2011-12 Prediction Thread

Claude_Verret

Am I the only one that believes in bad juju?

No such thing. You already know this, but as a man of science I assure you that nothing said or done by Sabres fans here or anywhere else has one ounce of impact on anything that happens on the ice. It's just a fun exercise to look back on at the end of the season, nothing more or less.

Time for everyone to go on record before the first puck drop.

1.) Sabres points division/ conference finish / playoff finish (if applicable)

2.) Sabres leader in goals & points

3.) Stanley Cup finals prediction

4.) Any other NHL/Sabres prediction(s) you feel like making

Sabres: 102 pts. 2nd NE divison / 4th in conference / lose in ECF

Vanek: 39 goals Roy: 78 points

SC: Capitals vs. Red Wings. Red Wings in 6.

Enroth will play 30+ games.

1. Sabres with 95 points, 2nd in division, 7th in conference, loss in ECF.

2. Stafford with 34 goals; Leino with 68 assists.

3. Hmmmmmm I'll take Vancouver over Philly in 7 games.

4. Brygalov wins most games in the NHL; Detroit finished 6th or lower in the Western Conference; Sabres trade a young defenseman at the deadline.

1.) 51-21-10 112 pts, Presidents Cup

2.) Vanek 40 Goals Roy 85 Pts

3.) Buffalo, Game 7 victory in SCF over Chicago on FNC Ice!!!

4.) Sabres will have a decent, not great first half as the new pieces get acclimated to the roster. After the all-star break, the Sabres will go on a tear. TP/DR go after a number 1 center at the deadline, and trade for Spezza. (I realize that I blatently sound like a homer, but I am what I am.)

*Tim Thomas regresses, and Boston barely makes playoffs

*Crosby plays less than 20 games

*Adam Larsson wins Calder

*Miller wins Vezina and Conn Smythe

*Vanek is first Austrian captain to hoist the Cup

*Toews wins the Hart Trophy

*Stamkos wins Richard

*Malkin wins Ross

Sabres win Division with 97 points.

Goal Leader: Stafford, 33

Points Leader: Leino, 76 (22g, 54a)

SC Washington vs Chicago, Washington breaks through..

Boston does not make playoffs after losing Thomas, Lucic and Bergeron to significant injury time.

Bonus: Columbus makes playoffs....

Sabres win Division with 97 points.

Goal Leader: Stafford, 33

Points Leader: Leino, 89

SC Washington vs Chicago, Washington breaks through..

Boston does not make playoffs after losing Thomas, Lucic and Bergeron to significant injury time.

Bonus: Columbus makes playoffs....

This franchise has a significant opportunity to gain fans this year since the other professional sports team in that city is having a terrible season and is about to get smacked with significant sanctions from the NCAA.

I still don't get the cane hate. It was one series.

I don't know if we necessarily hate the Canes more than anyone else. However, I go to see the Sabres in NC every year. (I have friends down there) From my experience, they hate us far more than we hate them. I never, and still don't understand it.

I don't know if we necessarily hate the Canes more than anyone else. However, I go to see the Sabres in NC every year. (I have friends down there) From my experience, they hate us far more than we hate them. I never, and still don't understand it.

Who are people that don't really know me that have made snide or derogatory comments to me when they find out I'm a Sabres fan?

My orthopedic surgeon (just before going under the knife)

My ophthalmologist

Three mothers of kids on my sons t-ball team that I coached (one actually never said another word to me the rest of the year when she found out)

the attorney I used to prepare my will

the prinicpal at my sons school

dozens, probably approaching one hundred strangers at gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants etc..

The hate is definitely stronger coming from their side, and like someone else said I don't really hate the Canes as a franchise like I do the Leafs, Flyers and Bruins, but I can't stand their fans.

1.) Sabres points division/ conference finish / playoff finish (if applicable)

1) 103pt 2nd in division (Boston tops us with 104) / 4th in conference /

2) Vanek with 41goals and 89pts

3) Sabres beat Chicago in 6 games

4) Leino gets 60+ pts and so does Ennis

1 - 105 points/1st division/2nd conference

2 - Vanek 40 Vanek 81

3 - Buffalo over San Jose in 7 games(The end of a dream year in Pegula's 1st full season...I know, wishful thinking)

- Kassian plays ZERO games with the Sabres in 11-12, but finishes with 20 goals and 25 assists in the AHL.

- Enroth does NOT get the 20 starts most believe he should in order to get Miller some rest.

- Gerbe & Ennis both avoid sophomore slumps.

- Stafford scores 30 again.

- Sabres MVP - Vanek

- Amerks MVP - Schiestel

1.) Sabres points 101

division/ 1st conference finish / 3rd

Vanek 38 g 31 a 69 pts

Chicago

7 Sabres will hit 20 goals. Vanek, Stafford, Pominville, Boyes, Ennis, Adam, Erhoff

Toronto will continue the streak of playoff misses.

Am I the only one that believes in bad juju?

I do.. so here's my absolute worst case prediction instead!

- Team absolutely fails to gel, and proceeds to end season at 0-65-17 for a miserable 17 points.

- Miller and Enroth combine for the first ever zero-win season.

- By the Xmas break the players on the team only communicate with each other by grunting and complex hand gestures.

- At puckdrop on Game 1 the management group disappear until Game 82, saying "Our work here is done".

There, that was easy!

Who are people that don't really know me that have made snide or derogatory comments to me when they find out I'm a Sabres fan?

My orthopedic surgeon (just before going under the knife)

My ophthalmologist

Three mothers of kids on my sons t-ball team that I coached (one actually never said another word to me the rest of the year when she found out)

the attorney I used to prepare my will

the prinicpal at my sons school

dozens, probably approaching one hundred strangers at gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants etc..

The hate is definitely stronger coming from their side, and like someone else said I don't really hate the Canes as a franchise like I do the Leafs, Flyers and Bruins, but I can't stand their fans.

Claude I echo the same feelings. So many folks will say oh I used to like you than realized your a sabres fan.

1.) Sabres points: 98

division: 2nd

conference: 5th

Vanek 42 g

Roy 73 pts (really want to say Leino)

Buffalo over Los Angeles

Buffalo gets rolling after December

Sabres trade for a Center before the deadline.

Miller is a Vezina finalist

Team Stormcloud and Team Fuzzykittens all end up wearing the same sweater, but each thinks the other has crossed to their side.

TPegs repels down from the rafters dressed as Sabretooth.

I hate the Canes. I don't consider them a "rival" team or what have you, but yeah, I hate them. They beat us fairly, sure, but that doesn't mean the better team won. I know it's just excuses but seriously 4, 5 of our starting defensemen out? anAny time Rory Fitzpatrick, Doug Janik, Jeff Jilsond Nathan Paetsch are on the same d-core, your team should start with a three goal handicap. And to be up 2-1 going into the third period.... then a fluke deflection goal and it all fell apart. It hurt. It hurt bad. For me, it hurt worse than '99, because I was only 9 years at the time and though I watched Sabres games all the time, I wasn't as emotionally attached back then. 05-06 was their first shot at glory that I was old enough to appreciate and I am still bitter of the way it ended. Give me Jay McKee or Tim Connolly in Game 7 and Buffalo wins the cup that year.

The loss to Carolina stings way more than the loss to Ottawa the following year to me... don't know what it was, but in 05-06 beating Ottawa in that playoff series sealed it for me. We had gone back and forth with them all season until Vanek scored that around the world shot on Hasek to win their last meeting of the regular season in a shootout.

In 06-07 I pretty much knew we didn't stand a chance vs Ottawa. We got manhandled all season and we got manhandled even worse in the playoffs

I'm not following any prescribed pattern. Here is what I believe will happen this year:

1. Crosby will only play for a short time (2-3 weeks) and then won't play the rest of the season

2. Boston will take the NE division

3. San Jose will play Philadelphia for the Cup...SJ wins

4. Carolina will make the playoffs

5. So will St. Louis

6. Montreal will miss the playoffs, finish 3rd in the NE division

7. Perry doesn't come close to last year's numbers

8. Boston doesn't come out of the first round of the playoffs

I've got more, but that's enough for now.

There is a team fuzzykittens? AWESOME!!!!!!

I'm the equipment manager for team Fuzzykittens.

MY PREDICTIONS:

Sabres amass 103 points which is good enough for 3rd in the Eastern Conference.

The Sabres will AT THE VERY LEAST win a playoff series.

Ehrhoff and Leino tear it up.

Vanek leads the team in goals(37) and points(81).

I buy a Leino Jersey.

Happy hockey day everyone-

1.) Sabres 102 points, Northeast champions, 3rd in conference

2.) Sabres goal leader: Stafford: 36, Point leader: Roy 91

3.) Pittsburgh vs. San Jose. Pens in 7.

4.) Other predictions-

MVP: Steven Stamkos

Vezina: Ryan Miller

Norris: Brent Burns

Selke: Pawel Datsyuk

Rookie: Mark Scheifele

Coach: Davis Payne

[...stuff not relevant to my reply...]

Team Stormcloud and Team Fuzzykittens all end up wearing the same sweater, but each thinks the other has crossed to their side.

[...more stuff not relevant to my reply...]

There is a team fuzzykittens? AWESOME!!!!!!

I think the official name is The Sunshine and Kitten Crew. I had suggested to SDS that there be a point-counter point blog on the site pitting a few members from each on a specific topic each week:

Team Stormcloud vs. The Sunshine Kitten Crew. Edited and streamlined, these debates would be great reading, even for the non-discussion board member visitors to the site. Obviously the editor would pick the contributers based on the topic as the two "teams" are not completely monolithic in their viewpoints.

I still think it's a good idea.

Archived