The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

"Horse blanket" is the product of beers fermented with brettanomyces bacteria.  It doesn't smell like horse crap.  It does have a smell not unlike being around horses (crap excluded) though.  You find it in some Belgian styles.  Not ones I prefer.

The horse blanket character typically comes from using brettanomyces yeast.

Interesting. That makes some more sense; I've had brett beer before and never thought "horse", but I've also spent very little time around horses. Where's josie when you need her?

I'm close to that. But I stop short in the face of a small handful of adult beverages -- shandys (shandies?) among them.

I judge those beverages as unpalatable. No need to judge those who drink them.

10 years ago had a job that took me to the London suburbs for 1 week a month. Fellas there drank shandy's ( mostly with 7 up or sprite) as the drink/drive laws there are so strict two pints of regular lager/ale put them over limit. I like to have a shandy now and then on a hot day after a round of golf, on a boat etc. but I always make my own...that artificial lemon flavor is just awful. Edited by plenzmd1

10 years ago had a job that took he to the London suburbs for 1 week a month. Fellas there drank snandys( mostly with 7 up or sprite) as the drink/drive laws there are so strict two pints of regular lager/ale put them over limit. I like to have a shandy now and then on a hot day after a round of golf, on a boat etc. but I always make my own...that articulate lemon flavor is just awful.

I think you're hitting on something here. DIY shandy in a more reserved flavour sounds much more palatable.

So Jo and I bought a weird beer today. We weren't trying to. It was an accident.

Ithaca Brewing Company Cayuga Cruiser. It's a Berliner Style White Ale. We didn't know what that meant.

It's a white ale alright. But with a tart lemony yogurt flavour. We weren't expecting the sourness so we went straight to the internet to figure out what we'd gotten ourselves into. Turns out a lot of people typically mix this beer with some kind of flavored syrup. Okay.

Lacking syrup, Jo remembered we had Chambord left from making Kir Royales for something. So she mixed some of that in and wow. Let me tell you. If you're looking for an out from the shandy shenanigans this is it. The Berliner White is sour and crisp enough that you're not left wanting something more refreshing. It's drinkable on its own, but the Chambord really does the trick. Hell, put it over ice.

A happy accident, as Bob Ross would say.

So Jo and I bought a weird beer today. We weren't trying to. It was an accident.

Ithaca Brewing Company Cayuga Cruiser. It's a Berliner Style White Ale. We didn't know what that meant.

It's a white ale alright. But with a tart lemony yogurt flavour. We weren't expecting the sourness so we went straight to the internet to figure out what we'd gotten ourselves into. Turns out a lot of people typically mix this beer with some kind of flavored syrup. Okay.

Lacking syrup, Jo remembered we had Chambord left from making Kir Royales for something. So she mixed some of that in and wow. Let me tell you. If you're looking for an out from the shandy shenanigans this is it. The Berliner White is sour and crisp enough that you're not left wanting something more refreshing. It's drinkable on its own, but the Chambord really does the trick. Hell, put it over ice.

Works just about w/ every beverage!  

, the place I had lunch today has it on tap and I didn't try it. I wonder if they're still open...

That's a nice twist on the normal red or green choices you get with most Berliner Weisse beers.  I love the style and they are generally only in the 3.5-4% abv range as well.

A happy accident indeed!

That's a nice twist on the normal red or green choices you get with most Berliner Weisse beers.  I love the style and they are generally only in the 3.5-4% abv range as well.

A happy accident indeed!

Any beer you have to mix something into isn't beer at all, just call it a cocktail or something :p

10 years ago had a job that took me to the London suburbs for 1 week a month. Fellas there drank shandy's ( mostly with 7 up or sprite) as the drink/drive laws there are so strict two pints of regular lager/ale put them over limit. I like to have a shandy now and then on a hot day after a round of golf, on a boat etc. but I always make my own...that artificial lemon flavor is just awful.

I think you're hitting on something here. DIY shandy in a more reserved flavour sounds much more palatable.

I think this is my issue. Macro-made shandies just taste like Pledge furniture polish to me. I'm the same way with most any pronounced citrus flavorings. I do okay with the occasional 7-Up -- hey, speaking of 7-Up.

A home-made shandy could do quite well for me. Bears research,

(Also, interesting to hear about how strict DWI laws affect behaviour.)

Ithaca Brewing Company Cayuga Cruiser. It's a Berliner Style White Ale. 

Do want.

Quick poll, what's the most you've ever paid for beer? Any volume.

I paid a dollar an ounce before tax for a single 12 oz. bottle of the Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA. Then I waited a year to drink it. Worth every penny.

Quick poll, what's the most you've ever paid for beer? Any volume.

I remember paying a fair bit for a super strong glass of god knows what (barleywine of some kind I'm sure) at the Old Toad once. I honestly cannot remember what or how much (helpful I know) because one itty bitty glass of it apparently had the abv of an entire bottle of wine. I just know that I scoffed at the little glass, and all of about five sips later was nearly off my tits.

Then I stumbled completely day drunk to the Dryden theatre to watch Serpico with d4rk. I don't remember the first hour or so of that...

Whatever it was, it was worth the money to get blasted on all of about 6 oz of liquid. Taste was negotiable. So was remembering if I had feet.

Any beer you have to mix something into isn't beer at all, just call it a cocktail or something :P

haha truth. Not really a cocktail person myself, but I'll put chambord in just about anything... 

I remember paying a fair bit for a super strong glass of god knows what (barleywine of some kind I'm sure) at the Old Toad once. I honestly cannot remember what or how much (helpful I know) because one itty bitty glass of it apparently had the abv of an entire bottle of wine. I just know that I scoffed at the little glass, and all of about five sips later was nearly off my tits.

Then I stumbled completely day drunk to the Dryden theatre to watch Serpico with d4rk. I don't remember the first hour or so of that...

Whatever it was, it was worth the money to get blasted on all of about 6 oz of liquid. Taste was negotiable. So was remembering if I had feet.

haha truth. Not really a cocktail person myself, but I'll put chambord in just about anything... 

It was an Eisbock of some sort.

Alright, draft is quickly approaching. This is a major moment in Sabres history. Any of you having a special or appropriate beer while watching Eichel get drafted? Would like to hear fellow Sabres fans are sippin' or slammin' when it all goes down.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.