The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

Not sure. Cigar City is brewed in Tampa Bay so it could only be in the southern states.

Cigar City has no true distributor in Rochester.  We see Jai Alai from them every once in awhile when the distributorship that is owned by the people who own AJ's Beer Warehouse go on a run downstate and bring some up here.  I don't think anything else sees wide distribution and certainly not in this area.

...is pepper beer actually a thing? If so, I'm intrigued.

Triangle brewing in Durham makes a great Habanero Pale Ale.  Most of the pepper beers I've had have been home brewed, but there are craft brew versions for sure.

The only one I've had is Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer, back in the mid-nineties. It was yellow lager in a clear bottle with a whole pepper in it. It was OK, but inconsistent. One night we cracked open a couple and my friend practically spit his out on the first swig. "How can you drink that, holy !". I took a swig of his and it was like drinking Tabasco. The other few bottles gave you a nice burn by the end of the bottle. It wasn't great beer, but it was novel.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/677/2213/

...is pepper beer actually a thing? If so, I'm intrigued.

There is a Finger Lakes brewery making a jalapeno ale.  It's alright.  for me it's a no more than one kind of beer though.

Ahhhh.  now I remember.  Horseheads Brewing.  Hot Jala-hiem ale.  Jalapeno and Anaheim pepper beer.

There are quite a few pepper beers and none of them are Ed' Cave Creek Chili beer.  There are much better ways of making them than slapping a pepper in a bottle.

Ballast Point Habanero Sculpin is an IPA.

Horsehead Hot Jala-heim was already mentioned.

Rogue does make on.

You'll find ancho chillies in quite a few beers as well.  But that's only a hint of spice.

There are also beers that use black pepper (many times in a saison).

You could get Ghost Face Killah.  That's a ghost pepper beer.  Not sure how the beer is.. I use ghost pepper sauce sparingly at times but drinking a beer tainted with it would not be for me.

There are quite a few pepper beers and none of them are Ed' Cave Creek Chili beer.  There are much better ways of making them than slapping a pepper in a bottle.

Ballast Point Habanero Sculpin is an IPA.

Horsehead Hot Jala-heim was already mentioned.

Rogue does make on.

You'll find ancho chillies in quite a few beers as well.  But that's only a hint of spice.

There are also beers that use black pepper (many times in a saison).

You could get Ghost Face Killah.  That's a ghost pepper beer.  Not sure how the beer is.. I use ghost pepper sauce sparingly at times but drinking a beer tainted with it would not be for me.

I had some Ghost Pepper Ice cream, it was good but got way too hot too fast.

So speaking of pepper beers, I forgot this was left in my cooler by a buddy at the beach last week. I'm about to pour and drink while grilling some lamb chops. Will report later.

post-61-0-17708100-1436999078_thumb.jpg

That was an an absolutely fantastic beer. Fresh jalapeño aroma in the nose and in flavor with zero heat. Reading the can they remove all the seeds before adding to the beer to accomplish this. I'm definitely going to seek out more.

Edited by Claude_Verret

LOL at Narragansett. Brewed in Rochester from the waters of the Mighty Genesee.  :P  Stupid hipsters. 

It is a really good macro style beer, regardless of where it's brewed. If people drink it thinking they're getting it from - where? RI? - well, then, haha. But I get it at Trader Joe's throughout the summer. Good stuff.

Stopped by the bottle shop near work during lunch and picked up a Gratzer beer by New Belgium / Three Floyds.  I've only had this style as a homebrew before, but I enjoyed it a lot.  It's a very rare style that originated in Poland.. a smoked beer that is light in color, hops and alcohol (~ 4%). I'll be enjoying it on the porch later tonight.

Does this shop have a good supply?  The wife is out of town for a week now, so I may need to find some good drinks to make my days go by faster.

Does this shop have a good supply? The wife is out of town for a week now, so I may need to find some good drinks to make my days go by faster.

Of that specific beer? It seemed like they had maybe 10 bottles, but in general they had a wide selection plus about 8 on draft for growler fills or pints while you shop. It's called the glass jug on hwy 55 in Durham/RTP.

Sorachi Ace, or some hot pepper beer? I like the Ace, never seen a pepper beer from them.

sorry for the delay, was the Ace i believe. I like the hot sues, really love it, but just not in beer!

Back to the old standby Tank 7 tonight...that beer is way to tasty to be 8.5%. Kills me everytime. I do believe my 7 AM run in a bit of danger

Stopped by Beers of the World. Grabbed some Schneider Weisse Tap 4

You should shop at AJ's Beer Warehouse.. on Clay Road in Henrietta.  Huge cold beer selection, better service, and better prices that Beers of the World.

I'm looking forward to their opening in The Walden Galleria

I think you are thinking of World of Beer.  That's a bar with a lot of beer.. one in Syracuse too.  Beers of the World is a beer store in Rochester.  It has history but in my opinion has been surpassed by many other bottle shops in the area.  It's part of Angotti Beverage which is also in Batavia.

That said... I've heard nice things about World of Beer.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.