The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

What is this 'hop bag gadget' that you speak of? I just made a hop spider but haven't used it yet. Needed an easy way to keep my hops from hitting the electric element in the BK.

That's it. I made a hop spider.

edit: The hop spider in action. This is on my dodgy 5 gallon brew set up, I haven't tried the spider yet on my converted keg boil kettle for 10 gallon batches

post-61-0-12034800-1365795102_thumb.jpg

Edited by Claude_Verret

Victory's Swing Saison. Great session beer, I could drink it all day (and did on Saturday bar hopping thru Philly and watching the game). I think I just might be ready for summer beers, I have some 21st Amendment Hell or High Watermelon that's quite good too.

Had a glass of Dogfish's World-wide Stout the other day. It's a really great beer, but it's sadly only a one per day kind of thing at 18% (yes, 18%). Fairly cheap at my local place too, $7 for a 10oz pour. The other time I had it I paid $15 for a 12oz bottle.

Edited by MattPie

Victory's Swing Saison. Great session beer, I could drink it all day (and did on Saturday bar hopping thru Philly and watching the game). I think I just might be ready for summer beers, I have some 21st Amendment Hell or High Watermelon that's quite good too.

Had a glass of Dogfish's World-wide Stout the other day. It's a really great beer, but it's sadly only a one per day kind of thing at 18% (yes, 18%). Fairly cheap at my local place too, $7 for a 10oz pour. The other time I had it I paid $15 for a 12oz bottle.

Is the Victory really a good session beer? Most saisons I've had are in the 6-7% abv range

edit: Actually it appears that it is Victory Swing Session Saison comes in at 4.5%, so it looks like they dialed it down a bit from a saison brewed to style. I'm going to look for this one.

Edited by Claude_Verret

Had a Lagunitas Wilco Tango Foxtrot (WTF) last night. Nice beer. Brown Ale. Close to 8% alcohol but not strong alcohol taste. Malty, foam sticks to the side of the glass. Chocolate hints but not overpowering (I don't like flavored beers). More spicy than citrus.

I recently enjoyed Abita's Extra Special Bitter courtesy of Mr. Goodbar. The style and execution of this beer took me back to my first exposure to the craft beer scene in the early 90s (Redhook's flagship beer was/is an ESB). I highly recommend Abita's ESB--if you can find it.

Had a Lagunitas Wilco Tango Foxtrot (WTF) last night. Nice beer. Brown Ale. Close to 8% alcohol but not strong alcohol taste. Malty, foam sticks to the side of the glass. Chocolate hints but not overpowering (I don't like flavored beers). More spicy than citrus.

Where did you have this?

I recently enjoyed Abita's Extra Special Bitter courtesy of Mr. Goodbar. The style and execution of this beer took me back to my first exposure to the craft beer scene in the early 90s (Redhook's flagship beer was/is an ESB). I highly recommend Abita's ESB--if you can find it.

I think they have it at Mr. Goodbar.

Edited by Eleven

A great beer, inspired by an equally great band and album (supposedly)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaWhg5YGGSs

I tried the Dogfishhead Hellhound last night. Really nice beer. Its an Imperial IPA, but its not overwhelmingly hoppy (which is what to many IPA's rely on), and has a great scent and aftertaste. Only would have been better if I had an Robert Johnson playing while I drank it. Next time.

I tried the Dogfishhead Hellhound last night. Really nice beer. Its an Imperial IPA, but its not overwhelmingly hoppy (which is what to many IPA's rely on), and has a great scent and aftertaste. Only would have been better if I had an Robert Johnson playing while I drank it. Next time.

Many of the Imperial IPA aren't as hoppy as you'd think. Ranch R and the 90 and 120 minute IPA's being good examples.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, first review of Live is in. Poured into a McGregor's style mug. Hazy golden-orange in color. End of pour had yeast dregs in it. Looking at the glass from above the beer had an oily look to it. And carbonation is mild. Tangerine and blood orange with a little sweet grain on the nose. Initial hit on the palate is sweet and very full bodied. The hops kick in quickly with an assault of citrus flavors. Pineapple and tangerine. a good strong, but mellow bitterness dominates the finish. I don't know what hops they are using but the bitterness is not at all harsh ala their IPA. It is more of a rounded, softer bitterness. The finish is long and dry. What I am trying to understand is how they manage a sweet profile on the tongue and get a dry finish. Very well done American pale ale. This is an easy one to keep pouring. I wish I had a 2nd bottle.

This was posted by Poojer on OTW..

http://vimeo.com/64558227

Edited by plenzmd1

So the 1 and shockingly only brew pub here made a Belgian Red Ale that was high gravity (8.5%) and I have to say it was absolutely delightful. Had a hint of berry, good underlying wheat hops and was the most deep golden color, it was fantastic. One of the best beers I have ever had.

post-2716-0-81792100-1366895639_thumb.jpg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.