Drury

wonderbread

Drury Buf-Bound  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Should Drury re-sign w/ Buffalo?

• Yes only short-term
    • Yes sign him long-term and see wht happens
    • No, retire and nvr come back to the Queen City

Stick him in the same bin as Connolly: if the money is low enough and we've already signed another true scoring-line center, then one of those two (as well as other FAs/trades) could be considered for a lower-line center slot.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/rangers/2011/06/09/2011-06-09_source_says_drury_ranger_run_is_over.html

"BOSTON - Glen Sather left Wednesday's general managers meeting without addressing the media, but the Daily News has learned the Rangers boss plans to buy out the final season of captain Chris Drury's five-year, $35.25 million contract." dAILY NEWS

They are going after Richards. IMO

Also Callahan and Dubinsky are going to get better than Stafford money, I think.

I'd sign him to a short term deal if he's the second center we sign this summer. Was he injured long enough to qualify for an incentive based contract?

According to TSN he spent 116 days on injured reserve last season, which would qualifying him for an incentive based contract per the CBA 50.2 (b)(i)©(2)(iii).

If we can get him for $600k plus bonuses if he returns to form, why not?

According to TSN he spent 116 days on injured reserve last season, which would qualifying him for an incentive based contract per the CBA 50.2 (b)(i)©(2)(iii).

If we can get him for $600k plus bonuses if he returns to form, why not?

Returns to form?

What constitutes a "return to form"?

The fact that he can walk upright?

No thank you to Chris Drury, this type of signing only does one thing, it gives Connolly company in the pressbox while they both sit on the injury list.

Returns to form?

What constitutes a "return to form"?

The fact that he can walk upright?

No thank you to Chris Drury, this type of signing only does one thing, it gives Connolly company in the pressbox while they both sit on the injury list.

If he's injured there's no harm, no cap space wasted, nothing. Why not give him a shot. Where's the downside? we need centers.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/rangers/2011/06/09/2011-06-09_source_says_drury_ranger_run_is_over.html

"BOSTON - Glen Sather left Wednesday's general managers meeting without addressing the media, but the Daily News has learned the Rangers boss plans to buy out the final season of captain Chris Drury's five-year, $35.25 million contract." dAILY NEWS

They are going after Richards. IMO

Also Callahan and Dubinsky are going to get better than Stafford money, I think.

From that link:

The Blueshirts also appear likely to buy out the remaining year on midseason pickup Wojtek Wolski's deal, saving another $3.3 million next season while incurring a $666,667 charge in 2012-13.

Now I sure wouldn't want to pay Wolski $3.8 mil - but he might have some value on the 3rd line.

a 2-year deal for the right price? heck yes. limit his minutes, and the guy can do a lot of important things for this team. strikes me that the market won't let us get connolly back as a role-player center -- drury should be a different story.

most importantly, guys like ennis and gerbe weren't on the team when drury was here to shut down the pre-game locker room music, glower at people until they hit the weight room, and urge the utility of bland, protein-heavy pre-game meals.

el link-o

"Before Drury joined the Sabres -- acquired from the Flames -- the locker room music stayed on loud and long before games, and no one hit the weight room after. Drury walked in his first day and turned off the stereo. "I thought, What's wrong with this guy?" says Buffalo defenseman Brian Campbell. ... He made a point of sidling up to Miller, then a rookie unsure of how to challenge Biron, and said, "You going to take this job or what?"

The players knew Drury's history. Everyone began watching how he prepared, stretched, made sure to eat the blandest food to guard against stomach upset."

p.s. does this article suggest that hockey players customarily hit the weight room after a game? :unsure:

Especially considering Nieds and Grier probably won't be back next year, I'm fine w/ bringing Drury in in the Detroit Modano role.

He'd be fairly cheap, would add depth to center and the PK (when healthy), would give the Sabres someone besides Goose that can win a faceoff, and would help fill the leadership void. (I wouldn't want him to even wear an 'A' but I do believe his presence in the dressing room would be a good thing.)

It doesn't really vindicate Darcy, either.

The Quinn-Darcy combo, you mean. And as much as it pains me to say it, because I cannot stand Quinn, this vindicates them for not signing Drury to a long-term, high-priced deal, doesn't it?

The Quinn-Darcy combo, you mean. And as much as it pains me to say it, because I cannot stand Quinn, this vindicates them for not signing Drury to a long-term, high-priced deal, doesn't it?

Totally different systems, Drury easily could have continued to score 30 goals if he had stayed in Lindy's offense, we will never know, so no, LQ is Not Vindicated.

Last year not withstanding, Drury is not Connolly when it comes to injuries. Before last year he averaged 78.9 games played per season over 11 years. His lowest total (only once) was 71.

Admittedly, last year was rough for him in terms of injury, but with a track record of being healthy like he has had, I would gladly bring him back.

Unless you buy into the theory that Drury was the right guy in the right place here in Buffalo. There's some merit to that, but I don't quite buy into it.

this vindicates them for not signing Drury to a long-term, high-priced deal, doesn't it?

Totally different systems, Drury easily could have continued to score 30 goals if he had stayed in Lindy's offense, we will never know, so no, LQ is Not Vindicated.
Unless you buy into the theory that Drury was the right guy in the right place here in Buffalo. There's some merit to that, but I don't quite buy into it.

while we cannot know what would have happened had LQ/TG signed off on the deal that darcy had teed up for approval, i suspect that the truth is somewhere in the middle of what eleven and pommer are suggesting. drury was part of a special team in the years that he did so well for us -- even if he had stayed, that team would have been on its way to being disassembled. but i also think that he had a good thing going here in terms of where he fit, how he fit there, and the like.

Archived