OT - Hot Sauces

Taro T

First harvest of the season. They are hybrid "Super Chilis". They taste like a hybrid of cayenne. And about as hot as cayenne too. This first batch is going to be turned into a Louisiana style hot sauce. The next round to be picked are going to be converted into a garlicky Sriracha style sauce. There is one lonely habenero in that bowl. I'm thinking pineapple-mango salsa. The rest of the habeneros are 2-3 weeks from being fully ripe. Gonna use those to make hot pepper relish, hot pickles, and pickled spicy beans. The leftovers are going to get dried. I'll grind them to make Jamaican Jerk rubs.

post-2557-008859900 1312735970_thumb.jpg

First harvest of the season. They are hybrid "Super Chilis". They taste like a hybrid of cayenne. And about as hot as cayenne too. This first batch is going to be turned into a Louisiana style hot sauce. The next round to be picked are going to be converted into a garlicky Sriracha style sauce. There is one lonely habenero in that bowl. I'm thinking pineapple-mango salsa. The rest of the habeneros are 2-3 weeks from being fully ripe. Gonna use those to make hot pepper relish, hot pickles, and pickled spicy beans. The leftovers are going to get dried. I'll grind them to make Jamaican Jerk rubs.

You should bottle and sell this stuff! That, or pay some insider to slip it into the Gatorade bottles of the away teams at HSBC.

Any chance you want to share some recipes with us? That sounds awesome.

I'm going to post some recipes here but first I want to throw out a disclaimer. All of these recipes require canning procedures for long term preservation. If you are not familiar with canning procedures please, please get a Ball Blue Book and get yourself informed about proper canning before trying these. If proper procedures aren't followed there is real risk of getting yourself, your family, and your friends very ill. The first rule of canning is to follow established recipes, don't make your own. Please do not consider my recipes as established. I feel my recipes are safe because I own a lab grade pH meter and I know that what I made was within the safe zone of pH for long term preservation. Your mileage may vary.

Having said all that, I feel secure that my recipes have enough safety factor built in to pass them along. But you use them at your own risk. And you certainly could make all of these recipes and keep them refrigerated and use them over the course of a month or two.

Now that the disclaimer messy-ness is out of the way...

Louisiana style hot sauce

1 lb cayenne/tabasco/or similar peppers (I used a hybrid called Super Chillies)

1 cup white vinegar

1 tsp kosher salt

1 Tbls agave nectar

2 cloves garlic, crushed

Remove stems and roughly chop peppers and garlic, place in a jar with the vinegar and salt. Lid up and let sit in refrigerator for 2-3 days. Empty the contents into a non-reative sauce pan and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add agave nectar while simmering. Put the whole mess in a blender and blend mixture at highest speed for about 5 minutes or until smooth. The blender will result in alot of air trapped in the sauce. We need to get rid of that air before canning. Put the mixture back into the sauce pot and simmer until the sauce no longer looks frothy. Spoon the sauce into Ball jars leaving 1/4" headspace, place the two piece lids, and process the jars in boiling water for 15 minutes. Remove jars from water and snug up the lids. The lids should "suck down" as the jars cool. If a lid doesn't "suck down" put that jar in the refrigerator and use the sauce within the next week to 10 days. Let the jars mellow for a couple weeks before opening and enjoying. Makes about 20oz of hot sauce.

Habenero Heaven Pepper Relish

about 12 large orange/red Habanero peppers, seeded for less heat or unseeded for ultimate heat (note that even seeded habs are very hot)

2 medium sized orange bell peppers, remove seeds and stem

1/2 vidalia onion

3 cloves garlic, chopped

3 Tbls agave nectar

1.5 Tbls kosher salt

Juice of 1 lime

1 cup vinegar

Roughly chop the habaneros, bells, onion, and garlic and place in a food processor. Pulse the processor to get a nice relish consistancy to the chop. Be careful opening the lid to the processor or you will get a face and lung full of natural tear gas. Put the pepper mash in a non reactive sauce pan, add the remaining ingredients. Simmer until the whole mix is about the consistency of store bought relish, about 15-20 minutes but it'll depend on the size and how much liquid is in your veggies. Ladle into canning jars leaving ~ 1/4" of headspace, afix two piece lids, and process in boiling water for 15 minutes. Remove the jars from the water and snug up the lids. Let sit for at least 2 weeks before using. Makes about 28oz. Use in place of regular pickle relish but be warned, it's got a kick. This hab relish is outstanding on Zweigle's white hots. BTW- you can alter the heat and flavor by subbing other chili peppers for the habs. I make a version with jalapenos and green bells that is less hot, less fruity, but is fantastic for dipping with tortilla chips. And mix it 50/50 with sour cream for a great chip dip. And of course it is tasty slathered on a Sahlen's dog as well. You could make a very medium-to-mild heat version with seeded jalapenos or poblanos with green bell peppers too.

After this last harvest I also made hot pepper dill pickles and pickled beans. The recipe I followed is straight out of the Ball Jar Blue Book of Canning with the simple addition of one habanero per jar. The Ball Blue Book is a magazine sized paperback that is sold most places where canning supplies are sold. I highly recommend that book to anyone interested in food preservation. It is a wealth of information that will keep you out of trouble and has safe, proven recipes for canning and food storage. And it is inexpensive.

Next week I'll have more habaneros and Super Chillies and I'm thinking of a habanero-carrot hot sauce that is big on hab flavor and I'll ramp up the heat by making sure all the seeds end up in the blender.

I'm going to post some recipes here but first I want to throw out a disclaimer. All of these recipes require canning procedures for long term preservation. If you are not familiar with canning procedures please, please get a Ball Blue Book and get yourself informed about proper canning before trying these.

Ok. None of that is going to happen in Eleven's kitchen. Especially not the part about the blue balls. And I don't own a pH meter; I can barely find the thermometer when I think I'm sick. But your recipes do seem interesting, especially the one for the pepper relish, so I'm going to try to broker a deal: If I send SDS an extra $25 for the clinic that helped his mom (see the T-shirt thread), will you send me a jar of that goodness?

I'm going to post some recipes here but first I want to throw out a disclaimer. All of these recipes require canning procedures for long term preservation. If you are not familiar with canning procedures please, please get a Ball Blue Book and get yourself informed about proper canning before trying these. If proper procedures aren't followed there is real risk of getting yourself, your family, and your friends very ill. The first rule of canning is to follow established recipes, don't make your own. Please do not consider my recipes as established. I feel my recipes are safe because I own a lab grade pH meter and I know that what I made was within the safe zone of pH for long term preservation. Your mileage may vary.

Having said all that, I feel secure that my recipes have enough safety factor built in to pass them along. But you use them at your own risk. And you certainly could make all of these recipes and keep them refrigerated and use them over the course of a month or two.

1 cup white vinegar

1 tsp kosher salt

1 Tbls agave nectar

2 cloves garlic, crushed

Remove stems and roughly chop peppers and garlic, place in a jar with the vinegar and salt. Lid up and let sit in refrigerator for 2-3 days. Empty the contents into a non-reative sauce pan and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add agave nectar while simmering. Put the whole mess in a blender and blend mixture at highest speed for about 5 minutes or until smooth. The blender will result in alot of air trapped in the sauce. We need to get rid of that air before canning. Put the mixture back into the sauce pot and simmer until the sauce no longer looks frothy. Spoon the sauce into Ball jars leaving 1/4" headspace, place the two piece lids, and process the jars in boiling water for 15 minutes. Remove jars from water and snug up the lids. The lids should "suck down" as the jars cool. If a lid doesn't "suck down" put that jar in the refrigerator and use the sauce within the next week to 10 days. Let the jars mellow for a couple weeks before opening and enjoying. Makes about 20oz of hot sauce.

about 12 large orange/red Habanero peppers, seeded for less heat or unseeded for ultimate heat (note that even seeded habs are very hot)

1/2 vidalia onion

3 cloves garlic, chopped

3 Tbls agave nectar

1.5 Tbls kosher salt

Juice of 1 lime

1 cup vinegar

Roughly chop the habaneros, bells, onion, and garlic and place in a food processor. Pulse the processor to get a nice relish consistancy to the chop. Be careful opening the lid to the processor or you will get a face and lung full of natural tear gas. Put the pepper mash in a non reactive sauce pan, add the remaining ingredients. Simmer until the whole mix is about the consistency of store bought relish, about 15-20 minutes but it'll depend on the size and how much liquid is in your veggies. Ladle into canning jars leaving ~ 1/4" of headspace, afix two piece lids, and process in boiling water for 15 minutes. Remove the jars from the water and snug up the lids. Let sit for at least 2 weeks before using. Makes about 28oz. Use in place of regular pickle relish but be warned, it's got a kick. This hab relish is outstanding on Zweigle's white hots. BTW- you can alter the heat and flavor by subbing other chili peppers for the habs. I make a version with jalapenos and green bells that is less hot, less fruity, but is fantastic for dipping with tortilla chips. And mix it 50/50 with sour cream for a great chip dip. And of course it is tasty slathered on a Sahlen's dog as well. You could make a very medium-to-mild heat version with seeded jalapenos or poblanos with green bell peppers too.

After this last harvest I also made hot pepper dill pickles and pickled beans. The recipe I followed is straight out of the Ball Jar Blue Book of Canning with the simple addition of one habanero per jar. The Ball Blue Book is a magazine sized paperback that is sold most places where canning supplies are sold. I highly recommend that book to anyone interested in food preservation. It is a wealth of information that will keep you out of trouble and has safe, proven recipes for canning and food storage. And it is inexpensive.

Next week I'll have more habaneros and Super Chillies and I'm thinking of a habanero-carrot hot sauce that is big on hab flavor and I'll ramp up the heat by making sure all the seeds end up in the blender.

Thank you weave, this is fantastic.

As an aside, my previous post was about eating wings with fresh cayenne. We hit them up again tonight at my friends establishment after hours and he revealed his recipe. They're made with Blair's Mega Death Sauce, Franks, butter, cayenne pepper, a little brown sugar, and cinnamon. I guess the cinnamon brings out the flavor.

I knew they were freaking hot, but didn't realize the intensity. Per wiki: Mega Death Sauce - A habanero sauce with cayenne, white vinegar, ancho chilies, chipotles, natural pepper flavor, molasses, guava nectar, ginger, salt, and spices. 550,000 Scoville units.

For being such a hot wing, they had some unbelievable flavor. Just creeps on you.

Ok. None of that is going to happen in Eleven's kitchen. Especially not the part about the blue balls. And I don't own a pH meter; I can barely find the thermometer when I think I'm sick. But your recipes do seem interesting, especially the one for the pepper relish, so I'm going to try to broker a deal: If I send SDS an extra $25 for the clinic that helped his mom (see the T-shirt thread), will you send me a jar of that goodness?

Can you imagine the precedent that would be set if I accepted your deal here? :blink: :wacko:

Thank you weave, this is fantastic.

As an aside, my previous post was about eating wings with fresh cayenne. We hit them up again tonight at my friends establishment after hours and he revealed his recipe. They're made with Blair's Mega Death Sauce, Franks, butter, cayenne pepper, a little brown sugar, and cinnamon. I guess the cinnamon brings out the flavor.

I knew they were freaking hot, but didn't realize the intensity. Per wiki: Mega Death Sauce - A habanero sauce with cayenne, white vinegar, ancho chilies, chipotles, natural pepper flavor, molasses, guava nectar, ginger, salt, and spices. 550,000 Scoville units.

For being such a hot wing, they had some unbelievable flavor. Just creeps on you.

Blair's stuff is not for the faint of heart. And it is pricey. I'm suprised they are using it in a restaurant setting ($$$). Hababero is the perfect foil to fruit. The flavor of the pepper matches well with alot of different fruits. And the sugar in the fruit helps tame the beast. And LOL at Blair's using "natural pepper flavor". With all those chilis is it really necessary? (actually I bet that is code for capsaicin extract, the stuff used to make pepper spray, if so, that stuff is nasty, pure unadulterated heat and burn)

As much as I like playing with chili peppers, when it comes to wings I'm a Buffalo sauce- medium guy. Call it my attempt at keeping a basic traditional flavor. I do like some of the hotter Buffalo Wild Wings sauces though.

1 cup white vinegar

1 tsp kosher salt

1 Tbls agave nectar

2 cloves garlic, crushed

1/2 vidalia onion

3 cloves garlic, chopped

3 Tbls agave nectar

1.5 Tbls kosher salt

Juice of 1 lime

1 cup vinegar

When do you work?

Blair's stuff is not for the faint of heart. And it is pricey. I'm suprised they are using it in a restaurant setting ($$$). Hababero is the perfect foil to fruit. The flavor of the pepper matches well with alot of different fruits. And the sugar in the fruit helps tame the beast. And LOL at Blair's using "natural pepper flavor". With all those chilis is it really necessary? (actually I bet that is code for capsaicin extract, the stuff used to make pepper spray, if so, that stuff is nasty, pure unadulterated heat and burn)

As much as I like playing with chili peppers, when it comes to wings I'm a Buffalo sauce- medium guy. Call it my attempt at keeping a basic traditional flavor. I do like some of the hotter Buffalo Wild Wings sauces though.

I don't like sauces with capsaicin. It's just heat for the sake of pain, with no flavor. Do it naturally or don't do it at all.

Archived