The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

I mentioned over the Summer that the local pub began getting some hard to find beers. The one specifically that shocked me was Duchesse de Bourgogne, a sour Flanders red ale. And a very expensive beer (when you can find it). It is made by a tiny brewery in tiny quantities.

So, this is a score post. The owner of the bar texted me today and asked if I wanted any growlers of Duchesse. He bought a second keg a month ago and it isn't moving. Apparently I was about the only customer drinking the 2nd keg. He's got other seasonal beers he needs to get on tap, so he's offering to give me the beer. He gave me two growlers of it. The rest is getting poured down the drain tonight at closing. I was tempted to go home for more growlers but I don't know that I would be able to drink it fast enough. It isn't something I can drink as a regular beer or in large quantities at one sitting.

I mentioned over the Summer that the local pub began getting some hard to find beers. The one specifically that shocked me was Duchesse de Bourgogne, a sour Flanders red ale. And a very expensive beer (when you can find it). It is made by a tiny brewery in tiny quantities.

So, this is a score post. The owner of the bar texted me today and asked if I wanted any growlers of Duchesse. He bought a second keg a month ago and it isn't moving. Apparently I was about the only customer drinking the 2nd keg. He's got other seasonal beers he needs to get on tap, so he's offering to give me the beer. He gave me two growlers of it. The rest is getting poured down the drain tonight at closing. I was tempted to go home for more growlers but I don't know that I would be able to drink it fast enough. It isn't something I can drink as a regular beer or in large quantities at one sitting.

POURING BEER DOWN THE DRAIN!!!! :censored: :censored: :censored:

Most of the mediocre to middling brewers just throw hops at beer, because it's become a p-ennis thing, "my beer is hoppier than yours" and some of the consumers are eating it up. I'd guess it's like hot sauce/chili competitions. But, you can at least get to know your styles to help. Stouts, porter, amber, lager, pilsner, bock, belgian, and wheats, among others will be your friend. Anything with "pale ale", especially IPA steer clear.

:thumbsup: This helps.

Annual pubcrawl with the brewclub on Saturday. Heading to Lagerheads, Thirsty Dog and ending at Main Street (Garretsville). All decent breweries. Should be a good time. The bus is full this year too.

Someone mentioned Delerium Tremens upthread. I like it but prefer Delerium Nocturnum.

There is another small Belgian brewhouse in southeast Ohio (Rock Mill). I'll be stopping in there in one of the next few weekends. Haven't had anything from them yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Some new craft beer projects in Buffalo. Support your local breweries!

http://www.buffalone...garden-20131118

And a nice quote from my old friend Tim Herzog of Flying Bison..

“We’ve just begun to scratch the surface in Western New York,” he said, adding that there are no plans to sell in other markets.

“Because Buffalo and Niagara Falls still need more beer,” he said. “We have the Bills and the Sabres. We need more beer.”

• 3 weeks later...

So the local Brewery Terrapin, has a Milk Chocolate Stout called Moo Hoo that I really like. My one gripe is maybe a little to much of that coffee taste. Well this season they released a White Chocolate Moo Hoo... it is delicious.

I thought Terrapin was in MD? I must be thinking of their sports teams. White Chocolate Moo Hoo sounds awful, lol, but I'll take your word for it!

I thought Terrapin was in MD? I must be thinking of their sports teams. White Chocolate Moo Hoo sounds awful, lol, but I'll take your word for it!

You are indeed thinking of the Maryland college mascot.

So the local beer store got in a shipment of this stuff last friday... they sold out at both locations in 2 hours. The keg at the bar I was at last night I heard was kicked last night. Its like a wonka bar if you can get this stuff.

So the local Brewery Terrapin, has a Milk Chocolate Stout called Moo Hoo that I really like. My one gripe is maybe a little to much of that coffee taste. Well this season they released a White Chocolate Moo Hoo... it is delicious.

Moo Hoo is good stuff. Also a big fan of WnB Stout, formerly Wake n Bake Stout. The Gamma Ray is also amazing. Big fan of Terrapin.

They are making a bacon WnB it comes out I think later this month.

Years ago I brewed a smoked porter where I smoked the malt myself on my weber smoker. I was a bit overzealous with the smoke and there must have been some residual pig that permeated the grains from the last pork butt I had smoked. The beer tasted like bacon.

the local watering hole had Weyerbacher Merry Monks on draft last night. Delicious! Yeasty nose, a hint of sweet, candy sugar on the tongue and Belgian yeast notes on the rather dry finish, and a touch of spice. If you like Belgian tripels put this one on your list.

Years ago I brewed a smoked porter where I smoked the malt myself on my weber smoker. I was a bit overzealous with the smoke and there must have been some residual pig that permeated the grains from the last pork butt I had smoked. The beer tasted like bacon.

Um...awesome!

lol if you want I can. Who knows if it will taste good.

Let me know when it's out. I'm betting it won't suck.

On another note.. I had Founder's Sweet Repute this past Friday. It's a Wheat Wine aged in some maple bourbon barrels. It was absolutely incredible. If you've had a wheat wine before this is worth every penny. $18 for a 750ml. At 12% we're talking typical wine prices and you can and SHOULD drink it like a wine.

Terrapin makes Gamma Ray, another great wheat wine.

Most of the mediocre to middling brewers just throw hops at beer, because it's become a p-ennis thing, "my beer is hoppier than yours" and some of the consumers are eating it up. I'd guess it's like hot sauce/chili competitions. But, you can at least get to know your styles to help. Stouts, porter, amber, lager, pilsner, bock, belgian, and wheats, among others will be your friend. Anything with "pale ale", especially IPA steer clear.

This is so true. For no apparent reason, the primary dimension of competition for U.S. microbrews has become hoppiness. They dump more and more hops into the beer, as if more hops is universally better. My German friends think it is ridiculous that Americans love hops so much!

This is so true. For no apparent reason, the primary dimension of competition for U.S. microbrews has become hoppiness. They dump more and more hops into the beer, as if more hops is universally better. My German friends think it is ridiculous that Americans love hops so much!

i don't know if this is necessarily the case, it's not like brewers are dumping extra hops into beer styles when it isn't called for. The american palette in general tends to gravitate towards the hoppier styles like pales and IPA's, so the craft brewers are just providing what the market is demanding. Having said that I think that some craft beer lovers would be well served to branch out into say a nice German altbier or pilsner every now and then.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.