Drury

wonderbread

Drury Buf-Bound  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Should Drury re-sign w/ Buffalo?

• Yes only short-term
    • Yes sign him long-term and see wht happens
    • No, retire and nvr come back to the Queen City

I say we sign him for a few hundred K a year and make him a player/coach a la Reggie Dunlop. The bring up Kassian and Foligno and turn the three of them into the new Hanson brothers. Hire a Rural-Metro ambulance to circle the arena with its siren on. Buy lots of foil for the locker room. Man up! "I'm listening to the f***ing song!"

I say we sign him for a few hundred K a year and make him a player/coach a la Reggie Dunlop. The bring up Kassian and Foligno and turn the three of them into the new Hanson brothers. Hire a Rural-Metro ambulance to circle the arena with its siren on. Buy lots of foil for the locker room. Man up! "I'm listening to the f***ing song!"

:clapping:

while we cannot know what would have happened had LQ/TG signed off on the deal that darcy had teed up for approval, i suspect that the truth is somewhere in the middle of what eleven and pommer are suggesting. drury was part of a special team in the years that he did so well for us -- even if he had stayed, that team would have been on its way to being disassembled. but i also think that he had a good thing going here in terms of where he fit, how he fit there, and the like.

I'll still stick with my idea that you don't build a winner around Chris Drury. He was always that extra piece that put an already good team over the top.

THis guy is at the end of his career, is -8 with 37 points his last two seasons. Rangers fans by and large despise him for his play.

I wouldnt touch him without an incentive based contract, which he likely wont accept.

Not for his play...for the expectations of his contract.

I think 10-12 minutes a game is where expectations should be going forward.

Tortorella calls Drury's knee problems chronic. that's not good.

If that's truly the case, my opinion about bringing him back is altered.

Torts also wants Richards real bad, we're talking massive man crush. I imagine he's made the story sound worse to try and convince ownership/sather that it's a good idea to buy chris out and make room.

Torts also wants Richards real bad, we're talking massive man crush. I imagine he's made the story sound worse to try and convince ownership/sather that it's a good idea to buy chris out and make room.

Torts is a pretty straight shooter. I don't reckon it is a public posturing angle as much as it is true.

He's not worth the difference between the contract and the buyout price. Which means it is a bad contact.

Living in past. And it won't help this club.

Bringing Grier back did very little for us as well.

Nope, bringing back these players just doesn't get it done. The goal, as stated by Mr. Pegula, was a cup run within 3 seasons.

The only player that may actually contribute to that end that has played for the Sabres in the past is Briere, and even then, at that price It would be a large question mark. His playoff performance is what interests me more than anything else.

Totally different systems, Drury easily could have continued to score 30 goals if he had stayed in Lindy's offense, we will never know, so no, LQ is Not Vindicated.

Haven't you read? The system (that gave Briere and Drury their highest-scoring seasons ever) is also to blame.

Unless you buy into the theory that Drury was the right guy in the right place here in Buffalo. There's some merit to that, but I don't quite buy into it.

Right with you on this. There's some merit.

I'll still stick with my idea that you don't build a winner around Chris Drury. He was always that extra piece that put an already good team over the top.

I've never put much thought into it but I think you are right. Even in his prime he was kind of a role player, not in a grinder/checker kind of way. He was secondary scoring, and on those COL yeams he was secondary leadership too.

Not to diminish what he did at all. He was a helluva competitor but in the places he had success he wasn't really the go to guy except in a real crunch.

I've never put much thought into it but I think you are right. Even in his prime he was kind of a role player, not in a grinder/checker kind of way. He was secondary scoring, and on those COL yeams he was secondary leadership too.

Not to diminish what he did at all. He was a helluva competitor but in the places he had success he wasn't really the go to guy except in a real crunch.

He has 3 titles to his name. I don't want to lump the little league world series in with anything because who really knows what a kid has at that age. He was a freshman on a very talented BU national championship team in 95. He was just a kid again on that Avs team that had 3-4 hall of famers on its roster. Then they also had tremendous young talent in him, Tanguay, and Hejduk. He was a hell of a complementary piece to those teams, but there was also a great deal of "right place, right time" too. Maybe he can get back to that role with his next contract because he definitely won't be looked upon anymore to be that prime driving force that the Sabres and Rangers were expecting him to be.

We are moving forward not backwards. Drury is backwards. Hes older now, more injured, slower, and not the same player. Sure its great he came into the locker room and forced his work ethic down everyones throat but honestly i dont think we need that anymore. This team worked hard this year and made progress. Drury is a has been. Move on. I dont want him around in the same way i dont want TC around. They had their time and couldnt do it so pass.

Its time that these core guys we have stop saying or blaming lack of veteran leadership and step up and become veteran leaders. I have no desire to give them yet another crutch to lean on and blame.

We are moving forward not backwards. Drury is backwards. Hes older now, more injured, slower, and not the same player. Sure its great he came into the locker room and forced his work ethic down everyones throat but honestly i dont think we need that anymore. This team worked hard this year and made progress. Drury is a has been. Move on. I dont want him around in the same way i dont want TC around. They had their time and couldnt do it so pass.

Its time that these core guys we have stop saying or blaming lack of veteran leadership and step up and become veteran leaders. I have no desire to give them yet another crutch to lean on and blame.

And always, twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom...

Rangers also may be buying out Wolski. Interesting.

Wojtek Wolski is 25 years old on the buyout date of June 15, 2011, setting the buyout ratio at 1/3 and the total buyout cost at $1,333,333 spread over 2 years. His contract was originally valued at $7,600,000 beginning in 2010 and ending in 2012, with $4,000,000 remaining from the buyout year forward.

Wojtek Wolski buyout from CapGeek.com

2011-12: $466,667 cap hit

2012-13: $666,667 cap hit.

Wojtek Wolski is 25 years old on the buyout date of June 15, 2011, setting the buyout ratio at 1/3 and the total buyout cost at $1,333,333 spread over 2 years. His contract was originally valued at $7,600,000 beginning in 2010 and ending in 2012, with $4,000,000 remaining from the buyout year forward.

Now that could be an interesting depth signing at the right price, but I want the team's efforts focused on the middle right now.

Living in past. And it won't help this club.

Bringing Grier back did very little for us as well.

Nope, bringing back these players just doesn't get it done. The goal, as stated by Mr. Pegula, was a cup run within 3 seasons.

The only player that may actually contribute to that end that has played for the Sabres in the past is Briere, and even then, at that price It would be a large question mark. His playoff performance is what interests me more than anything else.

Bingo!

...and Bingo!

Drury will not help this team move forward.

I wouldn't mind seeing Wolski on the wing here but we are already loaded at wing. Maybe if we need to move a LW in our quest for a center he becomes a decent replacement option.

He's had injury problems the last 3 years? I see he's played less than 1/2 of the last 3 seasons.

But Drury will come in and turn off your stereo. ;)

I wouldn't mind seeing Wolski on the wing here but we are already loaded at wing. Maybe if we need to move a LW in our quest for a center he becomes a decent replacement option.

He's had injury problems the last 3 years? I see he's played less than 1/2 of the last 3 seasons.

He hasn't missed much time, that's just the split seasons per team in his stats.

He played 73 games last season (the lowest amount of games per season in his career so far), 80 the season before that.

I'd be very interested to see him on the LW with Adam at center and Boyes on the RW for line 3.

He has size at 6'3", 215lbs.

The knock on him is that since Colorado he disappears for stretches. But I can give partial consideration to who he played with on a line both in Phoenix and NY and the move to put him in at center.

He finished strong in Phoenix when he was traded playing with Stempniak, then Stempniak's production fell and his production dropped.

NY never gave him linemates worth a grain of salt. He is someone I'd be interested in on line 3 LW for sure.

Isn't one of the knocks on him that he doesn't play a physical game for his size? Kotalik type guy?

Sometimes.

He plays aggressive enough along the half wall (that's where he likes to loiter alot, watch some game film on him, you'll see what I mean).

But he's definitely not a down low or behind the net, dig the puck out kind of player, thats for sure.

Archived