?). Boston has a depth of toughness and nasty that we cannot hope to match. Getting into a gloves off war with Boston will end badly. If it happens, I see alot of beaten Sabres and a lopsided score against us.

As much as I'd like a measure of blood extracted from Boston, we just don't have the horses to make it happen.

I expect alot of bluff and bluster and post-whistle scrums that don't go anywhere. I expect Kaleta will play his normal game and not do anything beyond his ordinary. And I expect a close checking game, at least for the 1st two periods. And I will be surprised if Buffalo has the higher score at the end of the game. Boston is hot right now, we have key injuries, and Boston will play it cool unless we initiate. I expect Boston will be loose and we'll be anxious and self-conscious.

I want to see the Sabres do whatever they can to kick the crap out of the Bruins. Heck, bring Kassian up just to fight/agitate someone if you need to. Hurt Thomas, do whatever you can to make them leave Buffalo with their tails between their legs.

Kassian is not being brought up, and the Sabres toughest player(McCormick) is injured. Prepared to be disappointed if this is what you are expecting.

I would love nothing more than for Buffalo to come out tough and win some physical confrontations and show Boston they won't be bullied. But I don't see it happening, especially with the players we have out with injuries.

Anyone that thinks Buffalo can win a war with Boston wasn't paying attention to what Boston did to Montreal in their last 3-4 games together last season. Montreal tried their damndest to stand up to Boston's thuggery and every Hab that did was beaten down. And let's not forget the coup de grace to the whole mess that Chara laid on Pacciorety (sp?). Boston has a depth of toughness and nasty that we cannot hope to match. Getting into a gloves off war with Boston will end badly. If it happens, I see alot of beaten Sabres and a lopsided score against us.

As much as I'd like a measure of blood extracted from Boston, we just don't have the horses to make it happen.

I expect alot of bluff and bluster and post-whistle scrums that don't go anywhere. I expect Kaleta will play his normal game and not do anything beyond his ordinary. And I expect a close checking game, at least for the 1st two periods. And I will be surprised if Buffalo has the higher score at the end of the game. Boston is hot right now, we have key injuries, and Boston will play it cool unless we initiate. I expect Boston will be loose and we'll be anxious and self-conscious.

This is totally spot-on and exactly what I am thinking. I think this is BY FAR the most likely scenario tomorrow. Your last line in particular sums it up.

Some great points.

To me the Sabres are the wimpy kid in school with a 3 o'clock appointment with the bully by the flag pole. You know they don't want to show but they have to show because it's all the other kids in school have been talking about.

Even if the Sabres wanted any type of retribution, which I seriously doubt, they just don't have the man power to effectively send a message to the Bruins or the NHL.

Some great points.

To me the Sabres are the wimpy kid in school with a 3 o'clock appointment with the bully by the flag pole. You know they don't want to show but they have to show because it's all the other kids in school have been talking about.

Even if the Sabres wanted any type of retribution, which I seriously doubt, they just don't have the man power to effectively send a message to the Bruins or the NHL.

Maybe the Sabres will be like that kid in "A Christmas Story" and go totally apes#%t on the bully and surprise eveybody, including themselves, when they bloody the Bruins' noses and make them cry for their Mamas!

This is called magical thinking, and it ain't gonna happen. You are correct in your assessment, Mr. DeLuca!

Maybe the Sabres will be like that kid in "A Christmas Story" and go totally apes#%t on the bully and surprise eveybody, including themselves, when they bloody the Bruins' noses and make them cry for their Mamas!

This is called magical thinking, and it ain't gonna happen. You are correct in your assessment, Mr. DeLuca!

I wish they'd be like the kid who stood up to the bully but I think the closest the Sabres will get to resembling anything in "A Christmas Story" will be if one of them gets his tongue stuck on one of the goal posts.

GO SABRES!!!

I wish they'd be like the kid who stood up to the bully but I think the closest the Sabres will get to resembling anything in "A Christmas Story" will be if one of them gets his tongue stuck on one of the goal posts.

GO SABRES!!!

Nice!

I would have just gone with Sabres' tongue licking pole......but then again I thrive in the chaos of ambiguity....

Some great points.

Do you really need the manpower to get retribution, though? In a fair fight, absolutely, the Sabres would lose. But isn't it really about crossing the line? Lucic saw an opportunity to cross the line and he took it. No one on the sabres is willing to cross that line.

I'm being completely honest when I say that if someone had crosschecked Lucic across the face and broken his jaw after he hit Miller, I would have been fine with it and think the league would not have even punished it that harshly either. I bet that person would have gotten a game misconduct and a two game suspension at most (less than Kaleta got for a headbutt).

We don't have anybody who is willing to cross that line into nasty and I think it would go a long way. They don't have to be big or good fighters, they just have to be nasty and want to hurt someone.

Do you really need the manpower to get retribution, though? In a fair fight, absolutely, the Sabres would lose. But isn't it really about crossing the line? Lucic saw an opportunity to cross the line and he took it. No one on the sabres is willing to cross that line.

I'm being completely honest when I say that if someone had crosschecked Lucic across the face and broken his jaw after he hit Miller, I would have been fine with it and think the league would not have even punished it that harshly either. I bet that person would have gotten a game misconduct and a two game suspension at most (less than Kaleta got for a headbutt).

We don't have anybody who is willing to cross that line into nasty and I think it would go a long way. They don't have to be big or good fighters, they just have to be nasty and want to hurt someone.

I disagree. I think that if the Sabres got retribution, then Shanny would have suspended the crap out of them.

We currently don't have the type of player with a win at all cost mentality. IMO Boston has several if not more. When they put that team together they purposefully looked for players with that type of make-up. Darcy looked for guys that had offensive flair and would help the little old lady cross the street. We need those type of characters that would punch grandma in the lip to get at a second helping of the mashed potatoes. When they were 3 years old. Those kids grow up to be Chris Pronger. Those kids grow up to be chara or Boychuck. Or Lucic whom I would love in the blue and gold. If we had that type of character sprinkled throughout our lineup everyone on the team would play bigger and meaner regardless if they actually were bigger or meaner. Thats how you wear an opponent down in the war of attrition known as the playoffs. Until we add that element imo we will not win the cup. Which is all that matters and if Tpegs is serious about getting there he'll need some of this sandpaper on the team. Not pretty boys.

Even the Sabres supposed "tough guys", why say "tough guys" when we know it's only McCormick, don't have that mentality. McCormick's role is to take a beating for the team, he is not capable of giving one.

The Sabres don't have a player on the roster willing to do what is necessary. If they did they would have done something when it happened. All that is happening now is you have a Sabres team that was embarrassed hockey world wide, their lack of response even made PTI. The Sabres would like nothing more than to sweep this under the rug and have everyone forget it ever happened.

This roster is void of any really toughness outside of Regehr and a game McCormick. It is a roster that doesn't even like to throw a hit and some fans are expecting more tonight.

Kaleta is willing to cross that line to win. Hell, I think he crosses the line for kicks. The problem is, noone is going to want to face Lucic when his broken jaw heals and there is noone on the team that would effectively have the jaw breakers back. Remember the multiple instance of payback that Claude Lemieux recieved at the hands of Detroit? Anyone that injures a Bruin at this point can expect that sort of response in return. And no Sabre would be able to prevent it. There aren't many in the entire league with that kind of crazy in them.

Archived