Nathan Gerbe signed / RFA thread

thesportsbuff

I don't know much about him but Chad LaRose just re-signed in Carolina for 2 years. 1.7 cap hit. He had the same numbers as Gerbe last year but LaRose was a minus 21, Gerbe was a plus 11.

Not to mention Gerbe has more potential at age 24.

I liked him a lot in college and was worried a lot when it took him awhile to start being successful, or even looking to be potentially successful, in the NHL. Then suddenly he played like he belonged. But Gerbe is short, he is not necessarily small despite his measurables. The guy is a mini-tank, and looks as wide as he is tall. He has a solid frame, and IMO, Gerbe is "bigger" than Ennis although Ennis may be 2-3 inches taller (again, regardless of their listed height/weight). Both of them can play and be very successful in the NHL if they continue to progress. Their size really won't be much of a factor. And they both play completely different games.

Well, my bias is pretty obvious but I have to say I am relieved to see this signing. Gerbe + Ennis are why I became excited about the Sabres again this past season. Gerbe IMO embodies the adversity this team fought through last season and I think the team's (hopeful) resilience in this coming season can be much like Gerbe's "wakeup" this past January-February.

I don't know much about him but Chad LaRose just re-signed in Carolina for 2 years. 1.7 cap hit. He had the same numbers as Gerbe last year but LaRose was a minus 21, Gerbe was a plus 11.

I think it's the whole UFA years vs. RFA years thing.

Neato. So either he becomes the 25 goal/year scorer we all want him to be and we can re-sign him again in 2014, or the last 40 games of last season were a fluke and he's just a small player who isn't costing us all that much for the next three years.

But it's a committed roster spot either way. I don't like one-way deals for younger players; it's why I didn't mind seeing Timmy Kennedy go.

I liked him a lot in college and was worried a lot when it took him awhile to start being successful, or even looking to be potentially successful, in the NHL. Then suddenly he played like he belonged. But Gerbe is short, he is not necessarily small despite his measurables. The guy is a mini-tank, and looks as wide as he is tall. He has a solid frame, and IMO, Gerbe is "bigger" than Ennis although Ennis may be 2-3 inches taller (again, regardless of their listed height/weight). Both of them can play and be very successful in the NHL if they continue to progress. Their size really won't be much of a factor. And they both play completely different games.

You think he plays?

But it's a committed roster spot either way. I don't like one-way deals for younger players; it's why I didn't mind seeing Timmy Kennedy go.

Not a huge fan of them either, but they're better than NTC's.

And now that the Sabres' owner has more money than God and an apparent willingness to spend it, does a 1-way deal actually mean anything other than he'll be buying at the Dinosaur should he get sent down?

Larose is an aggressive fore-checker with pretty good hands.

I would compare him to Dan Paille....Larose is faster, not as good defensively, but gets more ice time and has a green light to hit, even if it puts him out of position.

Gerbe had 5 more points in 14 less games in his last year here compared to Kennedy. Gerbe has a lot more heart and fire than Tim did.

I like Gerbe a lot for this but don't sell Tim short on this point. He may not have the talent to make it in the NHL but he's getting his chance based on his heart and relentless work ethic. It is one thing Lindy used to complement him on before Kennedy and his agent violated that silent, sacred code.

I like Gerbe a lot for this but don't sell Tim short on this point. He may not have the talent to make it in the NHL but he's getting his chance based on his heart and relentless work ethic. It is one thing Lindy used to complement him on before Kennedy and his agent violated that silent, sacred code.

True. I love Tim Kennedy on a 2-way contract. On a 1 way with a guaranteed roster spot, not as much.

Kennedy will have his shot with Kevin Dineen. I hope he does well.

True. I love Tim Kennedy on a 2-way contract. On a 1 way with a guaranteed roster spot, not as much.

Kennedy will have his shot with Kevin Dineen. I hope he does well.

My understanding is that 2-way contract only effects the pay at each level. the CBA rules about waivers apply whether the contract is 1 or 2 way. so now that money is not an option, 2 way contracts don't really serve as big a purpose.

So can Gerbe move to center now? I think Gerbe making plays down the middle with Hecht on the wing to help out on D would be a nice combo. Plus, wouldn't his low center of gravity be an advantage on faceoffs?

please tell me you are being sarcastic. Gerbe may be listed as a center, and may have played there in college (?), but in the NHL, he won't last there IMO.

It's like in football, when an offensive lineman gets drafted, he may have played tackle in college, but he'll be projected as a guard in the NFL...

It's all how you're projected, and frankly, Gerbe is more natural on the wing.

My understanding is that 2-way contract only effects the pay at each level. the CBA rules about waivers apply whether the contract is 1 or 2 way. so now that money is not an option, 2 way contracts don't really serve as big a purpose.

On a 1-way the contract money is guaranteed. (not that that is such a big concern ...but under TG, there was no way they were putting a 1 M plus contact player in the AHL that would normally be paid less than 100,000 on a two-way.

please tell me you are being sarcastic. Gerbe may be listed as a center, and may have played there in college (?), but in the NHL, he won't last there IMO.

Shrader's head is going to explode if we have this conversation again. I don't believe that anyone has shown proof that Gerbe ever played center, even in college.

Shrader's head is going to explode if we have this conversation again. I don't believe that anyone has shown proof that Gerbe ever played center, even in college.

Shoot me now.

See, told you so.

Yeah...got it...

I have no idea where the idea comes from...hence the question mark at the end of my first statement. I couldn't find any logical explanation...

Shrader...sorry to continue the conversation :oops:

Archived