F'N...tastic Fridays....

Andrew Amerk

Well, because the complaint thread isn't open, here's the positives, which are what you should always try to focus on.

I got into a helluva accident this morning. My car might be totaled. Guy in front of me lost control on the highway at a really dangerous spot (390/590 northbound split in rochester), I had nowhere to get around him, he weaved in front of me, I lost control too, we slammed together and spun off the side.

The f'n fantastic part is that almost immediately some brave/kind souls pulled over and helped divert traffic until we could get our cars out of the road a bit. One was a paramedic, the other some great guy in a knee brace. D4rk lost most of his work day helping shuttle me around and sit in waiting rooms while I messed with insurance, urgent care, getting scrips (yay muscle relaxers) and getting a rental car. Seriously, whatta guy.

Physically everyone walked away. Which is great. I have heavy drugs, which is great. I have insurance and the whole thing didn't become a horrible pileup, which is great. No citations were issued at the time either, so that's probably great too. Not looking forward to the car shuffle game if it's totaled (it's a lease in Ohio). But step at a time.

Take it easy out there, even if it looks clear. When it's this cold, ###### freezes. And yeesh, be grateful- things really change fast and sometimes it takes a scary car accident to remind you of that.

Edited by Josie914

Well, because the complaint thread isn't open, here's the positives, which are what you should always try to focus on.

I got into a helluva accident this morning. My car might be totaled. Guy in front of me lost control on the highway at a really dangerous spot (390/590 northbound split in rochester), I had nowhere to get around him, he weaved in front of me, I lost control too, we slammed together and spun off the side.

The f'n fantastic part is that almost immediately some brave/kind souls pulled over and helped divert traffic until we could get our cars out of the road a bit. One was a paramedic, the other some great guy in a knee brace. D4rk lost most of his work day helping shuttle me around and sit in waiting rooms while I messed with insurance, urgent care, getting scrips (yay muscle relaxers) and getting a rental car. Seriously, whatta guy.

Physically everyone walked away. Which is great. I have heavy drugs, which is great. I have insurance and the whole thing didn't become a horrible pileup, which is great. No citations were issued at the time either, so that's probably great too. Not looking forward to the car shuffle game if it's totaled (it's a lease in Ohio). But step at a time.

Take it easy out there, even if it looks clear. When it's this cold, ###### freezes. And yeesh, be grateful- things really change fast and sometimes it takes a scary car accident to remind you of that.

Yowza -- glad to hear all were (relatively) unharmed. Take it easy this weekend and enjoy those muscle relaxers!

Even though the snow wasn't too bad here, I had the rare option (which I exercised) to work from home today. And tomorrow evening my friend and I are finally going snowboarding for the first time this season, which should be excellent given the recent weather (even if it is crowded). Bring on the weekend!

That d4rk dude always looking for ways out of work. ;) Glad to hear your ok. I wish I could enjoy pills, just make me nauseous.

Ithaca finally got some snow...just in time for it to melt.

The puppy my girlfriend and I just adopted LOVES the snow, so just having it for a day for him to play in is great. He can burn some of the energy that he hasn't been able to with the low temps lately. As a pitbull, with the short hair, he doesn't like being outside for long if it's around zero.

Apologies because it's gross, but I finally got the tooth shrapnel out of my gums last night. Holy cow, what a relief... was like having an ingrown toenail in your mouth. Not sure how the dentist/surgeon missed a piece that size during the extraction, but glad it's gone and hopefully that was the last one so my gums can finish filling back in where the molar was.

Apologies because it's gross, but I finally got the tooth shrapnel out of my gums last night. Holy cow, what a relief... was like having an ingrown toenail in your mouth. Not sure how the dentist/surgeon missed a piece that size during the extraction, but glad it's gone and hopefully that was the last one so my gums can finish filling back in where the molar was.

I keep having this mental image of your mouth looking like one of the gross out realistic scenes from Ren & Stimpy or something. Especially when you said "ingrown toenail in your mouth". Glad it's out and you can feel better now!

It's Friday. Not sure I should be going to work with my foul fowl plague, but I have to get some files figured out. Then when everyone stops working early to party, I'm going home, drawing a hot bath with lavender, and glutting on Twin Peaks on Netflix.

Did you really pull a stray piece of bone out of your jaw with tweezers? That's badass

Did you really pull a stray piece of bone out of your jaw with tweezers? That's badass

Combination of tweezers and toothpick, but yeah. :) And lol Jo on the Ren and Stimpy reference!

I almost took a pic of the piece after because I was oddly proud of myself for doing it, but I figured no one else would want to see that, lol.

Combination of tweezers and toothpick, but yeah. :) And lol Jo on the Ren and Stimpy reference!

I almost took a pic of the piece after because I was oddly proud of myself for doing it, but I figured no one else would want to see that, lol.

See? and you though it was a big deal when I pulled my dislocated finger out and reset it when it was 90 degrees off.

#ustoughguys

Edited by weave

See? and you though it was a big deal when I pulled my dislocated finger out and reset it when it was 90 degrees off.

#ustoughguys

I still think you've got me beat with that one... I cringe just picturing it!

I once made a guy puke right at our lunch table with a story that I don't think is nearly as bad as bio's or weave's for the squeamish....

During one of my 100's of eye doc visits when we were still trying to save my vision, my retinal surgeon noticed a bubble had formed in the silicone they had put in my eye to help keep my retina attached. So right there in the office she pulled out a needle and syringe, stuck it into my eye and removed the bubble. Apparently a story involving needle sticks and eyeballs was the perfect storm for this guy and he puked all over the lunch table. :lol:

I once made a guy puke right at our lunch table with a story that I don't think is nearly as bad as bio's or weave's for the squeamish....

During one of my 100's of eye doc visits when we were still trying to save my vision, my retinal surgeon noticed a bubble had formed in the silicone they had put in my eye to help keep my retina attached. So right there in the office she pulled out a needle and syringe, stuck it into my eye and removed the bubble. Apparently a story involving needle sticks and eyeballs was the perfect storm for this guy and he puked all over the lunch table. :lol:

From my Navy days:

I could tell when the new kids were feeling seasick as they'd be hanging around the rails and turning a little gray/green. I could talk to them to take their mind off it and I could really see the appreciation in their eyes that I was taking an interest and trying to help. Eventually I could turn the conversation back to how they were feeling and offer suggestions about things that helped when I was new to the ship. Just the words "mayonnaise milkshake" resulted in more than one kid immediately blowing groceries.

Yes it was mean but often the only way to get over the seasickness was to actually get sick.

Lol that's gross, too, but some people are just really weirded out by anything related to eyes. Having worn contacts since the age of 13, I'm not one of them.

From my Navy days:

I could tell when the new kids were feeling seasick as they'd be hanging around the rails and turning a little gray/green. I could talk to them to take their mind off it and I could really see the appreciation in their eyes that I was taking an interest and trying to help. Eventually I could turn the conversation back to how they were feeling and offer suggestions about things that helped when I was new to the ship. Just the words "mayonnaise milkshake" resulted in more than one kid immediately blowing groceries.

Yes it was mean but often the only way to get over the seasickness was to actually get sick.

Lol yuck!!

Lol that's gross, too, but some people are just really weirded out by anything related to eyes. Having worn contacts since the age of 13, I'm not one of them.

There's eye surgery called vitrectomy that's essentially sucking out the gel that fills the inside of the eyeball. I've considered it over the years due to a massive floater that swirls back and forth in my vision — but I've never been able to get myself to the point of agreeing to have it done.

There's eye surgery called vitrectomy that's essentially sucking out the gel that fills the inside of the eyeball. I've considered it over the years due to a massive floater that swirls back and forth in my vision — but I've never been able to get myself to the point of agreeing to have it done.

Sounds like lipo for your eyeball. How the heck do they get the floater without accidentally removing any of the important stuff?

My dad had shown me a video of a guy in Africa doing cataract surgery. It was the craziest thing; he just had this needle in his pocket that he'd clean, then without any other special equipment or anesthesia, he'd essentially use the needle to push the cataract so it fell down and out of the way of the lens. And voila -- instant vision restoration, all done in a little dirt shack in Africa. Pretty amazing stuff.

That's what I had, a vitrectomy due to eye trauma. When they took out the vitreous, in my case they replaced it with silicone oil, and it's still there seven years later.

Trust me, don't ever let them touch your eyes unless you're at risk of losing substantial vision.

Sounds like lipo for your eyeball. How the heck do they get the floater without accidentally removing any of the important stuff?

My dad had shown me a video of a guy in Africa doing cataract surgery. It was the craziest thing; he just had this needle in his pocket that he'd clean, then without any other special equipment or anesthesia, he'd essentially use the needle to push the cataract so it fell down and out of the way of the lens. And voila -- instant vision restoration, all done in a little dirt shack in Africa. Pretty amazing stuff.

That's a good question. There is a known risk profile for the surgery, but removing important stuff is not one of the risks. :) Not just the floater is removed, it's all of the vitreous, the junk in there that gives the eye its shape and maintains pressure. It's replaced by silicone oil or gas.

That's what I had, a vitrectomy due to eye trauma. When they took out the vitreous, in my case they replaced it with silicone oil, and it's still there seven years later.

Trust me, don't ever let them touch your eyes unless you're at risk of losing substantial vision.

That's the conventional wisdom. Still, many of the surgeons who do so-called "floater only vitrectomy" will tell you it's safe. Most people of a certain age (and even younger) have floaters, thin strands or bubbles that they can see under certain lighting conditions. It's hard to get people to understand how bothersome a really big one can be. I can never really "turn it off." I can live with it, and that's why I probably won't accept even a small risk to try and get rid of it. But, damn, I'd sure like it out of there.

It's hard to get people to understand how bothersome a really big one can be. I can never really "turn it off." I can live with it, and that's why I probably won't accept even a small risk to try and get rid of it. But, damn, I'd sure like it out of there.

Did you try unplugging it and plugging it back in?

In Montreal for the first time in 13 months. I'm hanging out with my best friend and a couple other close friends in their apartment and they're the only ones I've seen so far. I could spend the next 4 days in this apartment with these 4 guys and that would be amazing.

But we're about to head out and I get to reconnect with so many lost friends.

:beer: :beer: :wub: