NHL realignment

Buffalo Wings

I'd like to personally welcome Florida and Tampa Bay into the 'division'. With the first two playoff games and 'playoff races' comming out of this division of 7 teams, we will really start to hate these other 6 cities (more than we already do).

http://tracking.si.c...alignment-plan/

Looks like 4 conferences....

conferences will be

1. Washington, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, both New York teams (Islanders and Rangers), New Jersey and Carolina.

2. Columbus, Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis and Winnipeg.

3. Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Boston, Buffalo, Florida and Tampa Bay and the final conference

4. San Jose, Anaheim, Vancouver, Colorado, Edmonton, Calgary, Los Angeles and Phoenix.

And i heard that if Phoenix moves they will probably go to Quebec and will be the same division as buff, tor, bos etc...

Nhl.com says it's pretty much a done deal. Will be interesting next year......

http://www.nhl.com/i...vid=DL|NHL|home

The three northern most teams in the East are in the same Division as the two southern most teams? That makes less sense than putting Pittsburgh in a division with the New York teams when the Bruins are right there? Maybe the people making the decision haven't heard that NY and Boston have a little sports rivalry going.

The three northern most teams in the East are in the same Division as the two southern most teams? That makes less sense than putting Pittsburgh in a division with the New York teams when the Bruins are right there? Maybe the people making the decision haven't heard that NY and Boston have a little sports rivalry going.

Ontario and Quebec need to send their people to S.Fla during the winter and F up all the roads. It's a perfect fit.

My friends in Miami cringe when I speak so well of Canada.

* Boston, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo, Florida and Tampa Bay ......done deal.

First thought: Love it! All the other ideas I saw had us in the same division as Detroit and Pittsburgh.....ensuring that we'd never win the division ever again. I've always liked the Lightning and Panthers so it'd be cool to have them in the division.

Also love that they're pushing FOUR conferences. I assume this means the first two playoff rounds in intra-conference. We could be playing a West Coast team in the 3rd round and that's pretty cool.

I like the idea of teams from any four conferences meeting in the finals. That could be real fun. Imagine a Buffalo - Philly rematch?

Exaclty, we are going to get some serious rivalries within the division and we can still meet any team (sans the other six in our conference) in the finals.

I don't like this doing away w/ the East vs. West Conference in the Stanley Cup. We're going to see repetitive first/second round play and that bothers me. I was looking forward to realignment, but this is ridiculous I alway felt there'd be an Eastern and Western Conference in present day hockey. I don't like the idea of that being broken up.

I don't like this doing away w/ the East vs. West Conference in the Stanley Cup. We're going to see repetitive first/second round play and that bothers me. I was looking forward to realignment, but this is ridiculous I alway felt there'd be an Eastern and Western Conference in present day hockey. I don't like the idea of that being broken up.

IMO I love the fact that there will be repetitive first/second round matchups. There are very few teams in the league today that I have a personal passion about. Most of the games I'm indifferent in the opposition and just hope we win because I like the Sabres. It's usually in the playoffs that rivalries are born and I for one am looking forward to having a few more teams I absolutely despise. Think Bills Fish when the Bills were actually relavent.

It is official from TSN: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=382065

26 teams voted yes for the new 4 conference setup that is most likely going to be implemented next season.

Our new Conference: "The existing Northeast division would be expanded to include the league's two Florida-based teams, making a conference of: Boston, Buffalo, Florida, Montreal, Ottawa, Tampa Bay and Toronto."

It is official from TSN: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=382065

26 teams voted yes for the new 4 conference setup that is most likely going to be implemented next season.

Our new Conference: "The existing Northeast division would be expanded to include the league's two Florida-based teams, making a conference of: Boston, Buffalo, Florida, Montreal, Ottawa, Tampa Bay and Toronto."

The nice part is that if we ever figure out how to play at home, we'll have home ice advantage two more places in our conference.

hmmm would prefer that come playoff time #1 vs #4 and #2 vs #3 would come from different eastern conferences , instead of keeping it within conference.

this format does give more flexibility if phoenix would relocate, and maybe gives room for expansion to 32 teams.

eastern teams will have to play 4 games more then western teams though. 88 vs 84

eastern teams play vs western teams 2 x times so those 32 games + 14 games vs other eastern conference. 46 games + 42 games within its conference.

western teams play vs eastern teams 2x times so those 28 games + 16 games vs other western conference. 44 games + 40 games within its conference.

IMO I love the fact that there will be repetitive first/second round matchups. There are very few teams in the league today that I have a personal passion about. Most of the games I'm indifferent in the opposition and just hope we win because I like the Sabres. It's usually in the playoffs that rivalries are born and I for one am looking forward to having a few more teams I absolutely despise. Think Bills Fish when the Bills were actually relavent.

Me too. There was a real reason to feel a rivalry with Boston, and Montreal, even Hartford and Quebec, back in the day.

Me too. There was a real reason to feel a rivalry with Boston, and Montreal, even Hartford and Quebec, back in the day.

This has been my point all along. The years I recall most fondly for the fan experience were the years when each division game meant something real. Each time we played Boston, Montreal, Quebec, and Hartford playoff seeding was on the line. The games were that much more intense. Add in hard feelings from previous playoff indiscretions and it was an emotional mix that made for great entertainment.

I say, "well done NHL, you;ve brought team rivalries back".

It was kind of repetitive before anyways... The new format looks amazing.

Overall I like it, but I would've rather seen someone other than the 2 Florida teams moving into our division. Selfishly, I wanted Carolina moved into ours so I could catch more games and possibly playoff games in Raleigh but I'm also scratching my head that the NHL didn't take the opportunity to swap Boston and someone like Pittsburgh to strike up the whole NY/Boston rivalry as DeLuca mentioned.

Archived