Drury

wonderbread

Drury Buf-Bound  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Should Drury re-sign w/ Buffalo?

• Yes only short-term
    • Yes sign him long-term and see wht happens
    • No, retire and nvr come back to the Queen City

Sporting news thinks Laich might be the 2nd best UFA forward available. (it's that thin out there folks...)

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2011-05-27/beyond-brad-richards-free-agent-forwards-short-on-star-power-long-on-intrigue

4.5? I'd do it. It is slightly overpaying...but it also scrambles Washington's lines and special team..which might be worth the extra $500,000 in itself ;)

I think it's too much. He might be second best UFA forward but that doesn't make him good enough to be our #1. If we don't get Richards, we have to trade for one -- that's really the bottom line imo. If you want to sign Laich for the third/fourth line, fine, but not for $4.5 mil when you can have Drury or TC for probably half that.

Also just wrote this little blog post about Drury. It's probably not any good because I pulled an all-nighter and am falling asleep as I type this message, but feel free to check it out if you want! http://www.thesportsbuff.com/?p=592

I think it's too much. He might be second best UFA forward but that doesn't make him good enough to be our #1. If we don't get Richards, we have to trade for one -- that's really the bottom line imo. If you want to sign Laich for the third/fourth line, fine, but not for $4.5 mil when you can have Drury or TC for probably half that.

Laich is not a #1 liner...but even as a third liner he'd probably lead your forwards in ice time because of PP and PK and a regular shift.

Drury...you are talking 10 minutes/game at $1.5 million. Otherwise Buffalo doesn't want him.

Laich is a coach's dream for balancing lines. I'd hate for Ron Wilson to have him. (BTW...I'm not a fan of Boudreau..but if anyone has made that coach look good...)

Laich is not a #1 liner...but even as a third liner he'd probably lead your forwards in ice time because of PP and PK and a regular shift.

Drury...you are talking 10 minutes/game at $1.5 million. Otherwise Buffalo doesn't want him.

This is true, and with TC and Grier likely gone we do have voids to fill on the PK. I doubt Drury is still the PKer he once was. Still, I think $4.5 is high for a third liner, but I suppose if Richards is gone at 12:05 you can count on moving some bodies and salary in a trade eventually, so it wouldn't handicap us that much...

However if we DO get that #1 center somehow, how much ice time is Laich going to see on the PP? Maybe some time on the second unit, but I would expect Roy is penciled in on that depth chart right now?

Laich is good enough to be a #2 center.

I'd like to see Richards in blue and gold, but I don't expect it to turn out that way. If we sign Laich instead I think we see our #1 center is Roy and #2 becomes Laich. I'm hoping a #3 center gets signed too but I'll probably have to settle for Hecht at center again this year. I don't think Laich as a #2 center is bad at all. I'm betting his production gets closer to 75 pts with wingers like Tyler Ennis and Brad Boyes. And that would give us 3 scoring lines again.

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

Ennis-Laich-Boyes

Gerbe-Hecht-Pomminstein

I'd like to see Richards in blue and gold, but I don't expect it to turn out that way. If we sign Laich instead I think we see our #1 center is Roy and #2 becomes Laich. I'm hoping a #3 center gets signed too but I'll probably have to settle for Hecht at center again this year. I don't think Laich as a #2 center is bad at all. I'm betting his production gets closer to 75 pts with wingers like Tyler Ennis and Brad Boyes. And that would give us 3 scoring lines again.

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

Ennis-Laich-Boyes

Gerbe-Hecht-Pomminstein

I'm still hoping a #1 center is a trade.....(Richards contract is going to be stifling, I don't see it happening)

#2 Roy

#3 Free Agent

#4 Gaustad

#5 Free Agent reserve

#6 McCormick

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

Ennis-Laich-Boyes

Gerbe-Hecht-Pomminstein

I'm okay with that as a "Plan B" as it's probably the best option out there after Richards, but really those lines don't excite me all that much... Ennis had a strong finish but he's still got a lot to learn, not to mention the dreaded "sophomore slump" potentially coming up (not that I put that much stock into that stuff, but hey, Myers looked reeeeal bad early last season). Boyes is big question mark too, though I have high hopes for him and am confident in his ability to return to a 20-25 goal scorer. If they also got a guy like Handzus instead of Hecht, I'd probably feel better about the last combo there...

I'm still hoping a #1 center is a trade.....(Richards contract is going to be stifling, I don't see it happening)

#2 Roy

#3 Free Agent

#4 Gaustad

#5 Free Agent reserve

#6 McCormick

Wouldn't mind the #1 C coming in a trade at all. Depending on who it is, and what they cost, Laich could still be in play.

If we had enough depth that Laich is our #3 center we'd be sitting pretty damned well.

I for one thank Chris Drury for leaving Buffalo. He clearly benefited from the Sabres' up tempo style and cashed in huge. He was never a 35 goal guy, more of a checker who could chip in 15-20. His move, funny enough, has put the team ahead of where they would have been had he stayed.

Too bad Danny B got away though.

I gave Drury a great deal of thought last night and today. I read all the reports on him and what hes worth and all of that. My conclusion is that if you can sign drury as grier/nieds replacement for around 1 mil for 2 years you do it. If he sucks you send him to portland or buy him out. You also sign Laich who is 8 years younger and similar in many ways to our X captain. Darcy better be ready to go.

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

Ennis-Laich-Boyes

Gerbe-Hecht-Pomminstein

Looking at the three lines you put together has me more convinced than ever that a complete roster shakeup is in order. No offense, but your third line is a complete joke. All three right-wingers are overpaid and Hecht just needs to go away by any means necessary.

Going over all the threads and posts about possible lineups with various acquisition combinations really brings to light how far the Sabres are away from being a Cup contender.

You seriously believe Bodton is that much better? And that third line. How many teams could put out a third line capable of scoring 70 goals and consisting of your top two penalty killers.

Finally, only one of the right wingers is overpaid by league standards and he brings enough to warrant a little over payment.

Looking at the three lines you put together has me more convinced than ever that a complete roster shakeup is in order. No offense, but your third line is a complete joke. All three right-wingers are overpaid and Hecht just needs to go away by any means necessary.

Going over all the threads and posts about possible lineups with various acquisition combinations really brings to light how far the Sabres are away from being a Cup contender.

I don't really disagree. The lines represent what I think is a reasonable expectation of what this offseason accomplishes. I don't like Vanek and Roy paired back up again but I don't see any other combo of Vanek and C unless we spring for a bigtime center, and I'm not confident that happens. And that 3rd line is what's left over when two scoring lines are created. Hecht and Pommer have some chemistry. And they are good defensive players so I expect they would make up a checking line together. And frankly, Gerbe doesn't fit anywhere else really. He's certainly not bumping Vanek or Ennis.

I'd love to see the forwards blown up. I don't like the mix we have. But it isn't realistic to expect it this offseason. If they were interested in doing that it would have started at last seasons' trade deadline. And you know we were both disappointed in how that went down.

I don't really disagree. The lines represent what I think is a reasonable expectation of what this offseason accomplishes. I don't like Vanek and Roy paired back up again but I don't see any other combo of Vanek and C unless we spring for a bigtime center, and I'm not confident that happens. And that 3rd line is what's left over when two scoring lines are created. Hecht and Pommer have some chemistry. And they are good defensive players so I expect they would make up a checking line together. And frankly, Gerbe doesn't fit anywhere else really. He's certainly not bumping Vanek or Ennis.

I'd love to see the forwards blown up. I don't like the mix we have. But it isn't realistic to expect it this offseason. If they were interested in doing that it would have started at last seasons' trade deadline. And you know we were both disappointed in how that went down.

Considering the weak free agent market this would be the perfect off-season for a purge. There will be teams desperate to make moves and the Sabres could possibly get more value for some of their forwards than in other years. If Pegula is really willing to spend what it takes, spending that money on buyouts other than free-agents is the best way to go. Get rid of the 6-7 bad contracts and set the team up to take advantage of what will hopefully be, and I said hopefully, better free agent markets in the years to come.

What we are likely facing this off-season is a marginal signing of a fand-aid. A familiar name player to placate fans but not a signing that actually constitutes enough of a change to help turn this franchise around.

Considering the weak free agent market this would be the perfect off-season for a purge. There will be teams desperate to make moves and the Sabres could possibly get more value for some of their forwards than in other years. If Pegula is really willing to spend what it takes, spending that money on buyouts other than free-agents is the best way to go. Get rid of the 6-7 bad contracts and set the team up to take advantage of what will hopefully be, and I said hopefully, better free agent markets in the years to come.

What we are likely facing this off-season is a marginal signing of a fand-aid. A familiar name player to placate fans but not a signing that actually constitutes enough of a change to help turn this franchise around.

Fand-aid. Nice. You should trademark that one.

Tell me these 6 or 7 "bad" contracts and what kind of game changers you are going to attract if you tear apart a team that has made the playoffs the last two years.

You continue to lose all credibilty with your hyperbole and your treating this team as if they struggled to stay out of the basement four years running.

Tell me these 6 or 7 "bad" contracts and what kind of game changers you are going to attract if you tear apart a team that has made the playoffs the last two years.

You continue to lose all credibilty with your hyperbole and your treating this team as if they struggled to stay out of the basement four years running.

Bad contracts?

Vanek

Miller

Pominville

Stafford

Boyes

Hecht

Gaustad

This team may have not been "struggling to stay out of the basement four years running" that doesn't mean they are Cup contenders. Credibility is lost by those that believe this roster is one or two players away or certain posters that would want you to believe a line of Gerbe-Hecht-Pominville is capable of scoring 70 goals. There are even some that want you to believe the Sabres are loaded at wing and the Sabres just need that one or two centers to lead to them to a Stanley Cup.

All that does is perpetuate the Status Quo. The only way to break the cycle of mediocrity is by a sudden and drastic change. The franchise is not going to turn around by staying on the same course turning over the same parts each year. There simply are not the players available in free-agency no matter how much Pegula is willing to spend. Timing is everything as they say. As difficult as it would be to move many of the bad contracts the Sabres have, it may be less difficult this off-season compared to others.

Roster purges should not be reserved for those teams that "struggled to stay out of the basement four years running." A team like the Sabres need to take a realistic look at their roster and measure it against their ability to win the Stanley Cup. A honest and realist review of the roster will tell you that drastic change is needed. It doesn't mean that every player "sucks" or this team "sucks" as I am sure some would be ready to replay as such. If you are honest about this team you know that the current make-up of the roster is nowhere good enough and needs more than a player here and a player there.

The good news is that my hypothesis is going to be tested in the upcoming season. You, of course, are banking on the odds and difficulty of getting to the conference finals as proof that you are right.

I like the odds that I'll enjoy the season more.

"the upcoming season", the season after that and the season after that. As long as Status Quo continues to run the hockey department nothing will change, including the results.

Bad contracts?

Vanek

Miller

Pominville

Stafford

Boyes

Hecht

Gaustad

This team may have not been "struggling to stay out of the basement four years running" that doesn't mean they are Cup contenders. Credibility is lost by those that believe this roster is one or two players away or certain posters that would want you to believe a line of Gerbe-Hecht-Pominville is capable of scoring 70 goals. There are even some that want you to believe the Sabres are loaded at wing and the Sabres just need that one or two centers to lead to them to a Stanley Cup.

All that does is perpetuate the Status Quo. The only way to break the cycle of mediocrity is by a sudden and drastic change. The franchise is not going to turn around by staying on the same course turning over the same parts each year. There simply are not the players available in free-agency no matter how much Pegula is willing to spend. Timing is everything as they say. As difficult as it would be to move many of the bad contracts the Sabres have, it may be less difficult this off-season compared to others.

Roster purges should not be reserved for those teams that "struggled to stay out of the basement four years running." A team like the Sabres need to take a realistic look at their roster and measure it against their ability to win the Stanley Cup. A honest and realist review of the roster will tell you that drastic change is needed. It doesn't mean that every player "sucks" or this team "sucks" as I am sure some would be ready to replay as such. If you are honest about this team you know that the current make-up of the roster is nowhere good enough and needs more than a player here and a player there.

Really? You want us to pull and Ottawa and just tank the team? Stafford is now overpaid cuz he got 4mil? Goose is overpaid cuz he makes a whopping 2.3? Pommers is sure, Hecht is most def. Miller and Vanek arent for 1 reason: We had to retain there services or right now we would have 0 stars and no credibility and be a joke like the edmonton or the isles. You overpay players when you have bad management because you have to. Do you think that if Vanek and Miller hit UFA tomorrow they would not get similar money? I think they would, and Vanek was edmontons doing. I disagree with how many players you think are overpaid as I am sure that other teams have similar issues. Pommers is, Hecht is. Boyes played well for the first little stretch then sucked but as he comes off the roster next year anyways who cares. Hecht and Goose could come off the roster at the end of next year as well. That leaves 1 bad contract at thats Pommers. You can nnot build a cup team in a summer. It would only happen next year if our team overachieved maybe next summer we have this conversation of we are getting closer but i do not see how dumping Miller, Vanek, Pommers, Boyes, Stafford, Hecht, goose, will suddenly net us the players to win. Whos gonna be our netminder? Whos gonna be our top winger? Stafford gets no chance to prove if hes worth that 4mil really? Trade Hecht idc, but who is gonna take Faceoffs with the game on the line apprently not Gaustad. Boyes was good for a stretch and I think if hes here for 1 reason now: It gives Kassian a Year to play AHL hockey before we need him up. I am sorry but destroying the team is not the same thing as chaning the status quo. Gerbe, Myers, Ennis, Weber, and maybe even MAG are changing the status quo by playing with heart. I just dont see the sabres as anything but bottom dwellers if they had done or do everything you say.

"the upcoming season", the season after that and the season after that. As long as Status Quo continues to run the hockey department nothing will change, including the results.

What's your rationale behind this team not being able to compete with only adding 1 or 2 players? Wasn't it only the removal of 2 players that sent them on a downward spiral to begin with?

Really? You want us to pull and Ottawa and just tank the team? Stafford is now overpaid cuz he got 4mil? Goose is overpaid cuz he makes a whopping 2.3? Pommers is sure, Hecht is most def. Miller and Vanek arent for 1 reason: We had to retain there services or right now we would have 0 stars and no credibility and be a joke like the edmonton or the isles. You overpay players when you have bad management because you have to. Do you think that if Vanek and Miller hit UFA tomorrow they would not get similar money? I think they would, and Vanek was edmontons doing. I disagree with how many players you think are overpaid as I am sure that other teams have similar issues. Pommers is, Hecht is. Boyes played well for the first little stretch then sucked but as he comes off the roster next year anyways who cares. Hecht and Goose could come off the roster at the end of next year as well. That leaves 1 bad contract at thats Pommers. You can nnot build a cup team in a summer. It would only happen next year if our team overachieved maybe next summer we have this conversation of we are getting closer but i do not see how dumping Miller, Vanek, Pommers, Boyes, Stafford, Hecht, goose, will suddenly net us the players to win. Whos gonna be our netminder? Whos gonna be our top winger? Stafford gets no chance to prove if hes worth that 4mil really? Trade Hecht idc, but who is gonna take Faceoffs with the game on the line apprently not Gaustad. Boyes was good for a stretch and I think if hes here for 1 reason now: It gives Kassian a Year to play AHL hockey before we need him up. I am sorry but destroying the team is not the same thing as chaning the status quo. Gerbe, Myers, Ennis, Weber, and maybe even MAG are changing the status quo by playing with heart. I just dont see the sabres as anything but bottom dwellers if they had done or do everything you say.

"Destroying a team" that isn't good enough to win the Cup is far from being as catastrophic as you want to believe.

What is the goal of this franchise? Being better than the Islanders and Oilers or is it winning the Stanley Cup? The "stars", as you put it, are not good enough to lead this team to a Cup. Even so let's keep them around because fans are afraid of not having "stars." Let's keep layering fand-aids over the problem and never really address them. Let's promote new rugs, coats of paint and free programs as "indicators" of real change while the same ineffectual roster takes the ice next season with the same results.

The Sabres are in a similar position as the Bills were in under Jauron. They were never the worst team in the league and they were also never close to being a championship contender. It is called mediocrity. As long as fans are willing to accept it you shouldn't expect different results.

Archived