NHL realignment

Buffalo Wings

Don't think the league wants to change format much, CBJ en DET are bickering the most about going east, i can see the league deciding that both of them stay in the west. and they'll move nashville into the atlanta spot. nashville makes alot of sense logistically, and won't a real shake up like detroit would be. When two dogs fight over a bone ...

they'll might accomodate dallas by moving vancouver into their pacific spot, to allow dallas to play against more central timezone teams.

Don't think the league wants to change format much, CBJ en DET are bickering the most about going east, i can see the league deciding that both of them stay in the west. and they'll move nashville into the atlanta spot. nashville makes alot of sense logistically, and won't a real shake up like detroit would be. When two dogs fight over a bone ...

they'll might accomodate dallas by moving vancouver into their pacific spot, to allow dallas to play against more central timezone teams.

Maybe Nashville and Detroit per NHL.com

If they put detroit in the East then they should change the playoff format that division winners get the top spots. Also maybe even looking at not splitting the teams based on conference but based on points. I think it would be ridiculously unfair to the eastern conference.

Maybe Nashville and Detroit per NHL.com

EJ's analysis here seems to make the most sense, assuming six five-team divisions still:

NSH to Southeast Division

DAL to Central Division (now DAL DET CHI STL CBJ)

VAN to Pacific Division (now VAN SJS LA ANA PHX)

WPG to Northwest Division (now CGY EDM MIN WPG COL)

This works very well geographically. However, apparently MIN pushing is strongly to get into the Central Division, and Detroit is pushing strongly to get into the Eastern Conference (saw a report somewhere upthread that the NHL had "promised" to accommodate?).

However, I really think this is all quite moot anyway, considering Phoenix's probable relocation sometime soon.

EJ's analysis here seems to make the most sense, assuming six five-team divisions still:

This works very well geographically. However, apparently MIN pushing is strongly to get into the Central Division, and Detroit is pushing strongly to get into the Eastern Conference (saw a report somewhere upthread that the NHL had "promised" to accommodate?).

However, I really think this is all quite moot anyway, considering Phoenix's probable relocation sometime soon.

It all still works if Phoenix moves to Vegas.

I agree with those moves and can't understand how a team like Vancouver is not in the Pacific seeing as how they are one of the closest teams to the pacific ocean!

Those moves work the best geographically until a final decision is made with Phoenix

One league, like the English Premiership. Each year the top 16 teams make the playoffs, and the bottom four play each other in a single elimination tournament for the #1 Draft pick. Format: Both Semifinals on Wednesday, Finals on Thursday. Two day tourney while the playoff teams rest and lick their wounds getting ready for playoff action. Winner gets the pick, the losers get put in the lottery with everyone else.

While it reduces the value of divisions/conferences - perhaps just take the top 16 teams

It's virtually impossible to create a balanced schedule with that format. The conference/division structure at least allows for similar schedules within each division.

One league, like the English Premiership. Each year the top 16 teams make the playoffs, and the bottom four play each other in a single elimination tournament for the #1 Draft pick. Format: Both Semifinals on Wednesday, Finals on Thursday. Two day tourney while the playoff teams rest and lick their wounds getting ready for playoff action. Winner gets the pick, the losers get put in the lottery with everyone else.

Might as well relegate the bottom three into the AHL and promote the AHL top each year. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Promotion_and_relegation

• 2 weeks later...

Detroit to the NE division

Boston to Atlantic

Devils to Southeast

Jets to Central

would make for some fun times methinks and might even make that pathetic southeast division... slightly less pathetic? Maybe if the Devils stop sucking

Also I did the devils down because I would never split pitts/philly rivalry and I think the Devils/Rangers rivalry is less important and they would still play 4 times a year anyhow

According to Darren Dreger (video linked out of this Puck Daddy post - http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/The-Detroit-Red-Wings-8217-realignment-concess?urn=nhl-wp14717) the Wings may concede to staying in the West IF the schedule is made so that they go out to the West coast fewer times. As much as Detroit has taken one for the team and probably deserves to move back East, Columbus is in DEEP trouble and could be saved by moving to the East. So throwing the Wings a bone to keep them in the West might be the best thing.

According to Darren Dreger (video linked out of this Puck Daddy post - http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/The-Detroit-Red-Wings-8217-realignment-concess?urn=nhl-wp14717) the Wings may concede to staying in the West IF the schedule is made so that they go out to the West coast fewer times. As much as Detroit has taken one for the team and probably deserves to move back East, Columbus is in DEEP trouble and could be saved by moving to the East. So throwing the Wings a bone to keep them in the West might be the best thing.

interesting... if that happens then Columbus to Atlantic and jersey to southeast or people just say Columbus to southeast? (Winnipeg gets the central)

interesting... if that happens then Columbus to Atlantic and jersey to southeast or people just say Columbus to southeast? (Winnipeg gets the central)

I am sure Columbus would go to the Southeast ... NJ is not exactly rolling in cash now either so the more games against the Rangers and Flyers and Pens where visiting fans may roll in the better.

As for Winnipeg, Dallas covets that spot in the Central too because they are in a division with all pacific time zone teams. Winnipeg would be OK moving to the Northwest I am sure with the old Smythe Division rivalries ... then you have to move Vancouver or Colorado to the Pacific to replace Dallas. Vancouver makes sense on a map, but the Canadian rivalries are big, and Denver fans are used to being in divisions with West Coast teams ... so I would mover the Avs.

Buffalo, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Boston, Detroit, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh

New York, New York, New Jersey, Washington, Carolina, Florida, Tampa Bay

Hahaha stack the Northeast.... can you imagine that division, wow. It actually makes SOME sense...

Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Colorado, Minnesota, Chicago

Columbus, Nashville, St. Louis, Dallas, Anaheim, San Jose, Los Angeles, Phoenix

PERSONALLY, I'd just move Nashville to the Southeast and move Winnipeg to the Central. Then leave it alone.

Detroit to the NE division

Boston to Atlantic

Devils to Southeast

Jets to Central

And split up Boston and Montreal? Good luck with that...

PERSONALLY, I'd just move Nashville to the Southeast and move Winnipeg to the Central. Then leave it alone.

Seemed to me like the easiest way to go, especially if they're anticipating more movement (PHX) soon.

The return of the Winnipeg Jets to the NHL will create a ripple effect throughout the league with a dramatic realignment for the 2012-13 season as a result, multiple media outlets have reported.

With Western Conference teams Detroit, Nashville and Columbus hoping to be relocated to the East, the NHL has opted to realign the entire league rather than shifting Winnipeg, according to the Sporting News.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/feed/2011-08/nhl-realignment/story/nhl-realignment-red-wings-east-jets-west-three-conference

if only one simple switch is made, i think Nashville coming to the southeast division makes the most sense. but there are many teams who are not in the right divisions geographically and the league could take this time to dramatically alter division alignment. they could opt for two divisions in each of two conferences or three super divisions/conference for the entire league.

With Western Conference teams Detroit, Nashville and Columbus hoping to be relocated to the East, the NHL has opted to realign the entire league rather than shifting Winnipeg, according to the Sporting News.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/feed/2011-08/nhl-realignment/story/nhl-realignment-red-wings-east-jets-west-three-conference

Maybe I am having reading comprehension issues this morning, but where in the article does it state what I bolded from your post? The whole 3 conference system is nothing more than what the writer is proposing.

Maybe I am having reading comprehension issues this morning, but where in the article does it state what I bolded from your post? The whole 3 conference system is nothing more than what the writer is proposing.

No you're right I read the same thing and thought wtf.

Archived