Confirmed: Sabres sign Ehrhoff

Punch

Supposedly, the Isles offered him an average of $6mil/season before talks broke down--- I'm open to the idea of him on our blueline (his softness is kind of negated by the addition of Regehr), but not necessarily for $6mil+ per year. I would also hope that the Sabres learned from NYs mistake, but there's no guarantee of that. FWIW, John Buccigross is assuming getting him to sign in Buffalo is a foregone conclusion.

Like Hecht, he's from "West Germany", so I wonder if Jochen is pulling a Leopold/Warrener (although that tactic didn't work for the Isles as Michael Grabner couldn't convince him to sign in Nassau).

Still, a very exciting time to be a Sabres' fan.

I find this crazy that I haven't gave a crap about the NHL Offseason in 10 years yet right now I am glued to the computer flipping from website to website. I really hope we can get this done. I think if we make this move we may actually sign 2 to 3 more mid range contracts and dump some other salary.

If we get Richards, Regher and Ehrhoff in the same off season I would be absolutely shocked. If we get Regher, Ehrhoff and another big time player of any caliber this off season will be a win in my book.

Here's another point...what better way to show Richards that we're serious about a Cup run than to get Ehrhoff?

I kinda get this vibe too... especially after hearing the WGR interview with Richards' agent. He stressed that Brad has won the cup before and he wants to be in a place that will do it again: A place that shows they are going to do it again. This kind of aggressive bargaining could be that kind of "action"

Can't believe I stop looking for an hour and this craziness pops up. I just read about NYI working on acquiring Ehroff and now this :-P.

Eh. It's not just the 2011/12 Roster that concerns me; Darcy and Uncle Terry are going to need to install a Scrooge McDuck swimming vault in Myers' house between now and next July. There's not a ton of money under the cap, even assuming another bump, which I'm not considering the expiration of the CBA, economic pressures worldwide and the problems with clubs who are getting killed under the 'salary floor' rules.

I'm not trying to be Mr. Killjoy (Hell, I just spent two hours on a blog post that supposes us getting Richards, Stastny and Talbot) but I'm still going to hope that he'll be okay with a little bit less on a cup contender, which he wasn't in Vancouver.

Time to deploy the Pegulajet!!!

He wouldn't accept less to live and play in Vancouver so I'm doubtful he'll accept less to live and play in Buffalo.

Supposedly, the Isles offered him an average of $6mil/season before talks broke down--- I'm open to the idea of him on our blueline (his softness is kind of negated by the addition of Regehr), but not necessarily for $6mil+ per year. I would also hope that the Sabres learned from NYs mistake, but there's no guarantee of that. FWIW, John Buccigross is assuming getting him to sign in Buffalo is a foregone conclusion.

Like Hecht, he's from "West Germany", so I wonder if Jochen is pulling a Leopold/Warrener (although that tactic didn't work for the Isles as Michael Grabner couldn't convince him to sign in Nassau).

Still, a very exciting time to be a Sabres' fan.

Besides maybe the team moving to west Germany, does anyone want ot sign to play at Nassau? The Islanders don't even want to play there

Here's another point...what better way to show Richards that we're serious about a Cup run than to get Ehrhoff?

I agree. But I think that for him to come here, you're looking at eating your entire cap if Ehrhoff also needs to be accounted for. I think Richards will go for WELL north of the $6.875/8Years (NY Post Numbers) that's been suggested and that his agent floating that number is to get blood in the water. If NYR and TOR get into a bidding war, he'll be priced out of the market...

...but I don't think that Richards is the be all end all. #stastnytobuffalo2011

Besides maybe the team moving to west Germany, does anyone want ot sign to play at Nassau? The Islanders don't even want to play there

Wait a second, don't the Sabres have a game in Germany this year? In fact they do, two actually. That could be their selling point.

No joke. The Islanders might be the last team I'd want to play for. Or the Panthers, and even that is debatable right now. If the Sabres are "Purgatory" as some here have claimed, then the Isles must certainly be Hell.

No joke. The Islanders might be the last team I'd want to play for. Or the Panthers, and even that is debatable right now. If the Sabres are "Purgatory" as some here have claimed, then the Isles must certainly be Hell.

The Panthers has Miami and the need to overpay to get to the salary floor, not the mention the possibility of a move to a legitimate Hockey city (which could be a plus or a minus).

Now, all that being said, it's possible that the Islanders turn it around. They've got a lot of pieces in place, they just need to finish putting it together.

I just think Garth Snow might not be the best guy for the job. Stevie Y, he is not.

I agree. But I think that for him to come here, you're looking at eating your entire cap if Ehrhoff also needs to be accounted for. I think Richards will go for WELL north of the $6.875/8Years (NY Post Numbers) that's been suggested and that his agent floating that number is to get blood in the water. If NYR and TOR get into a bidding war, he'll be priced out of the market...

...but I don't think that Richards is the be all end all. #stastnytobuffalo2011

I'm not worried about the cap. With Rochester + the 10% margin we're allowed, it can be done with a front loaded contract. Plus I think they'll add Talbot and let Connolly go. Connolly will be better off, he'll get more money on the open market than he would here. That also is my concern with Ehrhoff. I don't see why he wouldn't wait until Friday - it's only 2 days away!

My immediate reaction was, dammit, they're going to waste space on Ehrhoff, when the D is ok, and not go after a C.

On second thought...maybe this opens up 2D plus a prospect or a certain young G for a C.

Is there a team that needs those, which might have a C the Sabs might want? Is it in the Rockies?

(VERY hopeful.)

Here's hoping that the price haggling out on the Island had more to do with him not wanting to play for the New York Islanders and less to do with the money, because if he's looking well upward of $5 Million, then we're going to be strapped to make a move for Richards or Stastny.

Very exciting to see things happening though.

I think that the SABRES are not that worried about that at this point. I listened to TED BLACK a few hours ago and when asked if SABRES fans should strap in their seatbelts for Friday, he hesitated at first and then firmly said yes. I think the ERHOFF deal must of already been in the works and he still said that they will be big players on Friday. We all may be a little skeptic because these kinds of dealings are new to us, but they are basically what PEGULA promised. This is surely turning into one of the biggest off seasons. :w00t:

I'm not worried about the cap. With Rochester + the 10% margin we're allowed, it can be done with a front loaded contract. Plus I think they'll add Talbot and let Connolly go. Connolly will be better off, he'll get more money on the open market than he would here. That also is my concern with Ehrhoff. I don't see why he wouldn't wait until Friday - it's only 2 days away!

1) I'd love to have Max Talbot.

2) Perhaps between Jochen, the Regehr deal and a full court press, maybe we can lock him up. But, I worry about the same thing; why not wait when you're about to be the top free agent defenseman on the market?

3) We'll see where the cap numbers end up landing.

My immediate reaction was, dammit, they're going to waste space on Ehrhoff, when the D is ok, and not go after a C.

On second thought...maybe this opens up 2D plus a prospect or a certain young G for a C.

Is there a team that needs those, which might have a C the Sabs might want? Is it in the Rockies?

(VERY hopeful.)

I think you are referring to the Avalanche, but I know what you meant. It just took me a while to mentally switch sporting seasons.

I think you are referring to the Avalanche, but I know what you meant. It just took me a while to mentally switch sporting seasons.

That would be the one. And it would be one hell of a ballsy trade, considering the certain young G's upside.

Archived