(OT) Goal Celebrations

LGR4GM

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which type of goal celebration due you prefer?

• Raw pure emotional celebration
    • Clearly planned showboating celebration

I was watching football the other day and I thought wtf? These guys celebrate for everything and its not that pure raw emotion celebration its that deliberate I think I am cool one which pisses me off but whats some of your favorite celebrations for scoring in any sports from Hockey to Football to Soccer?

This is mine from recent memory: Just pure emotion.

-216 an couting, go trolls go!

Sometimes I cant help but laughing very hard when a simple tackle is made, and the guy is celebrating like he just won the lottery.

Always makes me wonder, can you imagine if each of us celebrated like that at work when we did our job correctly?

Life would be much more interesting!

Sometimes I cant help but laughing very hard when a simple tackle is made, and the guy is celebrating like he just won the lottery.

Always makes me wonder, can you imagine if each of us celebrated like that at work when we did our job correctly?

Life would be much more interesting!

I actually just did the Icky Shuffle.

Mark Gastineau's sack dance used to infuriate me.

I loved the emotion that Mike Foligno used to have on his face when he jumped. And when Mogilny and LaFontaine played together, Alex looked like pure bundled joy when they hooked up for a score.

But my favorite celebration has to be Tiger Williams riding his stick down center ice.

i did like the Afinogenov celebration that MattPie posted. it was unique and a very memorable moment in a very memorable game in a very memorable season. he was also one of my favorite players still at the time.

PK Subban's celebration that got him ripped apart by Don Cherry was kind of cheesy but again, it was unique, something you don't see often. I liked it.

Drury kind of jumping into the bench after his Game 1 winner vs Ottawa in 06 was pretty cool. He didn't "jump into the bench" but the whole team celebrated right near the gate, including guys still on the bench. He's not the only one to do it but that was a great hockey game and a huge win for us. Might have been my favorite moment as a Sabres fan, up there with Briere's game 6 winner vs CAR & Drury's game 5 game-tying goal vs rangers.

How Ovechkin and Afinogenov leap into the boards after goals quite often. Pretty common celebration really but I just love it. That's how I feel when I score goals in freaking ball hockey on a caged in tennis court (i hurt my back every time). I can only imagine how good it feels after an NHL goal though! :D

The fist pump is always awesome, and everytime Ennis or Briere or anyone else does it, it's awesome.

Most favorite: Foligno's leap

Least favorite: The Smolinski Smirk late in game 1 vs. Ottawa in 2006. I know the Sabres scored and then won in OT to wipe it off his face but it just showed how arrogant they were going into that series (perhaps they had reason given how they dominated the Sabres in the regular season, but still ... that's bad karma in the playoffs.)

Least favorite: The Smolinski Smirk late in game 1 vs. Ottawa in 2006. I know the Sabres scored and then won in OT to wipe it off his face but it just showed how arrogant they were going into that series (perhaps they had reason given how they dominated the Sabres in the regular season, but still ... that's bad karma in the playoffs.)

That one got a lot of bad reactions for obvious reasons, but if you watch just about any goal that Smolinski scored at any point in his career, that's just the way he looks.

I'm right there with you. Foligno is one of my all time favorite Sabres, and I wish he was there to punch Smolinski in the face after that pompous smirk.

Whole team coming off of the bench even though there's still 10 minutes left:

Don't know about the junior level (or international competition) as I only watched that level of hockey during the Olympics or the Canada Cup, but until ~1981 it was very common for players to come off the bench and celebrate big goals at the NHL level.

The league made it a delay of game penalty and that pretty much eliminated it. The Eulers had received special dispensation from the league prior to the game to leave the bench to join the celebration of Gretzky's 77th goal.

Don't know about the junior level (or international competition) as I only watched that level of hockey during the Olympics or the Canada Cup, but until ~1981 it was very common for players to come off the bench and celebrate big goals at the NHL level.

The league made it a delay of game penalty and that pretty much eliminated it. The Eulers had received special dispensation from the league prior to the game to leave the bench to join the celebration of Gretzky's 77th goal.

In USA Hockey now, it is NOT a penalty if the players leave the bench area to celebrate a goal so long as it does not create a significant delay in the drop of the puck to re-start play. It is a judgement call by the official, but they do say in the rulebook that this type of celebration should be reserved for important goals or goals that end a game.

Archived