OT - Hot Sauces

Taro T

I'm far from a connoisseur of hot sauces however I love them all the same. Picked up some Bayou Butt Burner when in LA on account of it winning some Scovie Awards, like the heat but it's got some good flavor to it.

I'm far from a connoisseur of hot sauces however I love them all the same. Picked up some Bayou Butt Burner when in LA on account of it winning some Scovie Awards, like the heat but it's got some good flavor to it.

Hot sauces have the best names in the biz. The only funnier names you'll find are old adult films.

I wish I had more time to test out a few different hot sauces since you can't beat spicy food. Unfortunately (not really the right word), I wind up falling back on the Frank's most of the time. But hey, it's better than nothing.

But on that note, I think I may be taking notes while reading this one.

You all know about Adventures in Heat on Main St. in Clarence, right? Probably the biggest selection of hot sauces, salsas, and other heat and barbeque related goods in WNY>

If you ever find yourself in Cincinnati, stop by Jungle Jim's. They have a massive hot sauce section (it's literally the size of a mid sized 7-11) and they regularly have tastings and experts from around the world in to talk about food heat. I can get Dinosaur BBQ's various sauces and rubs there, so I'm a regular customer.

The Store also has a fish hatchery in the seafood department.

Heh. My "serious" hobby is brewing beer. On average I brew between 50-75 gallons per year. Started out buying kits and worked my way into brewing from raw grains. I've been known to brew on Flying Bisons' pilot system from time to time. The owner is a great guy. I have 3 taps running in my house year round. Beer is an obsession of mine. If you need to ask any questions or want pointers send me a PM. I can talk beer for hours.

You know Tim from Flying Bison too? I used to bartend with Tim back before he opened the brewery. He taught me how to brew my first batch in my crappy Harlem rd apartment way back when. After I moved to NC I came back with a fellow homebrewer and we brewed a schwarzbier on the pilot system. I'm in town this week so I should definitely pay him a visit. Ill be brewing a citra hopped apa this weekend when I get home, yeast is on its way!

You know Tim from Flying Bison too? I used to bartend with Tim back before he opened the brewery. He taught me how to brew my first batch in my crappy Harlem rd apartment way back when. After I moved to NC I came back with a fellow homebrewer and we brewed a schwarzbier on the pilot system. I'm in town this week so I should definitely pay him a visit. Ill be brewing a citra hopped apa this weekend when I get home, yeast is on its way!

More than a few years ago I decided to put on a beer festival as a fund raiser. I didn't know a damned thing about how to get a beer festival started. I began knocking on doors at local breweries to see if I could get enough interest to get a respectable beer festival up and running. I didn't know Tim in any way back then. He volunteered TONS of information and advice in dealing with the state liquor authority. He went out of his way to help me with contacts and even spoke to a few other brewers for me. If it wasn't for Tim's help I'd have never gotten my beer festival off the ground. I ended up running that beer festival for 5 years. I've been a supporter of him and his brewery ever since. Good guy. He had some financial difficulties at the brewery and ended up selling part ownership to Matt's (makers of Saranac). Flying Bison had actually closed it's doors before the sale went through. Tim is still there as brewery manager but he's working for The Man these days. But he seems to be happy with the end result. He still gets to make beer for a living and most of the financial risk is someone else's now. I'm glad it all worked out for him. He's one of the Good Guys.

I'm way behind in my brewing efforts so far this year. Now that the ambient temps are up it's probably time to get a saison started. I'm thinking a nice estery Belgian strain, 25 IBU's, and Amarillo and Cascades for finishing hops.

Oh man, now you've done it.

Red: Tapatio. It has that nice hint of garlic to add depth.

Green: Goya brand Salsita. Amazing flavor, not too much heat so you can really slather it on. On a burrito with sour cream it is close to heaven. They also make a few other flavors that are pretty good.

All this talk about grilling and restaurants over here, and talk about potato chips over on Scott's other board's OTW section got me thinking about my favorite potato chips(Zapp's - a Louisiana staple (the Hotter n Hot Jalapeno and the Cajun Crawtators are legendary; not sure if they still make Tiger Tators - they're excellent as well - kind of a cross between the other 2 varieties IIRC (haven't had those in nearly 20 years)) which got me thinking about some hot sauces I haven't had in forever, which got me to order a couple of bottles of one of my favorite sauce

I just had both the Crawtators and Zapp's last weekend for the first time while visiting Lousianna. The Crawtators are amazing!!!

Red: Tapatio. It has that nice hint of garlic to add depth.

Green: Goya brand Salsita. Amazing flavor, not too much heat so you can really slather it on. On a burrito with sour cream it is close to heaven. They also make a few other flavors that are pretty good.

I like all of the Goya hot sauces. They are a bit shy with heat but they do have real good flavor. I probably have 5 different Goya hot sauces in my refrigerator right now.

For a general all-around hot sauce, I like Crystal. It is from Louisiana (and was not available in WNY until a couple years back). Not real hot, but good flavor (similar to Frank's). For more heat, I like a local product, Krista's Jamaican Hot Sauce. It is made by the owner/chef of Curly's Bar and Grill (in Lackawanna). Available in local grocery markets (Wegman's, Tops) Also online Krista's. Hotter than Crystal, with chunks of pepper. Good stuff!

More than a few years ago I decided to put on a beer festival as a fund raiser. I didn't know a damned thing about how to get a beer festival started. I began knocking on doors at local breweries to see if I could get enough interest to get a respectable beer festival up and running. I didn't know Tim in any way back then. He volunteered TONS of information and advice in dealing with the state liquor authority. He went out of his way to help me with contacts and even spoke to a few other brewers for me. If it wasn't for Tim's help I'd have never gotten my beer festival off the ground. I ended up running that beer festival for 5 years. I've been a supporter of him and his brewery ever since. Good guy. He had some financial difficulties at the brewery and ended up selling part ownership to Matt's (makers of Saranac). Flying Bison had actually closed it's doors before the sale went through. Tim is still there as brewery manager but he's working for The Man these days. But he seems to be happy with the end result. He still gets to make beer for a living and most of the financial risk is someone else's now. I'm glad it all worked out for him. He's one of the Good Guys.

I'm way behind in my brewing efforts so far this year. Now that the ambient temps are up it's probably time to get a saison started. I'm thinking a nice estery Belgian strain, 25 IBU's, and Amarillo and Cascades for finishing hops.

Oh man, now you've done it.

I'm not surprised with the amount of help that you received from Tim, the man is a walking beer encyclopedia and all around great guy. What beer festival did you run?

A nice saison is one of my favorite styles, I've brewed a few down here during the hot summer months. As you can probably imagine fermentation control is a challenge in NC. I've had my eye on a temp controlled 14 gallon conical fermenter for quite some time but I haven't yet pulled the trigger (read my wife won't let me). A friend brews a fantastic witbier hopped with amarillo, its a real crowd pleaser.

The craft beer scene has exploded here in NC since I moved here a decade ago. There were maybe two of breweries back then in the triangle and there are now close to ten. I'm a big proponent of supporting your local brewery.

All this talk about grilling and restaurants over here, and talk about potato chips over on Scott's other board's OTW section got me thinking about my favorite potato chips (Zapp's - a Louisiana staple (the Hotter n Hot Jalapeno and the Cajun Crawtators are legendary; not sure if they still make Tiger Tators - they're excellent as well - kind of a cross between the other 2 varieties IIRC (haven't had those in nearly 20 years)) which got me thinking about some hot sauces I haven't had in forever, which got me to order a couple of bottles of one of my favorite sauces.

Westlow's Bonney Pepper Sauce. The 1st ingredient is Bonney Peppers and the 3rd is mustard flour. A few dabs of that on a well grilled Sahlen's dog (and some catsup) is to die for. It is hot but not overpowering - a bit hotter than Weber's Hot Texas Sandwich Sauce and without the relish of the Webers.

That's a favorite. Another is Grand Anse #5 Pepper Sauce. About 3 drops in spaghetti sauce is awesome.

I also am fond of Armageddon Sauce from the Red Dog Tavern near Old Forge. That stuff is nasty hot but w/ a good flavor.

Ortego Sauce Pimente Brand is another good one to raise the heat w/out messing w/ the flavor too much. But don't add more than a few drops or it will overpower the dish. (It doesn't mess w/ the flavor, it just is pure heat in a bottle.)

Obviously, I'm a big fan of the standards - Frank's, Frank's Xtra Hot, Tabasco, & Melinda's. I'm not a fan of Dave's Insanity - I've got nothing against stupidly hot sauces (the 2 I described above fit that bill) but simply don't like it's flavor.

Any thoughts on good ones that you've come across? If so, let me know, I might already have them in my beer fridge or pantry and if not, I'm always looking for new keepers.

I have my own combo and additions to some traditionals. I start with an 8oz of Durkees Cayenne Pepper, then I put two varieties of chilli peppers, Jalopenos and into Red Wine Vinegar and let it soak for 3-6 mos and add about 1/2 cup and then add some tobasco to pump it up a littlle.

You all know about Adventures in Heat on Main St. in Clarence, right? Probably the biggest selection of hot sauces, salsas, and other heat and barbeque related goods in WNY>

I had never heard of that store. I'll have to check it out one of these days. :thumbsup:

And I will send a PM (probably sometime this fall) when I finally work up the nerve to try to brew a batch o' beer.

I just had both the Crawtators and Zapp's last weekend for the first time while visiting Lousianna. The Crawtators are amazing!!!

Every once in a while, I'll see Zapp's in either Topps or Wegmans. If you don't find 'em where you're at, they will ship from their website. I might have to have some shipped up around Epiphany along with a King Cake. I do miss bayou country.

I have my own combo and additions to some traditionals. I start with an 8oz of Durkees Cayenne Pepper, then I put two varieties of chilli peppers, Jalopenos and into Red Wine Vinegar and let it soak for 3-6 mos and add about 1/2 cup and then add some tobasco to pump it up a littlle.

Interesting. How long you been making the sauces? Also, do you grow your own peppers, or just go store bought?

I had never heard of that store. I'll have to check it out one of these days. :thumbsup:

And I will send a PM (probably sometime this fall) when I finally work up the nerve to try to brew a batch o' beer.

Every once in a while, I'll see Zapp's in either Topps or Wegmans. If you don't find 'em where you're at, they will ship from their website. I might have to have some shipped up around Epiphany along with a King Cake. I do miss bayou country.

Interesting. How long you been making the sauces? Also, do you grow your own peppers, or just go store bought?

I use my own when I can, but often pick out peppers from local farmers markets, not store bought. I just make them for myself and friends, 15 - 20 years for mostly chicken wings.

Blair Death sauce, Da Bomb and Endorphin Rush are pretty good for super nasty hot sauces.

For an everyday hot sauce with good heat I like the El Yucateco sauces, the green and red varities are both very good. I'm not sure of their availability in WNY, but you can pick them up at the mexican markets down here.

Archived